Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News on SSN: Bruce to Sunderland

• 03-06-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for confirmation but SSN sources claiming done deal...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ah...you legend of a Geordie man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good old Sly Sports News with their Breaking News that everybody has knowing about for days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Steve Bruces record braking attempt to manage every team in England continues in earnest......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lucky mackems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Don't really understand this one.

Just seems like a move down, or sideways at best. Sure Sunderland have an owner who has the finances to spend big, but who is to say that he will do that, and more importantly, cash or no cash, Sunderland will always struggle to attract quality players.

I don't mean that as an insult to Sunderland, but the North East is a very difficult sell to players. Newcastle learnt this the hard way, more often than not having to settle for second best, and players who no one else really wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a good appointment, Sunderland are now the top dog of the NE (shockingly!) and with the core they have can definitely improve their lot next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Charlie wrote: »
    Don't really understand this one.

Just seems like a move down, or sideways at best. Sure Sunderland have an owner who has the finances to spend big, but who is to say that he will do that, and more importantly, cash or no cash, Sunderland will always struggle to attract quality players.

I don't mean that as an insult to Sunderland, but the North East is a very difficult sell to players. Newcastle learnt this the hard way, more often than not having to settle for second best, and players who no one else really wanted.

Good appointment IMO,

AFAIK he only got a 3 year contract, bring a bit of stability in, give them a taste of what it is like not be in a relegation scrap for once, Bruce has also proved that he has an eye for talent and a bargain the last few years.

I don't think they could have done much better TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Good appointment defo on the Sunderland behalf but I thought Brucey had a good team going at Wigan and Dave Whelan seems like a top bloke , I guess money talks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Might lash a cheeky fiver on Wigan to go down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Chubb76 wrote: »
    Good appointment defo on the Sunderland behalf but I thought Brucey had a good team going at Wigan and Dave Whelan seems like a top bloke , I guess money talks .

he had a good team going that was constantly being chipped at due to Whelan selling his best players. I don't think Bruce is all about the money.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Good appointment IMO,

AFAIK he only got a 3 year contract, bring a bit of stability in, give them a taste of what it is like not be in a relegation scrap for once, Bruce has also proved that he has an eye for talent and a bargain the last few years.

I don't think they could have done much better TBH.

My confusion isn't why the Mackems would go for Bruce, he's more than proven himself to be up there as one of the most promising managers.

My confusion is to why he would go to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

My confusion isn't why the Mackems would go for Bruce, he's more than proven himself to be up there as one of the most promising managers.

Sunderland are a far bigger club than Wigan. Just look at the attendances. No brainer for Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

because they are a selling club and the money was good enough for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Whatever shred of goodwill I felt towards this club has disappeared with this appointment. Can't stand the bloke.

Good move for them I guess.

he'll do well, of that i've no doubt really.

excellent appointment.

not sure he was the 'high profile' name Quinny was banging on about :rolleyes:

but for me, he's as good a manager as Sunderland can hope to get at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

SlickRic wrote: »
    he'll do well, of that i've no doubt really.

excellent appointment.

not sure he was the 'high profile' name Quinny was banging on about :rolleyes:

but for me, he's as good a manager as Sunderland can hope to get at this stage.

Agreed. He should bring a degree of stability to the club for a couple of seasons, which is what they need.

Titus Bramble for Sunderland lol , dont think that would go down too well with the toon faithful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Titus Bramble for Sunderland lol , dont think that would go down too well with the toon faithful though.

It'd be great. If they got him he'd be the reason why they go down and we go back up to the Premier League. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I think Titus would be an excellent Championship signing for Newcastle. Bassong and Bramble would be awesome.

He got voted wigans player of the season so he must been doing something right ? Bet Heskey feels like a plod now after leaving Villa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

He got voted wigans player of the season so he must been doing something right ?
    Bramble has so much footballing ability, and certainly more than most defenders at midtable Premiership level.

Pace, power, passing, heading, shooting, tackling. He's just lacking in confidence and a footballing brain.

Sorry Charlie mis understood.

I suppose Sunderland have talked and showed with money they are pretty ambitious, plus anytime this season Bruce spoke to the media it was about one of his players going elsewhere.

Bruce is actually a very, honest decent professional, he didn't put any spin on the Zaki episode and just said it like it was. Top Bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

To me its fairly obvious why Bruce has gone to Sunderland. At Wigan he was going to have to build a new side practical every year, or even twice a year. Losing two massive players in Jan, another more than likely going this summer. Maybe he just couldn't face having to deal with those circumstances every year. Sunderland may not be offering him a shed load of cash(though all reports suggest he will have a decent transfer fund) they are probably only offering him the chance to build a side and not be such an openly selling club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

newcastle man managing sunderland ? i rate bruce but why go for him when the likes of gordan and mancini were interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Strachan? I would definitely appoint Bruce before him.

As for Mancini, there is a big difference between managing Inter successfully and doing the same with Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Headshot wrote: »
    newcastle man managing sunderland ? i rate bruce but why go for him when the likes of gordan and mancini were interested
    Bruce has alot of experience as a top flight manager, he knows the league, the players and the area. He achieved a good league finish with Wigan, a club with much smaller resources than Sunderland and has a good eye for talent, something that's badly needed at Sunderland. While Sunderland may not finish any higher than midtable (realistically) he should bring some much needed stability.

While Mancini's a 'big name' and top manager in his own right, he has no premier league experience. After narrowly avoiding relegation this year Mancini may have been too big a risk for the club at this stage of it's development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bruce has alot of experience as a top flight manager, he knows the league, the players and the area. He achieved a good league finish with Wigan, a club with much smaller resources than Sunderland and has a good eye for talent, something that's badly needed at Sunderland. While Sunderland may not finish any higher than midtable (realistically) he should bring some much needed stability.

While Mancini's a 'big name' and top manager in his own right, he has no premier league experience. After narrowly avoiding relegation this year Mancini may have been too big a risk for the club at this stage of it's development.

i think the reason why no Premier League club has gone for Mancini would be the language barrier, i hear his english isn't great and it seems to me none of the clubs who were interested in him could really afford him the time to get to grips with the language.

as for Strachan, much of a muchness between him and Bruce. I'd go for Bruce meself as Strachan has been out of English football for a while, and Bruce has proven himself very capable of using his resources well which, given Roy's hemmoraging cash on useless squad players, is something Sunderland would really appreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

i think the reason why no Premier League club has gone for Mancini would be the language barrier, i hear his english isn't great and it seems to me none of the clubs who were interested in him could really afford him the time to get to grips with the language.
    I heard that too. If rumours are true his salary demands would price him out of most clubs reach and apart from Portsmouth none of the other 'bigger' clubs are on the lookout for a manager.
    Bruce has proven himself very capable of using his resources well which, given Roy's hemmoraging cash on useless squad players, is something Sunderland would really appreciate.
    Good point. He has the core of a good team there already with lads like Ferdinand, Malbranque, Richardson and Jones. There were times last year when the team as a whole were too easy to break down/lacked work rate. If he can toughen the mentality and bring in 3 or 4 new players I feel they'll push on next season. I'm sure at this stage Niall would welcome a few central American bargains compared to overpriced championship players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was it just me or did Bruce's Geordie accent step up a few notches for the press conference. Not sure if it was intentional or not but I copped it straight away.

Maybe it comes back to him when he gets into the north east.:)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Was it just me or did Bruce's Geordie accent step up a few notches for the press conference. Not sure if it was intentional or not but I copped it straight away.

Maybe it comes back to him when he gets into the north east.:)

TBF, i've always considered Bruce the most plastic of Geordies, he'll always be a Manc in my eyes.

Hes only seem to have talked about the North East and the region in the last year or two, with his eyes being on a job away from Wigan it seems.

TBF, i've always considered Bruce the most plastic of Geordies, he'll always be a Manc in my eyes.

Hes only seem to have talked about the North East and the region in the last year or two, with his eyes being on a job away from Wigan it seems.

Jaysus Charlie, he was born there, he tried to play for the club, but was turned down.

Just because he moved away and became successful with United does not make him a plastic fan.

It makes him a professional footballer, who has declared on more than one occassion he would love to manage Newcastle United.

There arn't many sensible United fans having a go at Hughes for managing the under achievers across the road.

And lets face it Sunderland and Newcasle are no longer rivals, at least in the league for 12 months.

Jaysus Charlie, he was born there, he tried to play for the club, but was turned down.

Just because he moved away and became successful with United does not make him a plastic fan.

It makes him a professional footballer, who has declared on more than one occassion he would love to manage Newcastle United.

There arn't many sensible United fans having a go at Hughes for managing the under achievers across the road.

And lets face it Sunderland and Newcasle are no longer rivals, at least in the league for 12 months.

It's got nothing to do with Sunderland.

Up until the last year two, he always played down his Geordie roots. Not that that is a crime, Bobby Charlton has done well enough for himself. But to ham it up, just because you're eyeing up a job is kinda plastic in my eyes.

, he always played down his Geordie roots.

Do you blame him? :D

Do you blame him? :D

113036_3.jpg

oooh...below the belt my good man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It's got nothing to do with Sunderland.

Up until the last year two, he always played down his Geordie roots. Not that that is a crime, Bobby Charlton has done well enough for himself. But to ham it up, just because you're eyeing up a job is kinda plastic in my eyes.

Now i don't know whether he has or has not played down his roots,

I'm not doubting you just yet,

but can you tell me what makes you think he has?

• Advertisement
Advertisement