Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job description issue

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

Hey guy's. I'm writing on behalf of a friend whom when I worked with him stood together with me against unfair rules being brought in.

He is a barman in a hotel and recently has been told that the full time bar staff are now to rotate the night porter position. He's obviously against this. Now it get's a little muddy, about 2years ago the hotel tried to get us to sign a new contract but myself and himself didn't due to a clause that made us "General workers" expected to do any job requested and in any of it's sister hotels. The MD at the time back down to our request (it takes two to change a contract and all that) but pressured others to sign it. Before that he was never given a written contract and his claim is that his job description is therefore defined by what he did (i.e bar work).

Can anyone put in an opinion on the situation?

Also there is another full time member of bar staff, female and does all day shifts. If (as is likely) she is not asked to share the brunt could it be construed as positive discrimination?

Thanks (Hope I put this in the right place)

Advertisement