Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Gaming

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick Question.

Can you play FPS Games on Wireless yet?

The last time I checked, you could but it was so poor and prone to problems that no one bothered so Im wondering has anything changed.

Does anyone only use Wireless for online games?

If you can, should I get anything in particular on my Wireless Router, I will be buying a new one anyway so i want to make sure I have all my bases covered first.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

There's no problem using wireless to game, I've tested G(didn't try N), pinging the router I get <1ms(same as ethernet).There's no problem once the signal doesn't get too weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi all,

Quick Question.

The last time I checked, you could but it was so poor and prone to problems that no one bothered so Im wondering has anything changed.

If you can, should I get anything in particular on my Wireless Router, I will be buying a new one anyway so i want to make sure I have all my bases covered first.

Thanks

Playing FPS over wifi has NOTHING to do with the FPS but EVERYTHING to do with YOUR wifi. Make sure that you have at least 70% to 80% signal [more is better] and no competing wifi access points on the same channel.

Big granite or metal walls between the computer and wifi point would be a hindrance too :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi all,

Quick Question.

Thanks

Which type of wireless do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yeah thats the problem I have two big granite walls in between the Wireless point and my room. They were too thick to drill through thats why I was going to try wireless.

Do you know of any Routers that preform better than others?

Netgear/Cisco etc

Yeah thats the problem I have two big granite walls in between the Wireless point and my room. They were too thick to drill through thats why I was going to try wireless.

Do you know of any Routers that preform better than others?

Netgear/Cisco etc

Nail on the head, Mr. RangeR. I sort of remember something like this coming up a year or so ago but not sure if it was yourself.

Is there any chance that you can position the WiFi point in the room ABOVE/BELOW your computer [assuming ceiling/floor isn't solid granite/metal/concrete either :)]?

Would be MUCH easier drilling through the ceiling rather than the granite wall.

If you can do this, you SHOULD get close to 95% signal.

Wireless N MIGHT work better for you than G as it works in a sort of different way. You will need a Wireless N card or USB stick in your computer to pick up the signal. However, it might be an expensive excersize if it doesn't work.

I'd say, your best bet is to try get at least ONE cable into your computer room, even if you have to go through ceiling/floor. If you need more points in that room, you can always use a cheap €40 switch to break that out to 4, 8 or more network points.

*EDIT* At least you won't have the problem of nearby competing wifi access points on the same channel, with those granite walls :)

• Advertisement

Or using Homeplug is the easiest, no need to drill any holes, just use the power sockets as network outlets.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=6021

Or using Homeplug is the easiest, no need to drill any holes, just use the power sockets as network outlets.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=6021

Yeah, I've used them but they always seemed hit and miss for me. They'd work for a few hours then stop. I'd have to unplug both sides for a few seconds and put them back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

+1 on Homeplugs.
    I can recommend these homeplugs
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356937

yeah, could have been me all right, cant remember to be honest.

Its an apartment so cant go through the roof / ceiling and its too high up to try and run it outside along the side wall.

Those homeplugs look interesting if they worked properly they might be worth a shot.

The only other way I can see is to drop NTL and try one of the other providers, it would be easier to run a phone cable from the hall to the room but I quite like NTL so...

I've never had any problems with the Devolo plugs, they're on 24/7 with a voip phone on them, make sure they have the latest firmware.The only thing surprising is the throughput which seems to go no higher than 1megabyte/sec(wifi G does about 1.7megabyte/sec with a good signal).Latency between the plugs is about 3ms.

• Advertisement

Actually I seem to get 3megabytes/sec over wireless G.

Just to point out that you need to order TWO Home plugs...

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356937

Order finally arrived today only to discover that only one plug comes with every purchase

Just to point out that you need to order TWO Home plugs...

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356937

Order finally arrived today only to discover that only one plug comes with every purchase

Of course. Somebody should have told ye. You need one for each end of the network connection.

Well, you don't really. You need one at the switch / router side. Then you can dot 1, 2, 3, 4, more around the house as needed [one per device]. They don't have to be in multiples of two.

I tested my Devolo plugs again last night, got 6.6megabytes/sec throughput,FTP seems to be slower than HTTP file transfers that's why I thought it was 1megabyte/sec first.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

I tested my Devolo plugs again last night, got 6.6megabytes/sec throughput,FTP seems to be slower than HTTP file transfers that's why I thought it was 1megabyte/sec first.
    That's odd. FTP should in every sense be faster than HTTP file transfers. Most likely the HTTP site has a faster connection than the FTP your downloading from. On a LAN in work I use FreeNAS on a machine (to turn it into a NAS, obviously) and have Samba (Windows file sharing) and FTP set up and over the LAN I get speeds of around 7-8 MB/s through SAMBA and around 10-11 MB/s over FTP. In other words I get around 95-97 Mbps out of a 100 Mbps network which is incredibly efficient. FTP is designed for pure file transfer after all.

Just an update for anyone who is looking at this again.

Ended up getting the two sitecom home plugs and they worked fine for about week, then I had to send one back to RMA'ed.

However Komplett no longer stock them so I got issued with a credit note and to be fair they also offered to take the second one back.

You should try the Devolo plugs instead, I've had mine since October 08 and no problems. http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=6021

Advertisement