Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New career in photography???

• 03-06-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey I have just finished a 3 year degree course in interior architecture which I love but I think I would prefer to get involved in photography. I have no experience in it at all just taking pictures of friends and family. What I would like to know is:
    1. Is there a good market out there for photography as a career? Especially the way the country is now.....
    2. Do I have to go back to college to get a career in photography.(as I would prefer not to as I have been in college for 4 years now)
    3. Will photographers take me on as an assistant with no experience or qualifications?[/
    4. I am very interested in Photoshop do all photogray need to be experienced in this
    5. I live in the West of Ireland and I would prefer not to travel to Dublin on courses or work experience..... Even though I do know this is where I would gain the best experience. So does anyone know if the West have any opportunities for me
    6. And finally I have been looking for jobs in this area and I found jobs with pixifoto, they train you up and then you go around the country as a mobile photographer.

Or I could go on a cruise and work as a photographer there. Is this a good idea or should I go to a professional photographers studio and get experience there

I am sure I have lots more questions to ask I just can’t think of them now!! Any more information that you have on this topic will be great to know....

THANKS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

1) It depends on exactly what market of photography you are looking to go in to - wedding, portrait, sport, photojournalism, landscape, wildlife, architectural, fashion, etc

2) In general, no. You just need a good portfolio.

3) All depends. In most cases, you will need a portfolio to show you can at least take some decent photos.

4) No, you don't need vast experience here. A basic understanding always helps though.

5) No idea, but again, it depends on what field of photography you want to get in to.

I hope this is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 s00056129

thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

studio portraits and wedding photography seem to be where all the work is. for both you will need good people skills. offer free headshots to drama students while u get experience with lighting and build up your portfolio. thats one area i havent got any experience in but its good to be versatile.

most important thing is to get out there with your camera and click away, and also learn all the technical stuff so you can get exactly the results u want from your slr and lenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 s00056129

thanks a mill.... i stil dont know if i should go for it or not.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

s00056129 wrote: »
    thanks a mill.... i stil dont know if i should go for it or not.........

You probably need to chat with photographers who may show you more options.

This may be of use, especially the reference to City and Guilds exams.

http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DBAllCareerFrame.jsp?id=858

I think it is possible to sit them while studying at home and not being signed up to a specific course.

Strangely enough, recessions are often times of great creativity and lead many people to change work practices so you may find that opportunities come your way that might not have been possible a few years ago.

Linking photography and architecture might be worth exploring?

There are many low profile jobs that are very important, where documentary photographers work creating and maintaining pools of social documentary. I remember borrowing material from a pool of photographs run by the civil service which was almost impossible to find and even more difficult to negotiate with, but which had a vast store of wonderful work.

Also, reading about how photographers work might help?

http://www.wpja.com/wedding-photographers/new-york-city-photojournalist.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

what sort of equipment do you have?
    if you just have a standard P&S, you're not going to get very far, if you are going to earn money as a photographer a range of lenses, lighting equipment and of course at least will good body is an obviouse essential.

If you don't have a DSLR or any SLR, I'd say get yourself one and start experimenting and build up experience. Most importantly decide what area of photography you want to work in.

Of course if you already have all of this done then you're well on your way. It's all about experience and experimenting. Do as much work as possible for family and friends for free, go to local sports matches if that's what you're interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

kateos2 wrote: »
    if you are going to earn money as a photographer ...a good body is an obvious essential

:D

I'm a slob & I'm doing OK

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheWealth

You actually asked a question I have been thinking of myself for a long time...I want to get into photography as more than a hobby. All the above information I have learnt something from just reading it there...however, the one thing I think you need more than anything is the determination to go any take the photos...making those treks to get the photos you want or working your hardest to make sure you do it right

Advertisement