Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suncream and Eczema

Options
  • 03-06-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a high factor suncream for sensitive skin? My two kids suffer from eczema (with the younger of the two affected considerably more than the older) and the regular suncream drives their skin mad. With the good weather at the moment (hopefully it'll continue for a good while!) we are lashing on the suncream and they're miserable with itchy skin. I've asked in a pharmacy but they're sold out of all the high factor stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

I managed to get ''simple kids sun sentsitve protecting sun care lotion factor 50 ''. Paid 16 euro for it. Bought it in the chemist. It comes in a tube with a orange cap on it and its creamy lotion as opposed to something really thick and oily.

Have also heard reccommendations for Nivea Kids you can buy it in Dunnes.

My lil one has very sensitive skin and this hasnt irritated her at all no perfumes or anything added that would set a flare up. Hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

There is a La Roche factor 50 suncream, very good for sensitive skin, but it's expensive.

A lot of the very high factor suncreams contain bee's wax which can irritate as well as being really thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

We got lucky with a normal nivea factor 50. Sadly the P20 stuff gave a bad reaction. However we are finding we have to give our little one at least one ( sometimes two ) baths per day with oilatum.

We also use the diprobase cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

La Roche Posay and Vichy do sensitive skin 50+ suncreams.

P20 does not protect against UVA rays, so although you don't burn you still get the damaging effects of the UVA, which are the rays responsible for long term skin damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

hi, our 2 and a half year old has what the doctors consider severe eczema and thankfully the johnsons for kids, factor 40 does not irritate his skin. the daily regime we follow for his skin is as follows: emulsifying ointment or silcocks base first thing in the morning followed by bath (the cream acts as a barrier to the water) and emulsiderm in his bath, followed by more of emulsifying ointment. half an hour later we put on steroid cream as perscriped by doc. we continue to moisturize wit ointment another 3 times at least throughout the day and again before his evening bath and before bed.

the problem i find is fitting in reapplyin sunfactor between his normal creams as we spend almost the whole day outside and he hates the creams being applied. anyone else find this a problem?

op, hope the johnsons works for your little ones, or one of the creams the other posters mentioned. we were lucky with ours it was the first one we tried and thankfully it had no effect on eczema and wasn't expensive

also with the good weather we've noticed that the sea water does wonders for his skin, we've tried replicating with sea salt in the bath but it doesn't have the same effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My kids don't suffer eczema, but they couldn't tolerate Nivea or Ambre Solaire suncreams. In the end Boots Soltan was the only cream I found that didn't sting their skin and irritate their eyes.
    the problem i find is fitting in reapplyin sunfactor between his normal creams as we spend almost the whole day outside and he hates the creams being applied. anyone else find this a problem?

Tell me about it. I have 2 daughters that love having it applied, but one son who goes ballistic. He is 8 now so at least I can explain the consequences, but when he was younger it used to end up with him taking tantrums and me in tears! No advice to offer I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

High&Low wrote: »
    There is a La Roche factor 50 suncream, very good for sensitive skin, but it's expensive.

A lot of the very high factor suncreams contain bee's wax which can irritate as well as being really thick.

Pretty much what high& low said, iv asked in chemist this week as my little girl also suffers from eczema which seems to be driving her crazy(i cover her with silcocks every morning and at night after her bath the same) since last weekend with the heat and they gave me LaRoche factore 50.

Yes it might be expensive but it does work and for your kids its worth it! ;)
    Good luck Mr.Bloat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

We went with the La Roche factor 50 in the end alright, it seems to be going well, no major flare-ups since. Thanks for all the advice.
    lolly22 wrote: »
    Yes it might be expensive but it does work and for your kids its worth it!

That's for sure. :) It's also worth it in that less skin irritations means they sleep better at night, which means me and my wife sleep better at night. ;)

Advertisement