Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering 09 Exam Thread

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Good day fellows *Pours wine*

So what do you expect to come up?

Are you useless at any particular aspect?

Personally I haven't a breeze about the special topic, I'm going to go research it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Good day fellows *Pours wine*

So what do you expect to come up?

Are you useless at any particular aspect?

Personally I haven't a breeze about the special topic, I'm going to go research it now.

Good day. :pac:

Easy enough to predict the exam actually. Which is a positive.

Q.2 : Materials Testing

Izod + Charpy tests look probable.
    Followed by a Load Extension graph ( Dont forget the differences in calculations betweens that and the stress strain graph. )
    Lastly, could be Magnetic particles test, X-Ray, Eddy Currents, Ultrasonic ( Plenty of options usually. )

Q.4 : Alloys

Crystal defects. Solid / Eutectic solutions ect....
    Graph - Pretty simple. Know how to do the ratio of the phases ect...
    Dendritic growth / Other terms ect...

Q.5 : Welding

Resistance seam / Electroslag / Submerged arc ( Part A or C )
    Then I think about the Bridge Rectifier relating to MMA welding, or a mixture of general questions.

Q.6 : Polymers

Compression / Transfer / ***Injection
    Then what functions additives have ( All the different ones )
    General terms like Addition polymerisation ect....

Thats the questions im doing. I hope you are doing the same. :pac:
    Cheers for the glass of wine. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Nice job with the predictions.

I'd thank you but I have no idea where that option is?

Any predictions for the special topic for me? :D

Nice job with the predictions.

I'd thank you but I have no idea where that option is?

Any predictions for the special topic for me? :D

Its a little thumbs up down the bottom of my post lol. :pac:

Special topic you say.

Q1B : Hybrid Technology

First, know the problems we are faced with as a consequence of the burning of fossil fuels. Simple enough - Ozone layer ect..

Next, different ways of powering a vehicle: Petrol / Diesel, Electric Vehicles, Hybrid Electric Vehicles, Plug in Hybrid Electric vehicles and alternative fuels ( Ethanol - Know how to explain ethanol / Biodiesel - Know to explain again ect.. ). Know a little bit on each.

Know about series / parallel hybrids. How they are connected + advantages + differences ( eg In parallel motor acts as a motor and a generator where as in series they are seperate ect.. ) Regenerative breaking.

Know how to explain a vehicle in use currently ( eg Toyota Prius ), Power split device is related to that.

Fuel Cell Vehicles / Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicles / Hydrogen Hybrid Vehicles <--- Al 3 are important as they need to be explained in reasonable detail.

Lastly, advantages / disadvantages of Hybrid vehicles, make sure you have a few points on each.

Hope it helps. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Followed by a Load Extension graph ( Dont forget the differences in calculations betweens that and the stress strain graph

whats this?!

mink_man wrote: »
    whats this?!

You know the graph with the limit of proportionality,elastic limit and upper yield point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Aidan Hogan

.:FuZion:. wrote: »

Followed by a Load Extension graph ( Dont forget the differences in calculations betweens that and the stress strain graph. )
    Lastly, could be Magnetic particles test, X-Ray, Eddy Currents, Ultrasonic ( Plenty of options usually. )

Then I think about the Bridge Rectifier relating to MMA welding, or a mixture of general questions.

all sounds pretty similar to the mocks so ??

You know the graph with the limit of proportionality,elastic limit and upper yield point?

Exactly. But to be honest I dont think they will ask questions on that. You will be asked on Stress / Strain / Youngs Modulus / Proof Stress.... But there are specific formulae to work out these figures on a Load Extension graph, where as on the Stress Strain graph you can read the figures straight from the question.
    all sounds pretty similar to the mocks so ??

Yeah but like I said its easy to predict. Few added extras in there I think, like Injection moulding is one I remember distinctly.

Goodluck guys. :D

Exactly. But to be honest I dont think they will ask questions on that. You will be asked on Stress / Strain / Youngs Modulus / Proof Stress.... But there are specific formulae to work out these figures on a Load Extension graph, where as on the Stress Strain graph you can read the figures straight from the question.

Yeah but like I said its easy to predict. Few added extras in there I think, like Injection moulding is one I remember distinctly.

Goodluck guys. :D
    any more ideas

any predictions for q's 2,3 & 8 ??

any more ideas

Basically just what I said. Thats it in a nutshell as far as im concerned. If anything else comes up, I will be fuming. :p Everything else came up last year sure. And Q1A is unpredictable, so I think. :pac:

• Advertisement

any predictions for q's 2,3 & 8 ??

Ive given 2, but I aint doin 3, 7 or 8. So I duno. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aiden warren

if you were to do a **** project as in not do it at all but did a good day exam how well would you have to do to get a good grade

if you were to do a **** project as in not do it at all but did a good day exam how well would you have to do to get a good grade
    how do you think you will do today ??
    if you have a good project and do well today you coild prob get about 70% i think !! in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...found it a grand paper....a bit unconventional in places but very do-able resistence seam and spot welding....Q 5,6,7,8 were handy as was the hybrid section
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Question was was a bit unfair but got my 10 questions. The rest was grand

Found it grand.

Did 7 of the questions for the craic as I was finished early.

Was a bit cheeky on some questions e.g. the difference between TIG welding and MIG welding is that one uses tungsten inert gas:pac:

But overall say I got a good grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Found it grand.

Did 7 of the questions for the craic as I was finished early.

Was a bit cheeky on some questions e.g. the difference between TIG welding and MIG welding is that one uses tungsten inert gas:pac:

But overall say I got a good grade.

Lol... Ag uy in the same exam hall as me (he was doing ordinary) wrote down his exam number and walked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Forde-fotos

Was the diagram that came up in the special topic a fuel cell vehicle ?
    The diagram wasn't great.

Frolick wrote: »
    Lol... Ag uy in the same exam hall as me (he was doing ordinary) wrote down his exam number and walked out

Samething happened in mine except he was doing higher :pac:

@Foto- I agree. It should have been a 2d diagram.

I got
    A)Internal combustion engine
    B)Generator
    C)Batterys

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

two words on the engineering paper:
    Epic Win :D
    Really pleased with it, did 2 extra questions it was so easy, now hope my project was ok :|

• Advertisement

@Foto- I agree. It should have been a 2d diagram.

I got
    A)Internal combustion engine
    B)Generator
    C)Batterys

I got
    A) Fuel Cell Stack
    B) Generator
    C) Batteries

I then proceeded to describe the Fuel Cell vehicle in the next part.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Was the diagram that came up in the special topic a fuel cell vehicle ?
    The diagram wasn't great.

I got:
    A) Internal combustion engine
    B) Electric motor/generator
    C) Battery pack

Diagram was a bit difficult to interpret from though.

Overall it was a nice exam id say. fairly handy! (and i suppose the **** up with the english paper has a silver lining, giving us the morning to do a little last minute study!

AndyWhite wrote: »
    I got:
    C) Battery pack

Overall it was a nice exam id say. fairly handy! (and i suppose the **** up with the english paper has a silver lining, giving us the morning to do a little last minute study!

And we got to have lunch in the staffroom:pac:

And we got to have lunch in the staffroom:pac:

yeah! not a bad day all in all haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AndyWhite wrote: »
    I got:
    C) Battery pack

OK let me try and figure this out,Was A the cyclindrical part? B the Square and C the large rectangle at the rear?I didn't keep the paper(don't get the option)

If so i thought
    A)Electronic motor,
    This would need to be central to give power to both of the front wheels connecting to the previous drive
    B)Generator used for regenerative braking?
    C) was the fuel cell

Don't think it would be a combustion engine as i assumed we were only labelling the electrical parts?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    OK let me try and figure this out,Was A the cyclindrical part? B the Square and C the large rectangle at the rear?I didn't keep the paper(don't get the option)

If so i thought
    A)Electronic motor,
    This would need to be central to give power to both of the front wheels connecting to the previous drive
    B)Generator used for regenerative braking?
    C) was the fuel cell

Don't think it would be a combustion engine as i assumed we were only labelling the electrical parts?

An electric motor (B) is actually the exact same thing as a generator. If you get a motor and wire it up to a bulb, turn the motor by hand and the bulb will light up. That was the cylindrical bit.
    also, if you looked a the square bit (A), there was a pipe leading from the fuel supply into it, so thats why i said it was the ICE
    And, the big rectangle at the back (C) was the battery pack. If it were a fuel cell, it would have had to have been directly connected to the fuel supply which i dont think it was.

I could be wrong on any of them now but thats my reasoning for choosing what it did.

The Fuel Cell Stack would have also have been connected to the fuel supply in the exact same way ! All in all it could have been any one of the two options !

Advertisement