Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

database management system

• 03-06-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for some advice regarding a database that I have created.

I have collected information on potential clients, about 350, and used excel to create the list.

What programme would you recommend in helping me manage this. I want to be able track easily who has been contacted, flag what sort of lead they are and set up some form of an alert tool which will alert me to contact a client at a certain time.

Can Microsoft Access be used to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Excel is for spreadsheets, financial. Don't EVER think of doing database tasks in anything other than a database management tool like Access, SQL Server, Oracle etc.

It should be a seamless import from Excel to Access. The rest is easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭glanman

Thanks for that. Will Access do what I am looking to do above?

I am a total novice to Access but I do have it install, is it easy to learn and how should I go about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

glanman wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Will Access do what I am looking to do above?

I am a total novice to Access but I do have it install, is it easy to learn and how should I go about this?

It's ease is relative. For an Access Expert [Moi], it's a piece of piddle. For a total newcomer, it can be a hurdle. I recommend that you start of with the i n built help file ::: In Access, top right corner, click the Help question mark [assuming Access 2007] - Otherwise click on Help Menu and navigate from there. You can potentially get all you need from the in built help and a few websites.

However, if you want a crash course, you can go out and purchase a cheap "Access for Dummies" book. These books are great for novices and should have you up and running in a couple of days. [You could probably do it in an hour or two if you knew your stuff, just for comparison].

Excel may be easy for lists but not cross comparison of different lists etc.

Advertisement