Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales of Monkey Island (PC & Wii)

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Anyone else excited? I didn't play much of the Sam and Max series but from what I did they seemed to make a good job of it.

Between this and Monkey Island SE it's a good time for adventure game fans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KevinObrien101

Looking good i guess lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Only managed to play the first episode of the Sam and Max games they made, but it seemed to do a decent job of capturing what they were all about. Think Steve Purcell was involved heavily too.

I'll certainly be looking forward to this!

Why in the heck are they releasing the SE on Xbox&PC but this newest episode on PC&Wii??

Damnit. Bet my PC wont be good enough to play it :(

I'm confused though.. is this a game or is it a television series?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's an episodic game, the same way as they've been doing the Sam & Max, Wallace and Grommit and Strong Bad games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If it'll work on wii I reckon your PC will run it ok. Sam and Max episodes were very light on hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's in good hands with Telltale, so I'm looking forward to it.

The PC version is available for preorder now, first episode comes out July 7th. If you preorder you get one episode of any other Telltale game for free also.

edit: 5 episodes, total preorder price is $35, which works out at just under €26 going by paypal and converting currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

So where is this? Today is the day! Site is down every time I check.

I think they're on Pacific time, so it's still quite early there.

Edit: Those forums really are taking a pounding! They just took them down entirely now as it seemed to be trashing the rest of the site.
    Sorry, have to take the forums back down for a bit.!

Launch of the Screaming Website

MOAR!
    Hey all. We know you're excited. We know, and we're glad. The first chapter of Tales of Monkey Island is so close that it hurts; our web server can attest to that. We don't want to keep you waiting, but you'll need to to bear with us for just a little while longer. All is being made ready now. It'll be worth it.

Due to the huge amount of traffic coming to the site, we've had to take the forums down for a bit. We're working on a way to get them back up without them murdering the rest of the site.

If you still haven't picked up Tales of Monkey Island yet, orders placed from now until "The Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" goes live will receive the pre-order bonus goodness. You don't have very long at all to get away with this, however.

A special apology to residents of Oceania for the game coming out well into July 8th over there. Perhaps you all should have thought about that before you decided that the International Date Line was a such a good idea, though.

• Advertisement

Looks like its about to release now, they've taken down the whole site and said on twitter that it will be back soon "with awesomeness".

Out now, site getting battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Anyone successfullly placed an order for it ? How does it work ? Do they send you an account link from which you can download the game ? I really must clear out the study so I can actually get to my desktop I doubt my NC10 will be able to play this game too well :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

PC Version is now up on the Steam Store - Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

its out now for download from telltales site too, got my email about it this morning so ill download it when i get home. Its been getting pretty positive reviews so far, and alot of monkey fans on another forum i post on are all saying nothing but good things about it, looks like monkey island is well and truly back!

TinCool: Once you purchase it it appears in the "my games" section of the Telltale site once you're logged in. You can download it from there as many times as you like. You can either use the provided serial key to install it, or your telltale username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Finished the episode there, i thought it was an excellent start and hope it can only get better.

(Would have prefered an MI 3 art style though but i would reckon that the 3D is easier for a monthly release model)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

About how long did it take to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

33 Euro

I assume that when we pay this initial fee we recieve all the episodes as they are released ...for free ?!!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yes €33 for the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can you only buy the bundle? If so, I might wait to see peoples opinions of the other episodes before I jump in.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    33 Euro

I assume that when we pay this initial fee we recieve all the episodes as they are released ...for free ?!!
    Azza wrote:
    Yes €33 for the lot.

Good god no! Do not buy it from Steam! Valve I think likes to rip us off, you can by their own games cheaper in the shops than on Steam.

Buy it from the Tell Tale Games own website: http://www.telltalegames.com/store/talesofmonkeyisland , It's only 25 euro there.

Started playing this this evening, and I think Telltale have done a superb job. Bought mine direct from Telltale rather than through Steam with the preorder offer.
    If the rest of the episodes are of similar quality it'll be well worth the money. Telltale usually have upgrade offers to let people upgrade from one episode/chapter to the full series at a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Just finished it now as well.

Initial review: "Pleasantly surprised".

It's definitely not made by the same folks as the previous games in the series, but makes a good attempt to capture the spirit of Monkey Island.

It could have been far more innovative though; some of it feels like "been there, done that (in hundreds of other adventure games)".

And I'm NOT a fan of that control scheme at all!

7/10 from me.

(and eagerly looking forward to the rest of the episodes)

Agreed on the controls, gimme simple point and click, not click and drag!

Stephen wrote: »
    Agreed on the controls, gimme simple point and click, not click and drag!

While i'd prefere point and click, i don't mind the whole click and drag thing and I got used to it fairly quickly. (Apparently they did the click and drag thing as it allows for much more dynamic camera movement... But really its because they actually made it for the consoles over the PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

thinking of buying this alright. gonna check it out first before commiting to the whole series. Anyone know if telltale will ship the dvd version when its released to ireland or is it just america?

grimm2005 wrote: »
    thinking of buying this alright. gonna check it out first before commiting to the whole series. Anyone know if telltale will ship the dvd version when its released to ireland or is it just america?

Ireland too, i think it costs €2.50 for postage though.

grimm2005 wrote: »

Apparently there's a demo. When I installed it I was given the option of logging in to my Telltale account to unlock the full episode, or to proceed without authentication and play the demo mode.

Here's the link for the demo: http://www.telltalegames.com/demo/launchofthescreamingnarwhal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

When is this out on the Wii? I'm in work at the moment and the sites i'd normally check for this are all blocked.

Advertisement