Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Golf membership in dublin

• 03-06-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently gave up my golf membership in my hometown as i now live in Dublin and only got to play a couple of times last year! I am looking for a cheap golf course to join so i can keep my handicap and get a few rounds in.

I'd be greatful for your recommendations.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

location, budget what kind of facilities are you looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 malahide_col

How about Corballis out in Donabate? Approx 20 mins from Airport. Fantastic course with a yearly fee of only €370 per year - can't go wrong with that in these times. Probably going to join myself soon. Also gets a good review in Kevin Markham's book on golf courses in Ireland. Regards, Colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheGolfeer

Hi,

Turvey Golf Club are now offering 2009 membership for €600, it is really good value and works out at about €22per week for the rest of the year. They have also reduced their green fees to €20 and €15. The course is 10min from Dublin airport. Its worth a look, the course is really good, and the greens are possibly the best around.
    You can get more details on www.turveygolfclub.com

Corballis is a great course but you have to pay green fees when you play along with your €370 membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

TheGolfeer wrote: »
    Hi,

Turvey Golf Club are now offering 2009 membership for €600, it is really good value and works out at about €22per week for the rest of the year. They have also reduced their green fees to €20 and €15. The course is 10min from Dublin airport. Its worth a look, the course is really good, and the greens are possibly the best around.
    You can get more details on www.turveygolfclub.com

Corballis is a great course but you have to pay green fees when you play along with your €370 membership.

Good deal from Turvey, but be careful, there were rumours around that they were in financial trouble.

yep, there were rumours at the start of the year but i have not heard anything since. Their members have to pay a levy at the mo for 2009, so I think they are safe for this year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Was there not a levy last year of 1100, with a further 900 this year, plus 1250 annual fee, last and this year?

That's a total of 4500 for 2 years golf....and I also hear that many of the members are balking at the 900 levy coming in this month.

I think you can get membership in Pormarnock Links for more or less the same money, and with 500 on your card.

Yes, my brother had to pay those levies and has the 900 due this month, but its the 600 membership for the rest of the year that I am talking about. I dont have to pay the levy, just 600, which to me is a bargin as I play 2 to 3 times a week. As far as he is aware the club is OK for 2009, whis is all I am interested in at the mo. 2010 will be very interesting on the green fees and membership, I think all courses will have to drop their rates.

Yes, my brother had to pay those levies and has the 900 due this month, but its the 600 membership for the rest of the year that I am talking about. I dont have to pay the levy, just 600, which to me is a bargin as I play 2 to 3 times a week. As far as he is aware the club is OK for 2009, whis is all I am interested in at the mo. 2010 will be very interesting on the green fees and membership, I think all courses will have to drop their rates.

True, although if a golfer is looking for long term membership, I would suggest looking at other options other than Turvey. Not that I have anything against the place, I've played there a couple of times, I just think that investing anything in that club at this time would be foolish, just my opinion by the way.

I've heard that there were deals done on the Hotel and with builders, all that fell on it's face ala Clontarf, and I personally would not encourage people to join a club that appears to have serious issues on the finance front.

I know that they owe a substantial amount of money to the bank at the moment, and that's through a member/shareholder in the place.

Anybody looking for longterm membership would be mad to sign up for any golf club at the moment, most clubs are cutting rates, and entrance fees, green fees to try and attract new members, wait and get the best deal.
    The ones that are not offering discounted rates, the Forest Littles are able to charge large joining fees.

I think a most clubs will have to go to a annual membership model with some offering golf at lesst than 1000 bucks for 2010.

As for me I have paid up my 600 and will get my handicap cert at last, and can finally put paid to the bandit tag as I will a proper handicap.

Anybody looking for longterm membership would be mad to sign up for any golf club at the moment, most clubs are cutting rates, and entrance fees, green fees to try and attract new members, wait and get the best deal.
    The ones that are not offering discounted rates, the Forest Littles are able to charge large joining fees.

I think a most clubs will have to go to a annual membership model with some offering golf at lesst than 1000 bucks for 2010.

As for me I have paid up my 600 and will get my handicap cert at last, and can finally put paid to the bandit tag as I will a proper handicap.

I totally agree with you, and when you look at somebody down the M50 like Elm Green who can offer membership (all year) from as little as €450 with all the bells and whistles (incl. the GUI), it shows that it pays to not only look at the club, but also look at the state of the club. Elm Green, being backed by the Councils is in a prime position to attract new members on a budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Druids Heath are still doing membership for 1500 per annum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joe Murphy

I joined up with the mooneys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Anyone any idea of the joining fee+annual subs for Edmonstown, Milltown and Castle golf club (in rathfarnam)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 weirdear

Forest Little!

They're not in debt (well circa €300,000 hardly a problem).

Mature inland.

Great Greens during the Summer and most of the Autumn.

10th hole is beside the clubhouse so its always good for evening golf.

I'd say the entry is relatively cheap as well.

Any idea what Forrest Little are looking for these days?

I know the Sunday Business pots do an annual round up of fees but I cant seem to find it online.:(

Would be handy if there was somewhere where you could just check all the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

On paper I still think it's about 8 or 9k but I'm sure a phone call and some bartering would soon change that.

I'm a member so PM me if you need any details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Pataman wrote: »
    Druids Heath are still doing membership for 1500 per annum

Are they still accepting applications? I was under the impression that they had taken their full quota in their first offering back in Feb/March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Anyone any idea of the joining fee+annual subs for Edmonstown, Milltown and Castle golf club (in rathfarnam)?

think the only time a membership frees up in any of these is when they carry someone else out in a box ! I know a few people that have spent quite a lot of time as pavillion members in Milltown and the wait for full membership is still counted in years. I would be surprised if this changes any time soon even with the downturn - very much a closed shop unless you're moving in the "right circles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

They are still accepting memberships. I also got an email that Druids Glen are accepting membership for 4000 incl vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

all closed shops i'm afraid
    but pavillion m/ship is about €4/500.
    some don't offer gui.card with pavillion m/ship
    so be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Are there any clubs within striking distance of south Dublin (Stillorgan area) that are not closed shops/ridiculous money? I am looking at the likes of glencullen at the moment which is reasonably close, but is 9 holes only. All the ones posted elsewhere are donabate/north dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

As far as I know Edmondstown is open for membership @ 20,000 hello money. Word is that Castle and Grange may be taking in new members but from their waiting list.

thegen wrote: »
    As far as I know Edmondstown is open for membership @ 20,000 hello money.

Haha more like Goodbye money. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

shaywest wrote: »
    all closed shops i'm afraid
    but pavillion m/ship is about €4/500.
    some don't offer gui.card with pavillion m/ship
    so be careful!

Interesting comment - which of these offer a GUI card with Pavillon membership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joe Murphy

Joe Murphy wrote: »
    I joined up with the mooneys....

I should have said that I think Reverend Moon is God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

all you seem to do joe is plug this golf course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

all you seem to do joe is plug this golf course

what's wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

In_tuition wrote: »
    what's wrong with that?

not a thing,although i'd have to add you can fly down to Portlaoise gc and get your distance membership for €200,have to live or have an address more than 50 miles away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Nothing really I suppose except I thought thats what the adverts were for

In_tuition wrote: »
    what's wrong with that?

5 out of 6 posts all saying the same thing.

Boards rules:

Don't advertise your company
    We strongly protect the conversational feel of this site. Interjecting your commercial message into that conversation is not only rude, counterproductive, against the rules but also a poor way to win customers, build goodwill and will ultimately get you banned.

We have two alternatives for commercial interaction with the community.

We have forum-targeted ads - you can find out more here.
    You can have your own forum for your own company/organisation - please contact us.
    Promotion is NOT our focus here, discussion is.
    <- Back to Guidelines

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Joe has been given 1 month off (light treatment) and asked to contact hello at boards.ie if he wants to advertise again... plus his posts are being edited because I feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Alan152

Dublin Mountain are offering €499 for the remainder of this year and all next year, included GUI also, im Gonna join in january just to get a handicap as i cant afford much else. Played it a few times, its pretty open but is still very good especially for beginners. Its not far from dublin city golf course if you cut through firhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Why not just google "Golf membership deals dublin", compare rates, facilities, etc. and take it from there?

golfwallah wrote: »
    Why not just google "Golf membership deals dublin", compare rates, facilities, etc. and take it from there?

thanks newbie you have it all sorted don't you:rolleyes:

go and google it for yourself and you'll see why,we have a lot of members on here who can give info that you won't find in google,

a lot of clubs won't know untill the new year how many members they'll lose so the people on boards are a lot more helpfull than just simply 'googling'

• Advertisement

golfwallah wrote: »

checked out the top result on google.........boards.ie
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sutton GC have on their website that they are giving reductions in joining fee for younger golfers. I didn't look for further details as I'm not a big fan if 9 hole courses, but could be useful to someone.

heavyballs wrote: »
    thanks newbie you have it all sorted don't you:rolleyes:

go and google it for yourself and you'll see why,we have a lot of members on here who can give info that you won't find in google,

a lot of clubs won't know untill the new year how many members they'll lose so the people on boards are a lot more helpfull than just simply 'googling'

Shop around is the best route - this includes boards and google. The better prepared clubs will have made allowance for the numbers they expect to lose and set their subs for 2011 accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭strokes1

Joined Hollywood Lakes last year on what I thought was a very good deal of €1500 which included the years subs of €1287 for 2010!

Went to find out how much the 2011 annual subs will be and it was agreed at the AGM to be increased to €1337- an increase of €100 on the sub. This included a €50 reduction on the social spend applied to members cards.

I just cant see how it makes sense to increase the member subs considering numerous clubs in North Dublin can offer membership for less than €1300 (Balcarrick, Donabate, Corballis, Sillogue)

strokes1 wrote: »
    Joined Hollywood Lakes last year on what I thought was a very good deal of €1500 which included the years subs of €1287 for 2010!

Went to find out how much the 2011 annual subs will be and it was agreed at the AGM to be increased to €1337- an increase of €100 on the sub. This included a €50 reduction on the social spend applied to members cards.

I just cant see how it makes sense to increase the member subs considering numerous clubs in North Dublin can offer membership for less than €1300 (Balcarrick, Donabate, Corballis, Sillogue)

With increased competition, clubs are dropping their entrance fees and the smarter ones are reducing their annual subs. Best to shop around for value for money and opt for the one that ticks most of the boxes for you, the customer. I think some clubs have forgotten that members are their best customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

So why didn't you go to the AGM and vote against it. It's because of people like you not attending AGMs that committees always get their vote through. I'm seriously contemplating not rejoining because I suspect that after we lose another 100 members or more in 2011 there will be an EGM to levy the members a further €100. Was building a clubhouse for 3.6 million (net) at the height of the boom such a good idea? I think not.

AldilaMan wrote: »
    So why didn't you go to the AGM and vote against it. It's because of people like you not attending AGMs that committees always get their vote through. I'm seriously contemplating not rejoining because I suspect that after we lose another 100 members or more in 2011 there will be an EGM to levy the members a further €100. Was building a clubhouse for 3.6 million (net) at the height of the boom such a good idea? I think not.

I couldnt go because of work- but thanks for asking people like me!!

I was at the mens AGM and there was no mention of it!

I was looking through the Accounts and I dont think things look very rosey!! The €3.6m loan was on a fixed rate, so what happens when it becomes variable! With such good offer on the table in 2010- the club still lost a net 76 members!! As I said in OP I just dont see how increasing existing member sub will keep "floating" members!

I dont think the club house is gonna be the best idea at all!!!

I couldnt go because of work- but thanks for asking people like me!!

I was at the mens AGM and there was no mention of it!

I was looking through the Accounts and I dont think things look very rosey!! The €3.6m loan was on a fixed rate, so what happens when it becomes variable! With such good offer on the table in 2010- the club still lost a net 76 members!! As I said in OP I just dont see how increasing existing member sub will keep "floating" members!

I dont think the club house is gonna be the best idea at all!!!

OK Strokes if you gotta work then you gotta work but here's the deal. If you want to go to an AGM make sure it's the parent club AGM and not the Men's club. Nothing much happens at the Men's club AGM apart from the usual slow play whinging and complaints about mens competitions. Increases to the subs have to be proposed and seconded in advance of the meeting and that proposal was available on the website. There are around 700 male members and only 100 showed up at the AGM :(. The Committee are reasonably well organised in that they lobby members to adopt proposals. Given the small turnout it makes their job easy to get the required number of votes but that's how the politics work. The only way to defeat these motions is to lobby your fellow members to attend the AGM and defeat the motion.
    As I said in OP I just dont see how increasing existing member sub will keep "floating" members!

I think we're all "floating" members these days !

I did tell people that I wouldn't rejoin if the subs went up so pretty soon I'm going to see if I have any backbone.

AldilaMan

Well, we (three of us!) are leaving Hollywood Lakes for Balcarrick next year!

Best of luck in Balcarrick. I might end up there myself as I think the course redesign has made a really decent track out of it. I think it cost them about 1.5 million so the debt is a bit more manageable. Roganstown is my preferred option if a membership becomes available at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King MmC

Hi all Carton House have a membership referral scheme at the moment for 2011 membership.
    No joining fee, and subs from 2000-2500eur.
    P.M. me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I'm looking for cheap membership somewhere in Dublin. Would be good if they had student or group rates as a friend of mine is also interested. Also is there any golf clubs where I could set up a direct debit kind of system to pay them? This is far from essential , just curious. I've looked around but never seem to find a good deal. Elm Green is a very basic course which is very close to me but I've heard some bad stories about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

King MmC wrote: »
    Hi all Carton House have a membership referral scheme at the moment for 2011 membership.
    No joining fee, and subs from 2000-2500eur

I think that's expensive, regardless of being able to play two courses. And from what I believe its €2,500 per year then add levy €100 + GUI €19.
    €2619 per year is alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭davidrafferty

Hi Minty16,
    Balcarrick in Donabate has a limited number of student and introductory memberships on offer for 2011. These member categories come with some restrictions on booking times online at weekends and on playing in some of their major competitions - other than that, you can play at any time and in inter-club competitions.
    I was captain of Balcarrick last year and all these rates were approved at the AGM in December last.
    Full details of membership rates, easy payment arrangements, student membership conditions, application forms are available on the Balcarrick website.
    Send me a PM if you want to arrange to discuss further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King MmC

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    I think that's expensive, regardless of being able to play two courses. And from what I believe its €2,500 per year then add levy €100 + GUI €19.
    €2619 per year is alot.

Emm, not really thats the hole point of the price is the fact that you can enjoy the luxury of having two courses to play all year instead of just one.

Ive seen courses advertise membership for the same price or a few hundred less with only one course and their not worth that money.
    Membership is €2369 if I refer a person that would like to join.

Shop around and I guarantee you wont find better ''bang for your buck''
    than what you get at carton.

(not trying to have a go at you)

• Advertisement
Advertisement