Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV XGC meet on June 13th - anyone up for that?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I suppose yeah. I mean if only 3 or 4 xboxs, I think we'd be alright and ps3s don't seem as popular so there is bound to be a few there too. I'll call them to let them know we're coming down anyway rather than a mob coming down out of nowhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Leprekaun wrote: »
    And finally, no, I'm not a mathematician, I'm just very technically minded :)

I am a mathematician, and I say your calculations are correct sir!

I have a disk which contains the back compatibility update for xbox360's so it shouldn't be a problem to play third strike.

Excellent! :D honestly, I'm going more for 3S than IV :P. Too many bugs in IV in comparison to the otherwise perfect 3S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Excellent! :D honestly, I'm going more for 3S than IV :P. Too many bugs in IV in comparison to the otherwise perfect 3S.

I've been playing a lot of IV lately and then went back to play a bit of third strike and I couldn't pull off any supers!! The timing is so much more strict. It's way to easy to pull off moves in IV, it makes you play lazy. Aparently, they have designed it so that you can pull off a dragon punch just by pressing down-forward, down-forward punch!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLxLEMxzjqM&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

In 3S you can perform dragon punch motions using df,d,df. So using df,df is not that much different. In SFIV I use df,d,df over df,df as I find it easier.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I guess thats what Yoshinoro meant when he said "a game that suits the casual and hardcore gamers" I think the hardcore bit is meant to be for the focus cancelling as you have to be razor sharp to time the focus cancel (i.e.: focus cancelling on the second hit of Ken's shoryuken) but really, even when you get the hang of the focus cancelling, it isn't even hard. 3S is definitely harder for the super cancelling. I found though, the difficulty varies from move to move.

Its easier to super cancel a shoryuken than a hadouken so it takes a bit of practice to super cancel off the hadouken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

What bugs are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Well Vega misses the wall all the bloody time for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

yeah that's one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nah, that's the game just telling you to stop playing Vega :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

regarding balance though.....surely SF4 has the edge? I mean, i'm no third strike player, but isnt there only three characters in the roster that are playable in tourneys without just falling over dead?

SF4 has ryu, sagat, balrog, dhalsim, Viper, Zangief, Bison, Rufus, Akuma who are all big tourney winning characters.....and I'm sure I left a few out.

Supposed I'm biased coz I was never a part of the sf3 scene but this one seems far more competitive. Besides, they will patch bugs....there already did it with that Fei long infinite thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't like the way SF3 has no long range game. Also I suck at it and can't parry.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

3rd Strike and Super Turbo are probably better games than SF IV, but it took them several years and versions to get to the standard they are at now and even at that both are far from perfect games.

SF IV is abit too turtle friendly. Run away is easy with the wider arenas and the game speed is a little slow.

The concept of revenge guage is abit off. I mean rewarding a person for losing is abit silly. Encourages the person who is winning to turtle even more.

Having said that it probably has the best balance of any SF game so far. Super Turbo wasn't bad but 3rd Strike was laughable in that regard. Perhaps a 3rd Strike HD Remix might one day improve that.

In Street Figthers 4 defense its probably the best first version of any Street Fighter series which leaves me with high hopes that later versions will be improved gameplay and balance wise.

Also one thing the pro's like about Street Fighter 4 is it has an active scene and did a huge amount to restore a faltering genre. There is far more people playing SF IV than there is ST or 3rd Strike currently.

I'm just waiting for the King of Iron Fist tournament to come rolling back into town.
    That game will be the end of me.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Bah!....that game lacks pycho power therefore is absolutly useless too me.....useless!

Well, I myself wouldn't really fall under the 3S scene as I only played it since I only got anniversary collection in 05 or 06. I understand how certain characters would mainly be used for tourneys but that doesn't mean everyone else is useless. Sure, IV is the same. Best ansatsuken fighter is Ryu so most top level ansatsuken players use Ryu. 3S was the same but with Ken.

But in both games, if you're not necessarily a top level player, other ansatsuken fighters are realistic choices. I mean, even after playing IV for a while and then trying 3S, I switched to Ryu when before I'd always use Ken but now I fight better with Ryu than Ken in 3S.

I know I'm not a top level player. I try to improve my play as I'm quite a competitive guy but thats about it. I myself am not bothered that I'm not even in the top 500 but I just enjoy it for what it is, a game.

Ken, Chun, Yun are the absolute top tier choices in 3S - this isn't so for IV is what people are saying, there are plenty of other viable characters in terms of matchups etc.

Ken, Yun and chun li are really much, much better then everyone else.

Its so much closer in sf4. Yes, ryu is very good, but he isnt loads better than the list I gave you earlier. Obviously, the player skill matters the most. But all the best players in third strike picked those three......when you look at the top 20 or so players that have had good showings since sf4 came out, the cast of chars they use is much more varied. Hell, ive seen a couple people beast with chars like el feurte....in proper tournements. The videos are out there.

EDIT : beat me to it mate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Will try to make it along for a while. I'll bring Soul Calibur along as well.

Fuerte's pretty decent, the only thing is that his whole gameplan is built around his RSF loop. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i have not played 3S in ages and ive messed up my stick but i will clean the slate with 3S, BRING THAT MOTHER !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Working again :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    Bah!....that game lacks pycho power therefore is absolutly useless too me.....useless!

Never mind. You can kick my head in again for a few hours at IV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Placebo wrote: »
    i have not played 3S in ages and ive messed up my stick but i will clean the slate with 3S, BRING THAT MOTHER !!!!

I can vouch for Placebo here. Been on the receiving end of many a Chun raping.

I do play Alex and Necro though!

Ibuki ftw!

Bah, it's all about Inspector Gadget.
    I mean Q. :D

So, how many numbers do we roughly have for next saturday? And I've never actually gone before so, Its the place on lower liffey street just off the quays yes?

Yep, lower liffey st. If you're taking a bus down and arriving around 11:20, I could show you where it is.

I'll be there anyway, I think.

• Advertisement

This is right between two nightshifts for me. Work strikes again :/

Advertisement