Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF split - Rent is due - Now What?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Im hoping you can give me some advice on my situation. Ill keep it short.

Its intended as an Accommodation query and not a PI.

Myself and my GF moved into a new place in Feb this year and both signed a 6 month lease. I provided the 1st month rent and Deposit as she was only finding her feet in her new job.

Long story short.
    My GF got homesick and had to leave. Packed her bags and left.

Dont get me wrong I love the space, But i cant afford to pay the rent all on my own. Its 1100 a month. Its 1 single + 1 double. But i think the single is only suitable as a spare room for bits and pieces. We moved there to be together, its a car journey from my friends. And im finding it lonely in the evenings.

So whats the situation here ? Is there anyway to get out of the lease ?
    Can i chase my GF for rent owed as she signed the lease aswell ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you both signed the lease, then you are both liable for the costs. The landlord can go after her for the rent.

Your best bet is to probably talk to the landlord, and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

and the you are also now responsible for the entire rent so he can insist you paying...but explain to him what has happened and he might let it slide for one month to allow you time to get someone else in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

So how long is left on the lease, one or two months?

Personally I'd just do whatever I needed to do in order to finish out the lease myself. Nothing is a certainty when you sign a lease with a partner. If she is on the lease as you say then you have the right to chase her her share of the rent and if she doesn't pony up you'll probably end up in small claims court.

It all depends on you and what you want to do.Maybe you could approach the LL, explain the situation and ask the rent be reduced by 1 or 2 hundred for the remainder of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Theres 2 payments left on the lease. Looks like its being left to me to pay it.

If she doesnt pay, what happens then ? Do i need a solicitor for this ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

beerbaron wrote: »
    Theres 2 payments left on the lease. Looks like its being left to me to pay it.

If she doesnt pay, what happens then ? Do i need a solicitor for this ?

Thanks

Its down to you and what you want to do. Have you been in contact with her yet in relation to the position shes left you in? I just realized that you paid the 1st month by yourself so thats 3months your stuck with.

If she is on the lease then Im sure there will be no problem bringing her to court (for this, seek legal advice from a solicitor), although this would mean that you pay now and chase her for her portion at a later stage.

Have you a good relationship with the Landlord?

Maybe a little more backround as to the events that led upto this happening might give us a better understanding of what you should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Its down to you and what you want to do. Have you been in contact with her yet in relation to the position shes left you in? I just realized that you paid the 1st month by yourself so thats 3months your stuck with.

If she is on the lease then Im sure there will be no problem bringing her to court (for this, seek legal advice from a solicitor), although this would mean that you pay now and chase her for her portion at a later stage.

Have you a good relationship with the Landlord?

Maybe a little more backround as to the events that led upto this happening might give us a better understanding of what you should do.

Thanks for replying i appreciate your advice.
    Ive been in contact with her, and she knows all too well the financial position im in now.

She quit her job here before she left and she has moved back home to England now (possible complication ?)

She has no money though is starting a new job soon.

I have a good relationship with the landlords though hardly ever hear from them - but ive lost their number - Typical.

Is it unheard of to end the lease 1 month early ? and still get deposit back ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

beerbaron wrote: »
    Thanks for replying i appreciate your advice.
    Ive been in contact with her, and she knows all too well the financial position im in now.

She quit her job here before she left and she has moved back home to England now (possible complication ?)

She has no money though is starting a new job soon.

I have a good relationship with the landlords though hardly ever hear from them - but ive lost their number - Typical.

Is it unheard of to end the lease 1 month early ? and still get deposit back ?

Thanks

Only if you got someone else in, or the landlord felt like giving you €1100 for kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Couldn't you just ask him to keep the deposit as the last month's rent? Then you only have one more payment to worry about... Just an idea

Advertisement