Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Horse Welfare Trust Rehoming Schemes

Options
  • 03-06-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience rehoming horses from this charity? I've been thinking about getting a horse for sometime now, nothing fancy just a happy hacker and i came across this website. They rehome a variety of horses and retrained racehorses. I'd much rather give a good home to a animal that needed it if i could. So if anybodies got any opinions on this charity or others like it please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there, i rehomed an ex racehorse from IHWT about 4 years ago, Sparky was his name. Unfortunately last year i had to rehome him as my financial circumstances changed, but he went to a fab home in Kilkenny.

You need to go through a homecheck and so on to see if you are suitable to take a horse, the people are lovely though.

If you rehome a horse with them you are not allowed to sell it on if you cant keep it anymore as they technically still own the horse, so when i couldnt keep sparky anymore they found a new home through the IHWT.

If there are any more questions you need to ask just shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I'm considreing contacting them also for a pony for my little girl. much better to give a home to one that needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deiselady

i also would take a horse as i would like a hacker but i was told that u now have to take two together.surely this is crazy.i already have an old horse that will be company for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Are ya serious. I didn't know that. sure that would be very expensive. I don't know, I will have to call them. Don't the ispca also sometimes have horses for homing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If your looking for something reliable a nervy ex-racer may not be it.

The bottom has fallen out of the lower end of the horse market. You could be able to get a happy hacker pretty cheaply providing you don't mind an ugly one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My fella was a pet, even though he was an ex racehorse he was so quiet, he had a fantastic temperament and was a dream to ride and do anything with, he didnt have the temperament of a racehorse at all.

They are put through a reschooling programme before they are rehomed to make sure they are suitable and safe for people.

When i got my fella you didnt have to take 2 horses, i only got the one and so did my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

andreac wrote: »
    suitable and safe for people.

That's the tricky part, you got to make sure people are safe/suitable for them!

OP if you down the tb route make doubly sure the tendons and feet are fine.

Advertisement