Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RageBeat

This whole thing is hilarious..
    Ireland fails epically once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

abelard wrote: »
    I'd look at it the opposite way, especially for something like English II.

Say they're choosing 4 poets from 8. They claim it's random but a lot of people believe there's a method to it, such as gender balance, presence of Irish poets, anniversaries, whether they've come up recently etc. So many schools try predict, often successfully, what poets will be asked, and prepare accordingly. So if I was there, and was about to make a backup exam, the prevailing likelihood would be that I'd change 2/3 if not ALL of the poets, given the scope of choice I'd have.

And similarly, in the case of Macbeth, I'd definitely choose a different issue to focus a question on, and the same again for the comparative.

Maybe that would just be me though.....:confused:

Yup, think that is just you :P. If you think about it though, the mock papers from both companies were practically identical, and the real thing was really similar to the two of them- the contingency one (which was probably written around the same time) can't be all that much different.

It's crazy to try and say there isn't a method to it, of course there is- the setters try and keep it as unpredictable as possible, but at the same time the paper is supposed to be relevant (eg essay on cúlú in Irish), and is supposed to change from year to year. They also can't have feminists up in arms about why there aren't any women, or patriots saying why there aren't any Irish people. The DofE needs to cover their ass!

At the same time, I don't think the new paper will be as nice as the one we can't do :(. Gosh darnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

i may have a day off but i have two exams on friday, one of which is higher maths, this has completely screwed up my revision for maths that i really need.

There's no point in whinging - use the time tomorrow and get off the internet now!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

100% agree. This should end the thread really.

sensible:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fuNk90

isnt this the first year that walcott is on the course? chances of unrequited love?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fuNk90

My heart bleeds for the teachers who's three months paid holidays are interrupted.
    couldnt have put it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mockatron

<SNIP> no thankee <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevendcarroll

RageBeat wrote: »
    This whole thing is hilarious..
    Ireland fails epically once again.

True that!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

deemark wrote: »
    Guys, I hate to interrupt with a dose of sanity but:

1. The system is fallible, as it relies on people and people make mistakes. The superintendent gave out the wrong paper, simple as.
    :rolleyes:

Are you him? How hard is it for the superintendent to read the cover properly "English paper 1" it should say not "English paper 2". It has disrupted a lot of study, not to mentioned caused a lot of unwarranted stress. Blame also has to be laid on the 2 students who made sure it was English paper 1, and signed for it.

Why wasn't it reported at the time by the superintendent instead of the SEC finding out it had been leaked via the Internet (Source RTé).

A lot of people are angry because it was a such a stupid and basic mistake, that could and SHOULD have been avoided.

There's no two ways about it, he should not be allowed supervise a state exam again.
    deemark wrote: »
    Edit- 5. Having it on Saturday is the fairest thing to do. They couldn't change the entire exam timetable. Neither could they hold it at the end of the exams as it would delay the entire Leaving Cert results, by weeks possibly.

Saturday IS the fairest but it should not be THIS Saturday, it should be the following week. It would be fairer to all students affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

I like you :D You're my kind of person.
    But honestly,I am incredibly picky over where I sign my name. Ridiculously so. I think the examiner would profoundly regret ever asking me to sign it. We literally would've started late.
    I only realised afterward that you may have been sarcastic,which was stupidity on my part :rolleyes: I do actually want to study law,it isn't looking likely though.

Sorry if my posts seemed harsh! I do study law, it's a very enjoyable course, well worth it...don't lose heart because of some mistakes, use the half day wisely...you'll stroll into it! (And if not, bear in mind that there are many,many back doors into practising law!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Gentlemen, god forbid we will actually have to do 5 poets.... Like the course says we should. But we will do them and when it comes to marking the papers will come out with the same amount of A1's as last year so its all dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

For ****'s sake!!

What about the bloody poets? Will they be changed around?

I'm telling you if Adrienne Rich is on that paper I'm going to kill someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

anyone else find it really funny that it happened in louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My heart bleeds for the teachers who's three months paid holidays are interrupted.

So, from the points I made, trying to inject a bit of reality, experience and reassurance into the debate, the only thing you took on board was that teachers get 3 months holidays?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

The woman from the parents association on the news said there should be a second or third witness to check the papers but there is! two students sign the bag before opening it so its their fault too!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

Leejo wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Are you him? How hard is it for the superintendent to read the cover properly "English paper 1" it should say not "English paper 2". It has disrupted a lot of study, not to mentioned caused a lot of unwarranted stress. Blame also has to be laid on the 2 students who made sure it was English paper 1, and signed for it.

Why wasn't it reported at the time by the superintendent instead of the SEC finding out it had been leaked via the Internet (Source RTé).

A lot of people are angry because it was a such a stupid and basic mistake, that could and SHOULD have been avoided.

There's no two ways about it, he should not be allowed supervise a state exam again.

He/She WON'T be allowed supervise an exam ever again, of that I am pretty much convinced!! And the thing about mistakes that makes them mistakes is that they are mostly stupid, basic, and avoidable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

OneArt wrote: »
    For ****'s sake!!

Let me shake my magic 8 ball........ "Try again later"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Here you better watch yourself, you're from Kilkenny. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

The main thing I am worried about now is what to focus on for the new English paper. I have no idea how they make up back ups or if they even relate to the original paper. Do we still apply the predictions that our teachers have made, which all seem to be pretty similar, or is the back-up just a completely different ballpark? I don't know if I should be treating the first draft like a past paper, and disregarding the questions and topics thinking that they will not come up this round, or just take them as major hints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭FockRoysh

Yes. Without doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Stinjy wrote: »
    The superintendants go to athlone pick the papers up and drive back or som I've heard... Theyre all kept there!

No, only the ones supervising in the athlone area.... it wouldn't be realistic to ask someone to drive from donegal to athlone everyday of the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Im happy that I can have a lie in tomorow and study for maths,but I really wish it wasnt on saturday. I like to have my study and relaxation in seperate blocks as it helps me to feel more stable. Even so,I think some people are going a bit far. Maybe they will take into account our stress when they are correcting the exams but even if they don't I'm sure we will all be totally fine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fashionably late aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

For ****'s sake!!

this is where im hoping only studying the two women is gonna pay off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

No, only the ones supervising in the athlone area.... it wouldn't be realistic to ask someone to drive from donegal to athlone everyday of the exams.

They get delievered by a government courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what I meant is you forget louth exists and then it goes and does something like this :pac: kind of hilarious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

BlueSpiral wrote: »
    The main thing I am worried about now is what to focus on for the new English paper. I have no idea how they make up back ups or if they even relate to the original paper. Do we still apply the predictions that our teachers have made, which all seem to be pretty similar, or is the back-up just a completely different ballpark? I don't know if I should be treating the first draft like a past paper, and disregarding the questions and topics thinking that they will not come up this round, or just take them as major hints.

Just do what you've been doing. If you've done enough poets you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

If it had been in Leitrim, it would've been 100 times funnier...:pac:..

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

For ****'s sake!!

The contingency paper was written ages ago though! They can't just change it now right? If both the mock papers had those exact poets and they didn't change them on the real paper, then I don't think that's going to make them change the new one. Only the questions we'll be asked on them are different

Eg Instead of write a personal response to Keat's poetry

We'll get Keats uses vivid imagery and emotive language. Discuss.

***This is only my opinion. I'm not 100% sure of this.****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

this is where im hoping only studying the two women is gonna pay off

i think they'll all be there except with montague instead of one of them!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement