Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day,worst band ever?

• 03-06-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

The new song rips of the stone roses so much that I actualy think it is the stone roses playing,then I have to launch myself at the remote to stop my ears bleeding.

Aye,I do know my enemy,it's you greenday ya *****!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Bit of a kneejerk reaction to a single you don't like.And it sounds NOTHING like the Stone Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thats some first post there :rolleyes:

Have to agree with you on the new album though. I've been a long time fan of Green Day, since the first single all those years ago.

American Idiot was tollerable, some catchy tunes but the latest offering I only managed to listen to it once and that was under protest. I couldn't wait for it to finish.

The Offspring went the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 the fall guy

Bit of a kneejerk reaction to a single you don't like.And it sounds NOTHING like the Stone Roses

Have you even heard "I Am The Resurrection"?

The intro is identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The new song rips of the stone roses so much that I actualy think it is the stone roses playing

Have you ever actually listened to The Stone Roses?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Have you ever actually listened to The Stone Roses?

Play Know Your Enemy and I am The Resurrection back to back,the intro is the exact same.

Plus they have been ****e for years.Dookie was good but they bore me to tears now.

Fecking dad rock.

• Advertisement

If you like Dookie then they're not "the worst band ever".

Play Know Your Enemy and I am The Resurrection back to back,the intro is the exact same.

The drumbeat is somewhat similar. Therein the comparison ends. Your point is moot.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The drumbeat is somewhat similar. Therein the comparison ends. Your point is moot.

Baws.

It's identical,it's actualy a blatant rip off.

Baws.

Meh. Plenty of drum intros sound like this to be honest. The Light Pours Out Of Me by Magazine, Rocks by Primal Scream to name but two.

I still wouldn't class the song as a Stone Roses rip-off because the rest of it is so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

back to topic

yes greenday are the worst band ever

the new single is so poor it not even funny
    mind you i've always hated them

rgds

• Advertisement

Plus you're in the wrong forum-they're not alternative and indie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RageBeat

Green Day are a great band.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that their newer stuff isn't even half as good as their older stuff. But it's not bad.
    Dookie & Nimrod are their best albums imo.
    And everyone says how **** they think American Idiot was, but I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

No, Green Day are not the worst band ever.

Their early albums are arguably the stand-out albums of a generation. So many people cite them as the "first band they really got into" and you can bet many of the musicians we love today picked up an instrument to be like Green Day (and then grew up and found their own sound... etc. )

They later stuff may be more hit than miss, but you can't say they're a terrible band, that's kinda like saying the Rolling Stones are the worst band in the world... etc etc etc.

As for ripping off the drums, am I correct in the assumption that you can't copyright a rhythm? That's why drummers in bands are often left off the writers list (which I don't really agree with usually). I'm sure someone in the drumming know can come along and go "oh yeah, start of I Am The Resurrection, that's X Y Z pattern, used in about 100 songs I can name... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

One trick ponies

Only know 3 chords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

They also rip off Mott The Hoople's All the Young Dudes with their 21 Guns

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Rip off - influenced by - meh. Isn't it all the same?
    Green day have a great couple of albums, but imo have gone downhill alot with their last two offerings.

Keep it civil, i have no problem with a discsussion but if there's anymore short posts stating:
    They're sh it. etc. I'll lock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Baws.

So you've gone from "The new song rips of the stone roses so much that I actualy think it is the stone roses playing" to "the intro is identical to that of I Am The Resurrection" to "the drumbeat is identical/a blatant ripoff".

Don't insult the poor Roses. Yes, Know Your Enemy is appalling, as are most Green Day songs. And yawn to anyone who says "you're just saying that to be cool" to sentiments like mine.

This is also more suited to Rock & Metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

One trick ponies

Only know 3 chords

Uhhhhh. No. Someone obviously doesn't know their stuff very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ConorM95

They aren't bad. Granted that Know Your Enemy is the only good song on it.... Sounds nothing like Queens of the Stone Age though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Worst band ever....no way, thats Milli Vanilli territory :D

But I do hate them, cant stand them and I like a lot of rock bands....I think its the bass player/drummers (dunno which) incredibly annoying nasal-geeky voice, or it could be the singers oversized head....either way they dont agree with me. And their songs are pants too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

How can you say they're the worst band ever when these yokes existed?:pac:

250.jpg

Really, Green Day's new song is muck, but they're hardly the worst band EVAR!1 , juding by their former glories at least. It's all subjective anyway- hell, I'm sure somebody out there (god help them) thinks Pussycat Dolls are the best band in the world- it's all about taste).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

To call them "the worst band ever" is a major exagoration. There are plenty of worse bands out there. Plenty more better ones too. Sure, you and I and several others here may not their music, but there are plenty more that do. Those guys go out on stage and give it everything they've got, playing tight and rocking whichever city they're playing at. How is that grounds for making them the worst band ever. Even if they are 3 chord ponies.

Ever heard of Rush? You prob wouldn't like they're music either. Doesn't mean they're bad musicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Eh, Nickelback?

Perspective, people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Durrr. Lemme think. I really like Green Day, in fact I am going to go to the gig when they come to the O2 in October, but the new song SUCKS. And from what I've heard of the album from the 30 second clips on iTunes...I don't think I'll buy it, though I think I might have to so I won't be standing like an odd thing in the O2.

Would it be right to say that the album sounds really...old? Like dad rock or something. They showing they age.

It's exactly the same thing as American Idiot all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Acacia wrote: »
    How can you say they're the worst band ever when these yokes existed?:pac:

250.jpg

Really, Green Day's new song is muck, but they're hardly the worst band EVAR!1 , juding by their former glories at least. It's all subjective anyway- hell, I'm sure somebody out there (god help them) thinks Pussycat Dolls are the best band in the world- it's all about taste).

Greenday have a thin veneer of credibility as they play their own instruments/write their own songs etc. They've had critical acclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Eh, Nickelback?

Perspective, people.

Nickleback are legends and total pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

LD 50 wrote: »
    To call them "the worst band ever" is a major exagoration. There are plenty of worse bands out there. Plenty more better ones too. Sure, you and I and several others here may not their music, but there are plenty more that do. Those guys go out on stage and give it everything they've got, playing tight and rocking whichever city they're playing at. How is that grounds for making them the worst band ever. Even if they are 3 chord ponies.

Ever heard of Rush? You prob wouldn't like they're music either. Doesn't mean they're bad musicians.

Probabaly 3 of the most talented musicians ever!!!

I wouldnt be a Green Day fan by any stretch of the imagination but you cant just say they're s***e, if you dont like them thats grand, so just dont listen to them. Simple!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Stone Roses, worst band ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Plus they have been ****e for years.Dookie was good but they bore me to tears now.

Fecking dad rock.

I dunno mate they've been somewhat spectacular for years, have you seen a live show recently? say what you want about the current single but the men can write songs and dammit they can fairly put on a show...

Advertisement