Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

Antamojo wrote: »
    I say we give Louth to the North, along with the other s-hitty counties.
    :)

*Waits for flaiming*

i concur

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bebolink

*sighs*

Sorry for the impending caps lock but....

NOBODY TAKES BEBO "PETITIONS" SERIOUSLY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i wonder if the school in libya that does the leaving will do english 2.0?

I think those Libyans will be touched by the interest we're showing in their school!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Im sure the new paper will be as fair as the first one but...

I like making unnecessary amounts of fuss when I have the chance to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

cloak wrote:
    If you think about it logicly,,,

Whenever they are making out the two papers at the beginning of the year, they arent gonna make them impossibly different, because they understand the whole rigmarole of predictions, and that the majority of schools base their sylabus on predictions!!! ya dig???

I'd look at it the opposite way, especially for something like English II.

Say they're choosing 4 poets from 8. They claim it's random but a lot of people believe there's a method to it, such as gender balance, presence of Irish poets, anniversaries, whether they've come up recently etc. So many schools try predict, often successfully, what poets will be asked, and prepare accordingly. So if I was there, and was about to make a backup exam, the prevailing likelihood would be that I'd change 2/3 if not ALL of the poets, given the scope of choice I'd have.

And similarly, in the case of Macbeth, I'd definitely choose a different issue to focus a question on, and the same again for the comparative.

Maybe that would just be me though.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

thats exactly the point i was trying to tell my friends, it's hard to phrase it! agreed :D

okay so you can prepare for the original but there was no guarantee of what you studied coming up. it really has put a spanner in the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glamis

does any one know if certain exceptions will be given for maths paper 2? i don't know about any of you but i was relying on that time to study innit!!!!!
    my head hurts and i stink of cheese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd say by now the vast majority of LC students have found out what was on the paper. Should the SEC ban all of us from taking state exams?

For what? Discussing that the exam has been leaked? Telling people to piss off when they were saying what was meant to be on it?

Are you really saying that you don't see how the people posting it for all to see is an attempt to help people cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That_Guy wrote: »
    *sighs*

Sorry for the impending caps lock but....

NOBODY TAKES BEBO "PETITIONS" SERIOUSLY!!

It ain't mine, just spreading the love.:D

Anyone up for a party tonight? Or a giant hug?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think English and Irish are the only two marked like that. All the other double papers are separated
    I corrected LC Hons English a couple of years back, and they were separated at that stage.

I actually agree that keeping them together is a better idea though ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anyone else think this thread is now going off topic and just turning into stupid and silly insults about spelling and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

"Facts" are objective. Signatures are legally binding and incredibly powerful. If I were asked to sign,I would ensure I was aware of all the ramifications of this. I would know the reasons why I signed the parcel,and check to make sure everything was in order. The rules/guidelines are there for a reason and should be respected.

Firstly, with all due respect, I doubt you would have taken such detailed cognisance of the "ramifications" of what you were about to undertake when you had to sit the first exam of the Leaving Cert. It's understandable that you may feel this way, but it is always easy to say these things after the fact.

Secondly, with regard to facts, two things: a) the statement I made was sarcastic in nature and b) if you study law you'll quickly discover facts are far from objective - they are as we perceive and state them to be, a process inherently tinged with a measure of subjectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Guys, I hate to interrupt with a dose of sanity but:

1. The system is fallible, as it relies on people and people make mistakes. The superintendent gave out the wrong paper, simple as.
    2. The only way to retain the integrity of the exam is to give out an alternative paper.
    3. That paper would have been prepared at the same time as the original, so they're not going to do an easier one up based on sympathy! If the Ordinary Level paper wasn't seen, it will be the original paper.
    4. Every single thing on that paper will not be completely different, e.g. 2 of the poets will probably be the same.
    5. Having it on Saturday is the fairest thing to do. They couldn't change the entire exam timetable. Neither could they hold it at the end of the exams as it would delay the entire Leaving Cert results, by weeks possibly.
    6. There will be a marking scheme for correctors, which has to be adhered to. It won't be marked easier or harder, but everyone is in the same boat, so that evens it out.
    7. Any of you who think that a petition is going to change anything is seriously deluded and has no idea of the logistics involved.
    8. Anybody who narrowed down his/her study to 2 poets and one Macbeth essay was asking for trouble.

and breathe...

You've a day off tomorrow guys, some of you. Use it to study instead of posting threats/conspiracies/wild guesses.

btw I correct and this will probably postpone the conference and the marking (and my holiday plans). My colleagues have to come in on Saturday. Teachers are raging too!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevendcarroll

Its funny, cos all the people at the begining of the thread said there's no way it happened and that its all a hoax! also MrDav the guy who clames to have been in the school only joined this month, and only has 4 posts all in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fuNk90

amacachi wrote: »
    For what? Discussing that the exam has been leaked? Telling people to piss off when they were saying what was meant to be on it?

Are you really saying that you don't see how the people posting it for all to see is an attempt to help people cheat?
    how is it an attempt for people to cheat? for posting it on the net and it was being clearly obvious that it wouldnt go ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

amacachi wrote: »

I'd understand if somebody saw the paper, told people, and it was found out later. But the fact is that it wasn't the students' fault; the paper would've been changed either way. To punish certain people for it would have been ridiculous, since it was someone employed by the SEC who cause the c*ckup in the first place.

deemark wrote: »

Yup. There ain't much sanity round here:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

1. The system is fallible, as it relies on people and people make mistakes. The superintendent gave out the wrong paper, simple as.
    2. The only way to retain the integrity of the exam is to give out an alternative paper.
    3. That paper would have been prepared at the same time as the original, so they're not going to do an easier one up based on sympathy! If the Ordinary Level paper wasn't seen, it will be the original paper.
    4. Every single thing on that paper will not be completely different, e.g. 2 of the poets will probably be the same.
    5. Having it on Saturday is the fairest thing to do. They couldn't change the entire exam timetable. Neither could they hold it at the end of the exams as it would delay the entire Leaving Cert results, by weeks possibly.
    6. There will be a marking scheme for correctors, which has to be adhered to. It won't be marked easier or harder, but everyone is in the same boat, so that evens it out.
    7. Any of you who think that a petition is going to change anything is seriously deluded and has no idea of the logistics involved.
    8. Anybody who narrowed down his/her study to 2 poets and one Macbeth essay was asking for trouble.

and breathe...

You've a day off tomorrow guys, some of you. Use it to study instead of posting threats/conspiracies/wild guesses.

btw I correct and this will probably postpone the conference and the marking (and my holiday plans). My colleagues have to come in on Saturday. Teachers are raging too!

Good luck

100% agree. This should end the thread really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I corrected LC Hons English a couple of years back, and they were separated at that stage.

I actually agree that keeping them together is a better idea though ...

I correct another subject, and the rate for English would certainly suggest 2 papers :D, I think it's on the list as two, but I can't find the sheet

typical civil servants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

The superintendants go to athlone pick the papers up and drive back or som I've heard... Theyre all kept there!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

You've a day off tomorrow guys, some of you.

i may have a day off but i have two exams on friday, one of which is higher maths, this has completely screwed up my revision for maths that i really need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

ALincoln wrote: »
    Firstly, with all due respect, I doubt you would have taken such detailed cognisance of the "ramifications" of what you were about to undertake when you had to sit the first exam of the Leaving Cert. It's understandable that you may feel this way, but it is always easy to say these things after the fact.

Secondly, with regard to facts, two things: a) the statement I made was sarcastic in nature and b) if you study law you'll quickly discover facts are far from objective - they are as we perceive and state them to be, a process inherently tinged with a measure of subjectivity.

I like you :D You're my kind of person.
    But honestly,I am incredibly picky over where I sign my name. Ridiculously so. I think the examiner would profoundly regret ever asking me to sign it. We literally would've started late.
    I only realised afterward that you may have been sarcastic,which was stupidity on my part :rolleyes: I do actually want to study law,it isn't looking likely though.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Anyone else think this thread is now going off topic and just turning into stupid and silly insults about spelling and stuff?

Definitely. Marks for 'clarity of purpose' would be very low!

Stinjy wrote: »
    The superintendants go to athlone pick the papers up and drive back or som I've heard... Theyre all kept there!
    yup think there down in the guards atm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This will be my last post on the matter.

If you've studied thoroughly for English Paper 2 for your LC then you should have no problem regardless of whether they change the paper or not.

I know it's a huge fcuk up but you have to deal with it now.

If you haven't studied for the paper then that's your own fault. You've now got extra time to study for it which is something you don't get too often.

I know it's on a Saturday but there would be uproar if they tacked it on after the LC was supposed to be finished.

Think of the positives. There are *insert how many thousand students sitting the LC here* and the exam is 3 days.
    There's a slight chance that they won't change it at all because it would be difficult to print new papers and distribute them to all of the schools in the country unless they've got a back up plan for this sort of thing, which to be honest doesn't seem to be the case.

There's other exams you have to deal with. Not just English. You should be using your time wisely here instead of setting up stupid bebo groups wanting to nuke Louth etc. It's just childish.

If you study, get your points and become a nuclear physicist then maybe you can go about nuking Louth. But unless you use your time wisely it just ain't gonna happen.

You can blame the Louthians all you want but who wouldn't have done the same thing had they been given the wrong paper? If you say you wouldn't have then you're a filthy liar.

That is all.

Best of luck with the rest of the exams.

And remember just because you've no exam tomorrow morning doesn't mean you should lie in. Use what would have been exam time to study for that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

okay so you can prepare for the original but there was no guarantee of what you studied coming up. it really has put a spanner in the works.

yeah obv, just in terms of what poets come up like, like its silly thinking three that came up last year will be on the back up! the SEC surely have method in these matters

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

100% agree. This should end the thread really.
    Someone would just open another one though to rant in ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

My colleagues have to come in on Saturday. Teachers are raging too!

My heart bleeds for the teachers who's three months paid holidays are interrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

If by North you mean North Korea then yes.

(only messing with you Louth people. I'd never wish that on anyone, even North Korea.)

Brilliant. I agree, North Korea doesn't deserve that harsh of a punishment.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I wouldn't use that type of spelling in your English paper 2. :)

As for the whole hating Louth thing...... Get over it. You would have done the exact same thing.

It's not like the examiner would take the papers back and say "Ok now girls and boys.... Now you won't tell anyone about this will you?"

Thanks I was going to use it for my poetry section, describing the poet's work a flaming pile of s-hite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement