Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Golf membership in dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

From what I hear there is no club atmosphere at Carton. I know of two members who have gone back to their old club because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King MmC

thegen wrote: »
    From what I hear there is no club atmosphere at Carton. I know of two members who have gone back to their old club because of it.

Well im in my early 20s and love it. Staff are great craic and you can have a good laugh with some of them, and most of the members are very sociable in the comps.
    I agree that if you keep yourself to yourself (I did when I first joined) you will be left to yourself if you know what I mean.
    But other than that theres a great atmosphere out on the courses especially on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I'd advise anyone thinking of carton to hang on a few weeks. In past two years there have been members scrambling around trying to get people to take on thieir subs for the year for much less than the figure quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

King MmC wrote: »
    Emm, not really thats the hole point of the price is the fact that you can enjoy the luxury of having two courses to play all year instead of just one.

Ive seen courses advertise membership for the same price or a few hundred less with only one course and their not worth that money.
    Membership is €2369 if I refer a person that would like to join.

Shop around and I guarantee you wont find better ''bang for your buck''
    than what you get at carton.

(not trying to have a go at you)

Headfort €979 for two cracking courses. There is a €2,500 joining fee but if that could be spread out then it;s the best "bang for your buck". If only I lived a little closer....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King MmC

TheGrump wrote: »
    Headfort €979 for two cracking courses. There is a €2,500 joining fee but if that could be spread out then it;s the best "bang for your buck". If only I lived a little closer....:(

That place looks really nice. Let me rephrase, best bang for your buck in and around dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TerryOC

Turvey should pay you to join... it is not a good course in my opinion... also a lot of problems with members rights / levies etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

I see theres membership available in Sillogue for 360 per year, it does include your GUI card, but you only get reduced fees ( Euros13 ) , unlike full membership which is over 600, but with free golf after that. However the Gui is handy if all you want to do is play the odd game of golf in Sillogue, and go into Open competitions the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I joined a club a week ago in North Dublin and am to be send a GUI number in the post. Its my first club to join for the year and I was told I would have 7 days access to play golf thier. I got a tudent rate on the course for 400 euro for the year. Do you reckon their is a catch and I will have to pay each time I want to book a round or play aswell?

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I joined a club a week ago in North Dublin and am to be send a GUI number in the post. Its my first club to join for the year and I was told I would have 7 days access to play golf thier. I got a tudent rate on the course for 400 euro for the year. Do you reckon their is a catch and I will have to pay each time I want to book a round or play aswell?

Sounds all above board. Which club is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

JD Dublin wrote: »
    I see theres membership available in Sillogue for 360 per year, it does include your GUI card, but you only get reduced fees ( Euros13 ) , unlike full membership which is over 600, but with free golf after that. However the Gui is handy if all you want to do is play the odd game of golf in Sillogue, and go into Open competitions the rest of the year.

You can get play and play membership in Blessington lakes for 379 until March 2012 with a green fee of 8 euro. Full membership is available from 549 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm new to golf and boards.ie, only playing a few times a year and never had a membership. I'm in the Northwest and was checking out Enniscrone Golf Club. Apparently I can join this year for €266! This sounds incredibly cheap for such a fantastic course and I can't find any catch on the website. What do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 carlspackler

I'm new to golf and boards.ie, only playing a few times a year and never had a membership. I'm in the Northwest and was checking out Enniscrone Golf Club. Apparently I can join this year for €266! This sounds incredibly cheap for such a fantastic course and I can't find any catch on the website. What do ye think?

I think you should grab that opportunity with both hands. Fantastic course. Great deal. No brainer.

Yep Carl it does seem like a complete no brainer, but the old saying of things seeming too good to be true then they usually are. Here's the link for the website if anyone wants a look and can see if there are any catches. http://enniscronegolf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=379&Itemid=173

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks,

I joined Kilcock for €184 and play for free, im sure €400 will aswell(On your course, just ask them tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 braka

I can verify that indeed Enniscrone is offering a beginner membership for €266. (1/3 of the full membership) for a limited period.
    This is aimed at those who never had a handicap before or if they haven't had one for over 5 years. The rate for the 2nd year beginners will be 2/3 of 800 (533). A similar scheme was run by Enniscrone Golf Club some years back and many of those who joined the 1st year stayed on the 2nd & 3rd year (full 800 euro for the 3rd year). It gives people a chance to sample golf at a fantastic links course without bursting their budget...if they get to like the game then there is a good chance they will wait on a 2nd year and perhaps even longer. Either way its good for both the new joiner and the Golf Club
    New joiners will be encouraged to avail of the excellent coaching facility and also to take part in scramble leagues etc. so they can enjoy the golf without any pressure.
    Contact the club at enniscronegolf@eircom.net or phone 096-36297 for more info, application forms etc.

• Advertisement

braka wrote: »
    I can verify that indeed Enniscrone is offering a beginner membership for €266. (1/3 of the full membership) for a limited period.
    This is aimed at those who never had a handicap before or if they haven't had one for over 5 years. The rate for the 2nd year beginners will be 2/3 of 800 (533). A similar scheme was run by Enniscrone Golf Club some years back and many of those who joined the 1st year stayed on the 2nd & 3rd year (full 800 euro for the 3rd year). It gives people a chance to sample golf at a fantastic links course without bursting their budget...if they get to like the game then there is a good chance they will wait on a 2nd year and perhaps even longer. Either way its good for both the new joiner and the Golf Club
    New joiners will be encouraged to avail of the excellent coaching facility and also to take part in scramble leagues etc. so they can enjoy the golf without any pressure.
    Contact the club at enniscronegolf@eircom.net or phone 096-36297 for more info, application forms etc.

Thanks for the info Braka, It is a great offer and so good that it was hard to believe. It is an absolutely great course and I think Monday morning I'll be making a call. Amazing to think that a membership can be such good value on what is regarded as one of Ireland's best links courses, especially when a round in Ballybunion could set you back over €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭davidrafferty

DamienOB wrote: »
    I joined Kilcock for €184 and play for free, im sure €400 will aswell(On your course, just ask them tbh)

Hi DamienOB, Can you please confirm if the €184 in Kilcock is for student rate and if any age limit? Can you also clarify what membership type applies to the rate of €400 in Kilkock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Hi DamienOB, Can you please confirm if the €184 in Kilcock is for student rate and if any age limit? Can you also clarify what membership type applies to the rate of €400 in Kilkock?

Mr Rafferty, why don't you simply ring Kilcock, explain that your the past Captain of Balcarrick, and that you would like to know what their rates of memberships are so that you can slightly undercut them and poach their potential members into your own place. I'm sure they would have no problem in giving you the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Mr Rafferty, why don't you simply ring Kilcock,.

Is a good suggestion David. Information sharing on Boards is one thing, but regular use of it as a Balcarrick marketing tool goes a bit far.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dinnyman

Mr Rafferty, why don't you simply ring Kilcock, explain that your the past Captain of Balcarrick, and that you would like to know what their rates of memberships are so that you can slightly undercut them and poach their potential members into your own place. I'm sure they would have no problem in giving you the information.

That's by far and away your best ever post here!
    Quality.

• Advertisement

Sandwlch wrote: »
    marketing tool

Quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bearna

I see Carlow Golf Club has dropped its entrance fee at the moment....to join now you just pay 826 euro (includes bar and restaurant levies as well!!)......seems like great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

bearna wrote: »
    I see Carlow Golf Club has dropped its entrance fee at the moment....to join now you just pay 826 euro (includes bar and restaurant levies as well!!)......seems like great value.

Good to see your getting lessons from the David Rafferty School of Marketing. Every post you've made has been touting Carlow Golf Club in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

f22 wrote: »
    Good to see your getting lessons from the David Rafferty School of Marketing. Every post you've made has been touting Carlow Golf Club in some way.

And it's great to see all these country clubs are now in Dublin!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

thegen wrote: »
    And it's great to see all these country clubs are now in Dublin!!!!!

Yes, despite the halt of the building industry Dublin has recently expanded southwards to eclipse Carlow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

Carlow is a much better course than any mentioned on this thrend so far and is 50mins from dublin. worth looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Quick scan of this thread and i don't see anything about Dublin City GC, €980 for the year includes GUI levy and entrance fee into 10 major competitions.
    Course any good? Practice area for short game?

Gonna play it in a couple of weeks and see for myself but insight from another member be great like if it's easy to get on timesheet, get out in the evenings and so on.

€1000 be my limit for membership anywhere at the moment and needs to be as near as Bray as possible.

I like this "Be our Guest at 10 of the Best !!"scheme that i took off the Bray Golf club site while looking at their membership fees....

I am delighted to announce that as a Member of Bray Golf Club there is now an added benefit to your Membership. Bray Golf Club is a member club of the "Be our Guest at 10 of the Best !!" promotion. This enables you and 3 friends to play any one of the other 9 courses at their Member Guest Rate. Through the promotion we are trying to encourage our own Members to support each others Clubs when they are playing casual golf away from their own Club.

The 9 other courses participating in the scheme are as follows :

* Arklow
    * Blainroe
    * Charlesland
    * Delgany
    * Glen of the Downs
    * Greystones
    * Kilcoole
    * Wicklow
    * Woodenbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

derra wrote: »

I like this "Be our Guest at 10 of the Best !!"scheme that i took off the Bray Golf club site while looking at their membership fees....

I am delighted to announce that as a Member of Bray Golf Club there is now an added benefit to your Membership. Bray Golf Club is a member club of the "Be our Guest at 10 of the Best !!" promotion. This enables you and 3 friends to play any one of the other 9 courses at their Member Guest Rate. Through the promotion we are trying to encourage our own Members to support each others Clubs when they are playing casual golf away from their own Club.

that's great but their yearly fee of around €1800 is madness for an average course(think you get about €300 on your card with that)

i think membership joining fee is €5k,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

heavyballs wrote: »
    that's great but their yearly fee of around €1800 is madness for an average course(think you get about €300 on your card with that)

i think membership joining fee is €5k,

It's very expensive alright and more so when ya have'nt got it !

Great scheme though if ya were a member of any of those clubs, bit of variety at cheaper rate without having to know someone who is a member of the other clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joe golfer

I hear that Turvey might not be the only golf club in the Donabate area in trouble, A close friend of mine has been trying to get paid for goods he supplied last May and as yet has not got paid. maybe the new members that are joining from hollywood lakes will help to pay this particular clubs bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

joe golfer wrote: »
    I hear that Turvey might not be the only golf club in the Donabate area in trouble, A close friend of mine has been trying to get paid for goods he supplied last May and as yet has not got paid. maybe the new members that are joining from hollywood lakes will help to pay this particular clubs bills.

strokes1 wrote: »
    Well, we (three of us!) are leaving Hollywood Lakes for Balcarrick next year!

Can I assume you're talking about Balcarrick where Strokes1 and his mates were going before the little spat with Captain Rafferty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭strokes1

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Can I assume you're talking about Balcarrick where Strokes1 and his mates were going before the little spat with Captain Rafferty ;)

Dont mention the war!!!!

Im intrigued to know which club joe is on about! thats some aged debtor...May last year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Hi,

Looking for membership this year myself within a reasonable distance to Rathmines. Castleknock or Luttrellstown would kind of suit as I can avoid the tolls and they are relatively easy to get to from the city centre too. Only thing that concerns me is Castleknock always appears to have loads of tee times at the weekend. Also looking in round Rathfarnham/Brittas but Stackstown is the only club that is not ripping the a*** out of the joining fee (Ideally I don't want to pay one) and South County seems to be like Castleknock with tee times available. Anyone played either of these courses and have any thoughts on any other clubs?

Also I don't mind paying a bit extra as long as the practice facilities are good.

Cheers

Lets just say if you won a Major prize in this club last year, chances are it has not been paid for yet. They are on a cash only deal this year, unless they change suppliers. So to the lads thinking of moving club, Be careful:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭strokes1

spit it out Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

strokes1 wrote: »
    Dont mention the war!!!!

Im intrigued to know which club joe is on about! thats some aged debtor...May last year!!!

and do mention the war, I'm a nosy b'stard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi,

Looking for membership this year myself within a reasonable distance to Rathmines. Castleknock or Luttrellstown would kind of suit as I can avoid the tolls and they are relatively easy to get to from the city centre too. Only thing that concerns me is Castleknock always appears to have loads of tee times at the weekend. Also looking in round Rathfarnham/Brittas but Stackstown is the only club that is not ripping the a*** out of the joining fee (Ideally I don't want to pay one) and South County seems to be like Castleknock with tee times available. Anyone played either of these courses and have any thoughts on any other clubs?

Also I don't mind paying a bit extra as long as the practice facilities are good.

Cheers

I played both of these courses and IMO there is no comparison Castleknock is far superior to Luttrellstown. Castleknock has some lovely challenging holes like par threes over 220 yds. You also have a lot of american style sloping Greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Hi,

Cheers
    I'm a member oF South County and I hear they are offering a deal of €1489 for new members.No joining fee or bar levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

sky6 wrote: »
    I played both of these courses and IMO there is no comparison Castleknock is far superior to Luttrellstown. Castleknock has some lovely challenging holes like par threes over 220 yds. You also have a lot of american style sloping Greens.

Nonsense. Castleknock may be "far superior" to the likes of Hollystown or Elm Green, but Luttrellstown, I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Hi,

Cheers

Stackstown isn't a great course to be honest. Nice people and nice club atmosphere. Surprisingly crappy practice facilities for a club that has produced a few great amateur internationals, local pros and PH. Probably not the best car park to be in if your Tax is out of date though ;) It is a club of great tradition though. Medals, Captain's Prizes and Interclub teams are really well supported and fiercely competitive - in a good way!

South County has just built a new short game practice green with a bunker and pitching areas from different lies and slopes. There's two other practice greens as well. Pretty decent driving range, with grass bays all through the proper season, and two indoor astro mats year-round. Club pro is a ridiculously gifted ex-Tour player, so it's a good spot for lessons. You can get a primetime slot at the weekend if you're online within 48 hours of the sheet going live, or pick up a cancellation pretty easily on the Friday. It's busy, but pretty reasonable.

Woodbrook is another one worth looking at, out the N11 from you. I love the practice facilities. Two open grass spaces to hit iron shots with your own practice balls. Three practice greens, one of which has a couple of bunkers and is right beside the club house. It's a lovely course too. Time sheet is absolutely bedlam, even midweek with things like mixed evening 9 hole comps, but a very social place too.

Lutrellstown is very different to the above in terms of membership and business - quite a quiet spot. I love the golf course and set-up, beautiful club house etc. But the maintanence on the greens and course in general is not quite the standard it once was. Staff are really friendly and you'll get on the timesheet anytime you want. The down side being a little bit of a lack of buzz about the place on competition day.

Begining to look like Turvey out in hollywood lakes at the moment, I was out there on saturday for a meet and greet, great to see so many of my old friends Looks like i made a goood decision ,Looking forward to a good years golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Begining to look like Turvey out in hollywood lakes at the moment, I was out there on saturday for a meet and greet, great to see so many of my old friends Looks like i made a goood decision ,Looking forward to a good years golf.

What decision Joe ? Did you join Hollywood Lakes ? Why write ambiguous posts like this one

What club in Donabate ?

If you've got something to say why don't you just say it or are we supposed to be mind readers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Afaik Castleknock does not have a driving range.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Quick question lads. I'm looking at getting in at the budget end of golf clubs in Dublin. Only two musts are that up front fee is under 5/600 quid, and that they have comps on a Saturday. I don't mind paying the weekly fee scenario as Im currently doing the open circuit via a rubbish club distance membership.

My choices are Dublin city, Dublin mountain, hollystown and elm green. I love Corballis but afaik they don't play comps Saturday. Any thoughts folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Quick question lads. I'm looking at getting in at the budget end of golf clubs in Dublin. Only two musts are that up front fee is under 5/600 quid, and that they have comps on a Saturday. I don't mind paying the weekly fee scenario as Im currently doing the open circuit via a rubbish club distance membership.

My choices are Dublin city, Dublin mountain, hollystown and elm green. I love Corballis but afaik they don't play comps Saturday. Any thoughts folks?

If you are willing to travel a little beyond Dublin Mountain/City to Blessington Lakes we have a deal at the moment for 549 for full membership if introduced by a member.If you are looking for cheaper there is also a pay and play option. Although Sunday is the main competition date there are also competitions played on a Saturday. Send me a pm if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 decdoherty

I'm looking at joining Grange Castle out in south west Dublin, which might be worth a look depending where you're based. They've 2 membership options, €1,100 for full membership and €390 where you pay a reduced green fee, both options include full gui membership. I believe that weekend competitions can be played in on both Saturday and Sunday, with certain times reserved for members as it's a public course

Ye joined Hollywood Lakes played saturday and sunday good buzz around the place, A lot of enquiries from the donabate area about membership.I hear the pro from balcarrik has gone? Is there anybody left out there? they seem to be gone very quite.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

I've just left Hollystown for Swords Open . Got into Swords Open for 100 joining Fee and 300 membership. Nice Course and only 15 per round for members. Suits me as I play in a society with 10 outings and will also play maybe 7-8 opens and aim to play in the club 10-15 times. Hollystown is Sunday only comps except for the big ones (captains/presidents) which are usually over both days . Hollystown is 390 + 26 per round (no joining fee).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Are you sure Corballis don't have comps? Of the others, I only really know Dublin City. It's a grand course for that money, with plenty of members who play weekend competitions.

The below is interesting...
    If you are willing to travel a little beyond Dublin Mountain/City to Blessington Lakes we have a deal at the moment for 549 for full membership if introduced by a member.If you are looking for cheaper there is also a pay and play option. Although Sunday is the main competition date there are also competitions played on a Saturday. Send me a pm if you are interested.

It's dirt cheap - a really good price. I reckon the 9 holes of BL are better than either 9 at Dublin City. BL is certainly longer. But some people get bored playing the same 9 twice. It's also a fair bit out past Dublin City - at least 15 mins which could be a factor, as it sounds like your coming from town. That'd be 30 mins to Dublin City with no traffic.

I wouldn't be a fan of the Dublin Mountain course myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Wicklow Golf Club are doing a good deal at the moment.

Full membership for EUR 1,500 which includes your 2011 Sub. It's only 30mins from Dublin. Very scenic track, greens are as good as you will find anywhere, vibrant club atmosphere & clubhouse. Worth consideration in my book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement