Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA - self study?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I've gotten a year of work experience and I'm looking to get at least the CCNA cert on my CV for the minimum requirements of a lot of jobs. However I'm moving to the US in about 3 months, is this enough time to self study for the CCNA and just take the exam myself?

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44711

I'm looking to get most of these books, are there any others that would be a must-have for the exam? I am going to use the GNS3 Emulator for the practical study.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Have you worked with cisco before and yes if you put in the work you could get it. Get the cbt nuggets vids and Todd Lammle book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Going to start studying for this next month, would like to setup and home lab for praticals. I have access to a couple of 2950 switches and was thinking of buying two 2500's, would this be enough for CCNA and expandibility to CCNP?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Have a look at this link, click on next post at the top and it talks about more models:

https://www.linuxworld.com/community/node/23715

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Great link, just getting through it now.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

So, would it be possible to get enough study with the GNS3 emulator or would I need to buy some of my own hardware? And if so where would be the best place to get this in Ireland, preferably second hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Stern wrote: »
    So, would it be possible to get enough study with the GNS3 emulator or would I need to buy some of my own hardware? And if so where would be the best place to get this in Ireland, preferably second hand?

Hey there,

More than enough with GNS3 :)

GNS3 can't emulate switch hardware but it can emulate routers (which of course can have switching modules installed). If you have a switch or two already you can make GNS3/Dynamips routers on your computer communicate with the switches pretty easy :)

Good luck with your studies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kanz

Where can I get a couple of IOS images to work with GNS3? Apparently it's difficult t get them directly off Cisco without having a service contract or something. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

kanz wrote: »
    Where can I get a couple of IOS images to work with GNS3? Apparently it's difficult t get them directly off Cisco without having a service contract or something. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

basically you are asking for pirated software, not the best place to ask.

Advertisement