Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day,worst band ever?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Green Day the worst band ever?

OP have you not heard of U2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The new song rips of the stone roses so much that I actualy think it is the stone roses playing,then I have to launch myself at the remote to stop my ears bleeding.

Aye,I do know my enemy,it's you greenday ya *****!

Where did the popularity come from? (Serious question)

I remember owning Nimrod years ago and I dont think they were anything near mainstream - am I remembering right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

they're not.

dookies pretty cool.

i like the idea behind the whole american idiot thing.

but yes. the new stuff.
    not so cool.
    at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Green day were fantastic back in the day. Dookie is one of the best punk albums ever. Insomniac and Nimrod are both great too. They have gone downhill since then, and i'm a little uncomfortable with their overly political themes to be honest. They were more fun when they were singing about drugs and masturbation.

They are an extremely influential band (though they are responsible for some terrible bands) and are fantastic live. Really fantastic live.

Ripping off the Stone Roses drum-beats? I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

KTRIC wrote: »
    The Offspring went the same way.

I agree with everything that you said but this,if anything they've gotten better.
    Rise and Fall,Rage in Grace is my favourite album by them,not a single weak song on it.

As for Green Day,I like everything other than the new one. I loved Dookie,American Idiot etc but this one just so...boring.
    I blame that Foxborough-whatevertheircalled band they made for the crappiness of the new album,but their still a great band for everything else.
    efla wrote: »
    Where did the popularity come from? (Serious question)

I remember owning Nimrod years ago and I dont think they were anything near mainstream - am I remembering right?

They've been incredibly popular ever since Dookie came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

smooch71 wrote: »
    Stone Roses, worst band ever.

:rolleyes:
    I agree with everything that you said but this,if anything they've gotten better.
    Rise and Fall,Rage in Grace is my favourite album by them,not a single weak song on it.

What?! I'd say every song on it is weak bar one.

Not a patch on Smash, Ixnay or Americana

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What?! I'd say every song on it is weak bar one.

Not a patch on Smash, Ixnay or Americana

Those albums had better singles but as whole albums I always find myself skipping loads of tracks on them.
    Notice how I was only saying that Rise Fall is my favourite,I wasn't saying that it is the best full stop.

Anyway,Nickelback,most annoying band ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

In the top 3 I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Are we talking about band bands here? (ie. ones that actually write their own songs and play their own instruments.)

Because if it were just top 3 bad groups in general there would be no top 3. It'd have to be top 100 to make any dent in the badness.

Personally I can't stand Avenged Sevenfold. I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Probabaly 3 of the most talented musicians ever!!!

I wouldnt be a Green Day fan by any stretch of the imagination but you cant just say they're s***e, if you dont like them thats grand, so just dont listen to them. Simple!!
    Yes they really compare to
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zep
    Frusciante
    Eric Clapton
    Ray Charles
    Louis Armstrong
    Neil Young
    The Beatles

Umm yes the greatest musicians ever.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Greenday have a thin veneer of credibility as they play their own instruments/write their own songs etc. They've had critical acclaim.

Which is why they don't qualify for worst band ever. Imo, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Acacia wrote: »
    Which is why they don't qualify for worst band ever. Imo, of course.

But thats what makes them even worse than Steps for me. They're the wolf in sheeps clothing. At least with the pop groups of the late 90s they were evidently bad, bands like greenday come out with equally banal music yet critics sing praises of them. 90% of faux mockney indie rock too. I guess the banality is a large contributor. Hell even way back in 2000 indie rock was way better when I was listening to Phantom, not great by any means but there was some interesting stuff there, The Marbles if I remember correctly.

Back to the point, do I think Greenday are the worst band ever, nah, but its enjoyable to think that atm. I don't think its even possible for such a band to exist. Even The Shags don't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

But thats what makes them even worse than Steps for me. They're the wolf in sheeps clothing. At least with the pop groups of the late 90s they were evidently bad, bands like greenday come out with equally banal music yet critics sing praises of them. 90% of faux mockney indie rock too. I guess the banality is a large contributor. Hell even way back in 2000 indie rock was way better when I was listening to Phantom, not great by any means but there was some interesting stuff there, The Marbles if I remember correctly.

I do agree to a certain extent (critics praising a certain band because they're supposedly indie or underground). But I don't think Green Day are exactly 'wolf's in sheep's clothing' i.e. a pop band pretending to be rock, at least not back in the old days. I think they played and wrote music because they liked it, not necessarily to make money. I think Avril Lavigne would suit that criteria better- she has credibility because she apparently writes her own stuff but she's really pop marketed as rock.

Ah yes, old Phantom *sheds nostalgic tear* :pac:

Back to the point, do I think Greenday are the worst band ever, nah, but its enjoyable to think that atm. I don't think its even possible for such a band to exist. Even The Shags don't qualify.

Yes, it's impossible to say what the worst band ever is because it's different for everyone. It's all pretty redundant really because music's subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I dunno lads.

You have to give the new album afew listens. Its actually a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

totally agree with you there. Green day are like a stepping stone towards a whole new world of music, I cant stand them now but if it wasnt for them I wouldn't be listening to any of the stuff i'm listening to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

Only got 1 quick listen to the new album and im not too impressed. I've been a GD fan for years and have seen every gig they've played here (bar 1 in '95) but the new stuff isn't really great, maybe a few more listens and i'll warm to it. even though i don't think youi should have to warm to an album it should instantly grab you.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I thought they were great when I was about 16 or 17.
    Havent listened to them for the last 8 or 9 years though.

Il never forget their gig in the SFX ages ago. It was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

bigbadcon wrote: »
    I thought they were great when I was about 16 or 17.
    Havent listened to them for the last 8 or 9 years though.

Il never forget their gig in the SFX ages ago. It was class.
    My flat mate is forever on about that gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mediafreak

i agree about the one who said that Green Day was like a spring board to exploring new types of music. well at least they've lasted this long and trying to come up with new material - even though most people would end up loving the first releases anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Yes they really compare to
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zep
    Frusciante
    Eric Clapton
    Ray Charles
    Louis Armstrong
    Neil Young
    The Beatles

Umm yes the greatest musicians ever.....:P

Ladystrange was talking about the quote in her post, and the band in it...

Rush.

Who are ridiculously talented. Neil Peart is not a god, he is god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Personally I hate Green Day and everything about them,I have since they first came around and always will but are they the worst band ever?

I think these guys could argue a case for that particular honour.

<
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Green Day still suck mind.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

Well i've had the album on repeat in work for the last few days and i'm still not sold on it completely. There are a few good songs, a few songs with good and bad bits and then theres some bad songs! I wouldn't say it grows on you, you'll either like it or you won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

The new song rips of the stone roses so much that I actualy think it is the stone roses playing,then I have to launch myself at the remote to stop my ears bleeding.

Aye,I do know my enemy,it's you greenday ya *****!

The worst band? Nah, I thing *whispers* Busted are the worst band ever. Please, don't stab me for uttering the bands name! I know, I'll probably like them . . . in the Year 3000 . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Don't know about 'worst band ever', but I won't ever forgive them for ruining the last few weeks of my schooldays with that 'Time of Your Life' tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Radioswim

Are you kidding me? They're not the worst, I know for a fact there are worse. But to think they're far from it, is a completely ignorant thought.
    I can't say they aren't capable of writing good music, because they probably are. But if I were to base their talent on what they've written so far? (musically) I would say they are completely and utterly without it. I mean, their latest single, "know your enemy" is a completely shallow piece of work.
    Even the lyrics are much worse than what billy is normally capable of. Not really saying much for their older work anyways. I'll admit, as a slightly uneducated young teenager I used to listen and enjoy their debut album.
    As I've become more accustomed to music and art however, I then realized how completely untalented they really are. I mean, neither one of them even display any real technical music skill. Something even worse bands have been able to accomplish. How long have they been playing their respective instruments? It appears that rather then progressing their musical writing/playing abilities, they've been performing on a plateau (some would say regressing).
    The worst? I wouldn't say so. albeit not a stones throw away.

vflhp wrote: »
    The worst band? Nah, I thing *whispers* Busted are the worst band ever. Please, don't stab me for uttering the bands name! I know, I'll probably like them . . . in the Year 3000 . . .

Busted are hilarious now when you look back on them.
    McFly and Son Of Dork are atrocious though.

Advertisement