Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start

• 03-06-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I realise this has been asked a few times, apologies in advance. I got the site, got the planning, what do i do now. I asked an engineer what it costs to supervise a build, quoted €1'200 for about a dozen call outs, sign off for mortgage etc, seems very cheap. But after that where do i go next, or what steps do i take.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

You need to get prices for builders, I would suggest you get a contract with the winning builder. You will need somebody to sign a certificate of compliance with building regulations, and planning (usually your architect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I realise this has been asked a few times, apologies in advance. I got the site, got the planning, what do i do now. I asked an engineer what it costs to supervise a build, quoted €1'200 for about a dozen call outs, sign off for mortgage etc, seems very cheap. But after that where do i go next, or what steps do i take.

Congrats on the planning!

I presume when you say that you have an engineer to supervise the build you are looking at going down the direct labour route? The cheapest engineer we could get in the north east to look after mortgage sign offs (only) was €1,800 - up to 7 site visits. I don't think that quote you received to supervise a build makes sense. We are going for a fixed price contract so I'm not too well informed but I reckon that figure is unrealistic. Most advice I received was that someone needs to be on site nearly every day!!!! I thought a full PM job costs significantly more. Have you done an exercise the direct labour v contractor issue? DL is cheaper but it is definitely more stressful and generally takes longer to complete amongst many other issues.

If you are going the "fixed price contractor" route I would suggest getting 5 or 6 quotes. Make sure they are all quoting you for the same thing. We gave all the builders plans for our house and garage - believe it or not only one builder actually quoted us for the garage! You will also learn a lot from chatting to the different builders. If you are going to builders you need to have a fairly certain idea of what type of finish you want - high spec v standard builders finish - things like interior wood finishes on skirting and stairs, insulation levels, concrete flooring upstairs etc.

Secondly I would try and get a few rough quotes back ASAP so you can get a ball-park figure for the bank. We are almost 2 months trying to get our finance - nearly there, hopefully it'll come through in the next few days (fingers crossed!). The banks are looking for piles of information. You need about 6 months payslips, bank statements, P60's, P45 if you changed jobs. These can take time to gather! Get yourself a lever arch file and keep everything in it-stupid and all as it seems it is wortwhile doing. They appear to be questioning everything. Once you get a rough figure start talking to a lender immediately. Your circumstances may dictate what standard of finish you can build your house to by deciding what you are in a position to borrow. In this regard I would advise going to a mortgage broker. They have access to lenders who will lend you 100% of the building costs if you own the site! High street banks are only lending about 90% of the build- you could be looking at anything between €20k and €40k depending on the estimated value of the property upon completion that you might have to come up with yourself. Banks are also pushing valuers to be ultra conservative in the valuations of the "property upon completion".

Start working on suppliers for your windows and heating systems. These two issues will have your heart broken by the time you start building! Again, the sky is the limit in terms of window costs - PVC, Timber, AluClad. The costs vary hugely from supplier to supplier. This cost alone will have a massive impact on your budget. 1st up - decide the type of frame, then double/triple glazing, u-values etc and then work on sourcing it. For example, AluClad can be as much as twice the price of PVC.

Same will apply to whatever heating system you decide to go with. Prices on these do appear to negotiable at the moment but to get real value you need be in the position of placing the order and paying the deposit. You'll have to work off initial quotes at this early stage from my experience. But they are a good starting point - starting high and work down! It'll give you an idea of the max price!

When your mortgage application process kicks off engage the services of a good solicitor to oversee the various contracts (mortgage loan, builder/contractors etc.)

Go to a few of the self build exhibtions - a day at that will open your eyes to some of the many decisions you have to consider at this stage. Think there is one in Waterford or Dublin in the coming weeks and bring a few copies of your plans with you!

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Edge.

Advertisement