Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

descending position

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Drops + arse pointing skywards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

In the drops, arse in air, chin on the stem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Drops, arse to the sky, chin tickling the handlebar, elbows in

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On a smooth open descent, hands gently cupping the tops of the levers, forearms flattish.

On a bumpy descent, clinging on in the drops for dear life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I do the chain on the bar arse in sky too but only when racing or in group rides. Sit on the hoods when out training myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hands either side of the stem, chin to top-cap, elbows in, knees together, face like this::eek:.

Basically what Toby Steinhauser is doing about 20 seconds in on the first video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I shall be doing a bit of this on Sunday

718083463_4b9acb6819.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In the drops, arse off the back of the saddle with stomach resting on the saddle. Would only descend on the hoods on the fixie if I was trying to retard speed. Besides the aero disadvantage on the hoods is less stable with worse brake access I think.

I have tried the way Tom describes but don't find it so stable and the lack of any brake access spooks me.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Hands either side of the stem, chin to top-cap, elbows in, knees together, face like this::eek:.

Basically what Toby Steinhauser is doing about 20 seconds in on the first video.

Thankfully, being a wide chap, I don't loose any aero-ness having hands in the drops and elbows in :)

@Diarmuid, all descents are to be taken as fast as possible, there's no such thing as taking it easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

blorg wrote: »
    In the drops, arse off the back of the saddle with stomach resting on the saddle. Would only descend on the hoods on the fixie if I was trying to retard speed. Besides the aero disadvantage on the hoods is less stable with worse brake access I think.

I have tried the way Tom describes but don't find it so stable and the lack of any brake access spooks me.

Also the Pantani way

1:33 in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

@Diarmuid, all descents are to be taken as fast as possible, there's no such thing as taking it easy :)

haha.

When I'm on my own the usual thoughts on the descent are : "God imagine if I fell now", "thats enough lean on this corner", "when did I last change the pads/tires", "hope no car pulls out there"

Then into a group or race descent. "OMFG get out of my way" "only doing 70, have to pedal faster" "I'm perfectly safe 1m behind this guy, he looks like he knows what he is doing"

bloody testosterone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Thankfully, being a wide chap, I don't loose any aero-ness having hands in the drops and elbows in :)

Try it, I don;t think it reduces your frontal area that much, it just makes you a bit more slippery - Wicklow Gap is a good one for it as visibility is key when you're so far from the brakes. You think you're aero in the drops but moving your arms up and in can instantly add 5 or 10 kph.

+1
    100% commitment 100% of the time.

Try it, I don;t think it reduces your frontal area that much, it just makes you a bit more slippery - Wicklow Gap is a good one for it as visibility is key when you're so far from the brakes. You think you're aero in the drops but moving your arms up and in can instantly add 5 or 10 kph.

Will maybe give it a go on Sunday off Sally Gap..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Wimp. Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot are where you need to be trying that kinda stuff.... not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

+1
    100% commitment 100% of the time.

You fellas scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Raam wrote: »
    Wimp. Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot are where you need to be trying that kinda stuff.... not!
    until you see a caution sign its full aero between every bend down from SM anyway :)

Raam wrote: »

Get it right on Sally Gap, use it on SM and SE... it's obvious. Also, if I get it wrong, there's less distance to be casevac'd to hospital
    unionman wrote: »
    You fellas scare me.

If you're not hitting 101% of max hr on a descent you're not pushing enough -you should be a little scared
    until you see a caution sign its full aero between every bend down from SM anyway :)

Any downhill is full aero :)

Advertisement