Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bollydance Superstars?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about this?

About it.. I have read

Magic Journey The time of a spectacle to the thousand and one colors, Bollydance Superstars transports you in song, music and dance in the magic, voluptuous and enchanter atmosphere of Egypt and India! Benefit from this invitation to the voyage in coming to admire a spectacle with more than 20 artists for 2 hours live on stage: Troop of Belly Dancers, Troop of Bollywood Dancers, Musicians, Percussionists, Singers, the many choreographies, the many costumes …

"An electric, festive and vibrant show which celebrates the sharing and artistic richness of the Marvellous East"

Sounds good, doesn't it..

But.. that quote, supposedly from the New York Times, is not in any archive I can find.
    And the show supposedly played stateside, I'm looking for a review in the states.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

bollydance.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Went to this last Sunday. To be honest the first half of the show was slow (the Indian part of the show). The band, who I'm sure if you liked that music were great but it was so boring. They definitely played for too long. The solo bollywood dancer was good however I wasn't too keen on the bollywood dance troop. However, the second half (eygpt part) was so much better. The music was much more lively and the bellydancers were brilliant. I'm a bellydancer myself and really enjoyed the second half. Second half made it worth going to see in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

mandz wrote: »
    Went to this last Sunday. To be honest the first half of the show was slow (the Indian part of the show). The band, who I'm sure if you liked that music were great but it was so boring. They definitely played for too long. The solo bollywood dancer was good however I wasn't too keen on the bollywood dance troop. However, the second half (eygpt part) was so much better. The music was much more lively and the bellydancers were brilliant. I'm a bellydancer myself and really enjoyed the second half. Second half made it worth going to see in my opinion.

Yeah, I went to it too anyway!

I liked the music, but thought it out of place at a "dance spectacular".

I did quite like the dance troupe though, thought the guy was really good.

The belly dancers though were incredibly brilliant.
    Very very sexy too.

The sword girl in particular was outstanding!

Yes the bellydancers were outstanding. We were talking about it before class the other night and our teacher was saying the gang that she went up with were discussing the girls and reckoned at least two had boob jobs.. we just laughed. The sword dancer was great I reckon the sword however was resting on her top not her actual chest.

One of the girls had a fabulous pink costume so I have now decided I want a pink costume...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darkeyes

I loved the veil choreography that was very well done.
    What I didn't like about the Bellydance, was the fact that the style they were performing was American Bellydance, which is quite different to the Egyptian style which the pictures of the slideshow were suggesting. So what was presented was actually something very Western but was sold as being Arab. The Bollywood troupe was a hoot, -what energy :-)

Yes the bellydancers were outstanding. We were talking about it before class the other night and our teacher was saying the gang that she went up with were discussing the girls and reckoned at least two had boob jobs.. we just laughed. The sword dancer was great I reckon the sword however was resting on her top not her actual chest.

One of the girls had a fabulous pink costume so I have now decided I want a pink costume...

Boob Jobs?
    Oh, because of the movement.. and.. err.. lack of movement?
    I just think they were really good! Even if the sword was on her top, it was still some skill to get it to stay, and on her head, and her waist!

• Advertisement

darkeyes wrote: »
    I loved the veil choreography that was very well done.
    What I didn't like about the Bellydance, was the fact that the style they were performing was American Bellydance, which is quite different to the Egyptian style which the pictures of the slideshow were suggesting. So what was presented was actually something very Western but was sold as being Arab. The Bollywood troupe was a hoot, -what energy :-)

Whats the difference?

Boob Jobs?
    Oh, because of the movement.. and.. err.. lack of movement?
    I just think they were really good! Even if the sword was on her top, it was still some skill to get it to stay, and on her head, and her waist!

Oh yeah I totally agree they were excellent. Even if it was on her top she was still bopping it up and down!! I'd love to know how they got the sword/canes to sit on their hip... I've been trying with my dancing cane but can't quite get it!! Have it balanced on the head though so I'm getting there :D

Oh yeah I totally agree they were excellent. Even if it was on her top she was still bopping it up and down!! I'd love to know how they got the sword/canes to sit on their hip... I've been trying with my dancing cane but can't quite get it!! Have it balanced on the head though so I'm getting there :D

Wow, thats pretty cool..
    Do you perform..

The only place I've seen bellydancers before that night was at Sinners restaurant.

My Friend was inspired and has taken it up, but more as a fitness thing.

I took it up as a fitness thing but have got really into it over the past year. I'm no where near the level of the dancers at the show!!

I've performed in a couple of shows and in a restaurant for my teacher's various fundraisers and in a number of haflas. Classes finish up now for the summer so will have to keep practising at home!! I've a tendency to get lazy over the summer.

There's a number of classes that are run in Dublin, all different types too!

I took it up as a fitness thing but have got really into it over the past year. I'm no where near the level of the dancers at the show!!

I've performed in a couple of shows and in a restaurant for my teacher's various fundraisers and in a number of haflas. Classes finish up now for the summer so will have to keep practising at home!! I've a tendency to get lazy over the summer.

There's a number of classes that are run in Dublin, all different types too!

haflas ?

Yeah, my firend went to "tribal" bellydance.. whatever that means

• Advertisement

Sorry, hafla is hebrew for "celebration". They are just a get together of dancers where everyone gets up and dances in front of everyone.

I do cabaret but tried a tribal fusion "pops'n'locks" class... I'd be interested in taking it up but prob is there all in Dublin which is a pain. We're hoping to get a tribal class going down our way.

I'd definitely recommend bellydancing!!

Advertisement