Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denilson looking to cement his status in Vietnam

• 03-06-2009 1:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=652272&sec=global&cc=3888

Denilson, once the world's most expensive soccer player, will rocket Cement FC to the top of the Vietnam league, his jubilant coach said, but the World Cup winner has made it clear he is only here for the love of the game - and the money.

Months of cajoling and coaxing finally paid off for Hai Phong Cement FC when they sealed a deal to bring the Brazilian to Vietnam.

The transfer delighted the mid-table V-League's fans, who welcomed the 31-year-old to practice in the port city on Monday with a motorcade of scooters, flags and flares.

"Denilson Oliveira will be a new cannon for Coach Vuong Tien Dung for the fight on the V-League battelfield," the Vietnam Football Federation said in a statement on its website.

Denilson, the subject of a world transfer record in 1998 when Real Betis paid more than $35m to sign him, said he had ultimately decided to play in Vietnam because of his passion for the game, and the money.

"I'm 31-years-old and I want to stay in Vietnam for a long time," he was quoted as saying.

Do Dai Duong, chief executive of team sponsor Cement Hai Phong Corp, was quoted as saying by the VFF that Denilson's pay under the one-year contract was confidential.

But it was "much higher" than the $10,000 per month that Vietnam's current highest paid footballer Lee Nguyen earns.

Denilson, who will wear number 99, will get his first taste of Vietnamese soccer on Saturday when Hai Phong Cement play Danang, the number one team in the first half of the season, the newspaper Saigon Giai Phong reported.

What a fall. Only 31 and he has to resort to this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Christ almighty. the hell happened this guy? is it simply the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I reckon we should have whip around and try and get him to play for Bray Wanderers for a season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

After playing a half a game with Vietnam's Hai Phong Cement FC, former Brazil international Denilson has shocked fans by quitting the team because of injuries, the Vietnam Football Federation said.

Denilson, once the world's most expensive soccer player, scored a goal from a free kick in the first minutes of his only V-League appearance on Sunday to help Hai Phong Cement defeat former champions Hoang Anh Gia Lai 3-1 and snap a losing streak.

He sat out the second half when the coach recognised that a right leg injury was holding him back, the Vietnam News reported.

The VFF said he had quit the team on Tuesday and was planning to leave the country.

"One more time, fans were as shocked as his surprise appearance a few days ago," the VFF report said.

Denilson had missed two earlier games, angering expectant fans, before making his debut on Sunday.

The Brazilian came to the northern Vietnamese port city earlier this month after months of cajoling and coaxing. The transfer delighted the mid-table V-League team's fans, who welcomed the 31-year-old to practice in the port city with a motorcade of scooters, flags and flares.

But his swift exit was sure to rankle Hai Phong supporters, who are known for their rowdy behaviour.

Last Friday, the federation banned their fans attending away games if they wear clothes bearing the team's symbols or name.

That decision came days after Hai Phong supporters clashed with paramilitary police in Hanoi when the team lost a match. Police used dogs and electric batons to disperse the crowd, while some fans fought back by hurling objects at the police lines.

Denilson was the subject of a world transfer record in 1998 when Real Betis paid more than $35m to sign him.

The VFF report said the Brazilian's contract only stipulated payment for matches he played.

He was paid $12,000 for the match and a $5,000 bonus for the goal, it was reported

Must be really stuck for the cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Leaving Cement FC already? Jaysus, that's cracked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Used to be a super player back in the day. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sugarman wrote: »
    On 2 June 2009, Denilson signed a six month contract with Vietnamese club Xi Măng Hải Phòng, a deal that makes the Brazilian the V-League's highest profile player in its history.

After much speculation about whether if Denílson can make his first appearance for Xi Măng Hải Phòng, on 21 June 2009, he finally made his debut and scored a free-kick goal at the second minutes of the match against Hoàng Anh Gia Lai. After only three weeks at the club he quit, after only playing half a match and scoring one goal for the club.

The fuck?

Surley some championship if not premiership team would sign him.

Imagine him playin in the LOI:D

He had a trial at Bolton last season, I think, and they sent him packing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Christ almighty. the hell happened this guy? is it simply the money?

Saw him play for Palmeiras last summer and he looked... well...

He came off the bench, and he was astonishing going forwards at times, but looked disinterested and defensively poor. He's got a lot of technical ability, but you need the mental abilities to utilise that, as well as the physique. He just doesn't seem to be fully in control of himself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He was one of the worst signings in history. $35m was waaaaaayyyyy too much for him. He was a good player but was never truly world-class and was totally over-rated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

he was on loan ad bordeaux two seasons ago and was their best player in a very good uefa cup run and then ... ppfffff... back to brazil and goes ****e again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

sugarman wrote: »
    On 2 June 2009, Denilson signed a six month contract with Vietnamese club Xi Măng Hải Phòng, a deal that makes the Brazilian the V-League's highest profile player in its history.

After much speculation about whether if Denílson can make his first appearance for Xi Măng Hải Phòng, on 21 June 2009, he finally made his debut and scored a free-kick goal at the second minutes of the match against Hoàng Anh Gia Lai. After only three weeks at the club he quit, after only playing half a match and scoring one goal for the club.

The fuck?

Surley some championship if not premiership team would sign him.

Imagine him playin in the LOI:D

Ye thats what i thought when i seen it on the news, it would be cool to see him in LOI, lol. What did he earn 12k dollars for 1 match, how much is that in euro? and what do the loi players get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

$12k is prob €10k. There's no way any LOI club would pay that much for someone PER GAME. Most clubs weekly wage budget is probably less than €10k so it's simply money no LOI club could afford. He's hardly going to be a big crowd draw either.

Don't know how he did in that one half over there but considering a few average LOI players were offered contracts in the V-League at the start of the year, one would imagine the standard is on a par with the LOI. It just has way more money.

Sounds like a giant ego, going by his quotes on Wikipedia.
    "I'm twice as good as the number 10" - on why he chose the number 20 for Brazil.
    On David Beckham: "He’s pretty. So he’s very lucky: he’s both a footballer AND pretty. I’m this ugly and still the women are all over me".
    "I don't understand why people hate it when I have the ball for a little longer time. I like having the ball, and if you have a look at the past then you will know that I have done things to help the team by keeping it a little longer." - On being criticised for holding the ball too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Charles Mbazai Livinston is playing in Vietnam atm, 3rd divsions or something.

Denilson was a nutcase, very fond of nightclubs in Seville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I reckon CIE Ranch are putting a deal together as we speak. This is too good an opportunity to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What a disastrous fall from grace. Just goes to show having a few tricks and stepovers mean nothing in terms of succeding as a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Charles Mbazai Livinston is playing in Vietnam atm, 3rd divsions or something.
    Fair play to him, I thought he couldn't play again because of his heart problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The manager probably wanted a few high profile players to mix it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Has he done anything on a big stage other than those 5 lollypops in a row about 10 years ago?

Advertisement