Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband upgrade with UTV but slower speeds

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I have been with UTV for my broadband and phone for a good few years now and I usually dont have any major probems.

For 3 years I had a 3Meg connection while I lived in Dublin and when I moved to Cavan Town last year the connection was averaging around 1.8megs. That was fine as I only use the computer to surf the web and if I want to download anything I do it over night.

However I rang UTV about a month back just to see if I would be able to get a faster broadband speed. The sales person I spoke to said that I could upgrade to the 7.6 Meg package but would only get around 4 megs on that. I agreed to upgrade as I figured for the small increase in the monthly payment I was going to be getting double the speed.

3 weeks ago the upgrade went through but ever since my connection is slower than normal. It is averaging 1.1megs. I have ran a speedtest at various different times during the last couple of weeks and the speed has never gone above 1.4megs.

I have rang UTV support a couple of times over the last couple of weeks and each time I get different theories as to what is wrong. I havnt done anything with my router. I havnt touched the wires. Everything is as it was prior to me getting the upgrade. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I could do to check exactly what is happening?

At this stage I would just prefer to revert back to the package I had 5 weeks ago.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

gazzer wrote: »
    I have been with UTV for my broadband and phone for a good few years now and I usually dont have any major probems.

For 3 years I had a 3Meg connection while I lived in Dublin and when I moved to Cavan Town last year the connection was averaging around 1.8megs. That was fine as I only use the computer to surf the web and if I want to download anything I do it over night.

However I rang UTV about a month back just to see if I would be able to get a faster broadband speed. The sales person I spoke to said that I could upgrade to the 7.6 Meg package but would only get around 4 megs on that. I agreed to upgrade as I figured for the small increase in the monthly payment I was going to be getting double the speed.

3 weeks ago the upgrade went through but ever since my connection is slower than normal. It is averaging 1.1megs. I have ran a speedtest at various different times during the last couple of weeks and the speed has never gone above 1.4megs.

I have rang UTV support a couple of times over the last couple of weeks and each time I get different theories as to what is wrong. I havnt done anything with my router. I havnt touched the wires. Everything is as it was prior to me getting the upgrade. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I could do to check exactly what is happening?

At this stage I would just prefer to revert back to the package I had 5 weeks ago.

Thanks
    Sometimes too much forced down a line can make it slower. Your on the 7.6MB profile but only capable of 4MB, maybe even less. I would advise you to contact UTV and ask them to lower your profile to 4MB and see how that runs - if it's still poor, get them to undo your upgrade and go back to your stable 3MB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

By now the companies should have enough experience with the problems caused by speeds that the lines are simply not up to.

Get your line stats - thats usually the answer.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the line stats when I get home from work this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I checked my line stats and the following came up

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Fast Line Up Time 00:00:05:34
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1248 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 13.7 dB 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 52.0 dB 26.0 dB
    Output Power 18.5 dBm 0.3 dBm
    K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 40 13
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 0 0
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 1
    D (interleaver depth) 1 1
    Super Frames 19642 19640
    Super Frame Errors 1 0
    RS Words 0 0
    RS Correctable Errors 0 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
    HEC Errors 1 0
    OCD Errors 0 0
    LCD Errors 0 0
    ES Errors 0 0

Just an update on the above. I disconnected the phone from the socket in the hallway and the speed is now 3.8megs. However if I connect the phone the speed goes back down to 1.2 meg. So it seems I can have fast broadband but no phone or slow broadband with a phone. Could having just one phone connected cause so much difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

gazzer wrote: »
    I checked my line stats and the following came up

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Fast Line Up Time 00:00:05:34
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1248 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 13.7 dB 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 52.0 dB 26.0 dB
    Output Power 18.5 dBm 0.3 dBm
    K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 40 13
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 0 0
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 1
    D (interleaver depth) 1 1
    Super Frames 19642 19640
    Super Frame Errors 1 0
    RS Words 0 0
    RS Correctable Errors 0 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
    HEC Errors 1 0
    OCD Errors 0 0
    LCD Errors 0 0
    ES Errors 0 0

Just an update on the above. I disconnected the phone from the socket in the hallway and the speed is now 3.8megs. However if I connect the phone the speed goes back down to 1.2 meg. So it seems I can have fast broadband but no phone or slow broadband with a phone. Could having just one phone connected cause so much difference?
    The hallway is usually your main telephone point, your Broadband should always be connected to that point with a short DSL cable connected through either a single DSL filter or a DSL / Phone splitter - with this, every other device in your house (Sky, phones, faxes, monitored house alarms) should also have single phone filters. If it can't be in the hall, consider using wireless instead.

You'll get the maximum out of your line this way. By the way, you are only on a 3MB profile, giving your attenuation, I wouldn't try get any higher than that - save your money and go back to your original package.

• Advertisement
Advertisement