Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word field referencing

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Is there any way in MS Word to put in a field or something similar so like excel we can reference it to a certain value? I know I could use find / replace to change the text only I was wondering is there any other way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Julia Set

Yes, it should be possible. Look up field codes in the MS Word help files. These facilitate the automation of certain aspects of a document like performing calculations (as in Excel) or merging data from a data source for mail-merge. Just choose an appropriate field code for your task - dates, page numbers, names, titles, etc.

To quote some information from the Word 2007 help files: Field codes appear between curly brackets ( { } ). Fields behave like formulas in Microsoft Office Excel — the field code is like the formula, and the field result is like the value that the formula produces. You can switch between displaying field codes and results in your document by pressing ALT+F9.

To insert field code brackets using the keyboard, press CTRL+F9. Alternatively, using tabs, try Insert>Text>Quick Parts>Field for Word 2007. In older versions of Word, you should be able to do the same by clicking on Insert>Field.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement