Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

kona wrote: »
    how long dos it take to collect papers in a rush from a row of 10 desks?

Not enough to get a good look.

And they would most likely be in close proximity to the examiner too I'd reckon. Surely all of the students didn't get a copy only then for someone to say it was paper 2.

WTF has that got to do with anything?

It's putting things into perspective that there's bigger things than the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

OKAY

First exam of the LC. Students are nervous and just want to get started.

Examination papers are placed face down on the desk

9.30 Exam starts.

5 seconds later sombody raises their hand and says its paper2.

Students told to drop the paper and they are recovered.

NOW

Paper 2 contains Poetry, Comparitive etc, no way did the contents of the entire paper accuratley be leaked. NO student would react to this suprise by remembering everything, they would get all excited and freak out and before they know it the paper is gone.

IMO there was little advantage gained by a small number of students. Not a situation in which such a mess should be created. The exam should have been allowed go ahead tomorrow and the 10 or so students who glimpsed the paper2 will be monitored at correction.

Could you get away with not sitting on saturday? some people have things to do at the weekend.

Cancelling a state exam is not a proportional reaction to 10 or so students getting a slim advantage

I'd say that the chance or risk that if say 10 students saw even one question then they can use their mobiles or the internet to share that 1 question with a lot more people. I'd say that played a part in the reschedule/contingency paper decision.

Not that I agree with it. This Saturday exam now will cause more stress/strain for some people. People who need to organise transport and also, as unpopular as it might be... there could be people working .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This is ridiculous and every Exam center should have the contingency paper there and ready to go just in case something stupid like this happens.
    Except then some numpty would give out the contingency paper by mistake ...
    The exam should have been allowed go ahead tomorrow and the 10 or so students who glimpsed the paper2 will be monitored at correction.

Cancelling a state exam is not a proportional reaction to 10 or so students getting a slim advantage
    Did you not get the point that as soon as the exam was over, the rumours of what was on P II started flying round the country by text and on the 'net?

The students in the original exam hall would only be the start ... EVERY student in the country (and their parents and teachers) would have ended up convinced that THEY got a raw deal, whether or not they had been given hints.

It's messy as it is, but it would have been 20 times messier if it wasn't nipped in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That_Guy wrote: »
    And they would most likely be in close proximity to the examiner too I'd reckon. Surely all of the students didn't get a copy only then for someone to say it was paper 2.

All are on the desks for 9.30. Yup they would have been close enough.

For nybody who disagrees go to www.examinations.ie pick any Higer level english P2 ad give youself 10 seconds to read it all. Then read P1 questions , wait 3 hours and see if you remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i wonder if they've got the moeny to pay to open the schools etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

phasers wrote: »
    In my school the exam papers are kept in the caretaker's room
    :p

I know because I put them there myself last year. They all came together. I stil think the OP is bull though, they're quite well guarded and double checked.

What you put in the caretakers room were boxes of paper all right...to write on...Stationery....as in books of blank paper that you write your answers in AFTER the Exam Papers have come from the Garda Station and after you have hopefully been given the right Exam Paper......unless the supervisor is from Louth!

It's putting things into perspective that there's bigger things than the LC.

Not a very good example TBH:o:(

AFAIR, all papers are given out face down, then the signal is given to turn over ...

So all students in the hall would have had a look, some of them a darn good one by the time they could be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

For nybody who disagrees go to www.examinations.ie pick any Higer level english P2 ad give youself 10 seconds to read it all. Then read P1 questions , wait 3 hours and see if you remember.
    You don't need to read the questions. You just need to know the poets and topics
    In ten seconds you can check:
    1. Poets
    2. Macbeth Question
    3. Comparative Topic

And if you don't believe me I just did it there!

• Advertisement

To be fair cultural context is only two words. I think that's what was said to be on the paper as part of the comparative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's messy as it is, but it would have been 20 times messier if it wasn't nipped in the bud.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

everyone gets a copy face down, then you turn it over.

Also it could have been a large centre and they wouldn't have been insantly collected.

Also no exact questions have been posted only the general heading which would have been easy to spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Black kettle

If you've studied well for English paper 2 then you should be fine. If not then it's your own fault for not doing so.

Basing your study around predictions is the wrong move. Teachers and students can guess until the cows come home but it's always wise for you to back yourself up a bit because there's always twists and turns. Happened with me when I did my LC two years ago. Boy was I glad I didn't go by teachers predictions.

Again if you have studied well for this exam and NOT gone by teacher's predictions and backed yourself up a bit by studying other poets etc then you will be fine. You obviously have opted to study based on predictions so that was your call you made so that's nobody elses fault that you haven't backed yourself up.

Not everybody's maths and Irish papers will be affected if like I've said before, they have studied well. Tomorrow will give people a good chance to revise more maths and Irish if needs be.

I'm not intelligent based on what exactly? Surely can't be the 420 I got in my LC or did I just get lucky?
    Diggy78 wrote: »
    Black Kettle, will you think before you go on a rant and start questioning the intelligence of others. I know that this might seem like something that could never possibly have happened to any one else, oh the injustices felt by a 17 year old!! You are in the same situation as every other year!! You are only competing for college places against everyone else doing the LC this year.
    I had to laugh at the magnified ANYTHING, HOURS and NOTHING comments. Welcome to studying for an exam I guess. The ANYTHING you refer to presumably means the Englisg course, The HOURS I presume are what you should be putting in and well the NOTHING is just nonsense if I have the first two right, or maybe that NOTHING refers to what's between your ears. Still, I bet you'll do well in Drama.

Actually no we are not in the same situation as every other year, fool, this has never happened before.
    The extra stress is ridiculous.
    Excuse me? I have studied my ass off for these exams and for you to come in here calling an lc student stupid basically when they are in the middle of exams is real nice. Not that I'm lacking in self esteem, far from it but that's really pathetic.
    This messes up the whole studying timetable and really I am just extremely pissed right now and what the hell are you doing in here if your not doing the leaving cert this year? No exams, no opinion.

AFAIR, all papers are given out face down, then the signal is given to turn over ...

So all students in the hall would have had a look, some of them a darn good one by the time they could be collected.

Actually you're spot on there.

The only way they could have avoided this is if a couple of people turned their papers over to have a look before all papers were distributed.

Except then some numpty would give out the contingency paper by mistake ...

Did you not get the point that as soon as the exam was over, the rumours of what was on P II started flying round the country by text and on the 'net?

The students in the original exam hall would only be the start ... EVERY student in the country (and their parents and teachers) would have ended up convinced that THEY got a raw deal, whether or not they had been given hints.

I disagree, Id love to see just how accurate the TXTs were. Id guess not very, 18 year olds aint to good at remembering that much infor that quickly.
    A rumour is a rumour, I would have Ignored it TBH. Id have prepared for any eventuality so rumours at such a late stage is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Having given the situation some thought I have decided to study mostly geography tomorrow and then learn some quotes from 2 extra poets and just the general jist of their poems and will give it a lash.

I'm actually past caring about it now.

Actually no we are not in the same situation as every other year, fool, this has never happened before.
    Excuse me? I have studied my ass off for these exams and for you to come in here calling an lc student stupid basically when they are in the middle of exams is real nice. Not that I'm lacking in self esteem, far from it but that's really pathetic.
    This messes up the whole studying timetable and really I am just extremely pissed right now and what the hell are you doing in here if your not doing the leaving cert this year? No exams, no opinion.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's why it's called "free" speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

You might not remember every question word for word but you'd surely be able to remember the names of the 4 poets that came up. Also in the single text section you'd probably be able to remember what important words were in the question.
    e.g. for Macbeth, you'd take note if saw the word "kingship"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭craxsham

can anyone teme what came up in the exam?

• Advertisement

Im of the opinion that its totally the wrong decision to cancel it. Over reaction.

Are people saying that in 10 secs, students had time to realise, then remember accuratley under the pressure of exams. Then
    Do a full paper for 3 hours and remember it all word for word?

IMO if you think that your mental. News reports stated that the papers were lifted immediatley.

Not once have I implied that you're "stupid". In fact you implied that I was not intelligent.

I understand the stress the LC brings but you've a full day (unless you do engineering) to study which should balance your timetable once again if you do it properly.

Just because we're not doing exams doesn't mean that we've no right to be here. We have opinions and are contributing which is within our right to do so. If you don't like it that's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

What you put in the caretakers room were boxes of paper all right...to write on...Stationery....as in books of blank paper that you write your answers in AFTER the Exam Papers have come from the Garda Station and after you have hopefully been given the right Exam Paper......unless the supervisor is from Louth!

No, schools store them in a small room like a caretakers closet. In my school, they're kept in the room next to the elevator which is like the size of a small toilet.

I disagree, Id love to see just how accurate the TXTs were. Id guess not very, 18 year olds aint to good at remembering that much infor that quickly.
    Right, 18 year olds (almost senile, tbh!) wouldn't for example be able to remember, for example, what poets came up on an exam paper they got a sneak preview of?
    I'll say to you what I said to him, leave out the insults.

craxsham wrote: »
    can anyone teme what came up in the exam?

Mate just read back a few million pages.

You might not remember every question word for word but you'd surely be able to remember the names of the 4 poets that came up. Also in the single text section you'd probably be able to remember what important words were in the question.
    e.g. for Macbeth, you'd take note if saw the word "kingship"

of course you might but in all probablility and realisticaly considering the conditions, Id say Not a hope.

there are 8 poets, you study 4 and your sweet. Doesnt matter about the poet its the questions they ask about them.

IMO the contingency paper will be the same poets but different questions on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

We were just handed ours and were allowed to start when we received it.
    Is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I can see that tensions are running somewhat high, and arguing with random strangers online at 1am during your Leaving Cert is not the way to make life easy for yourself. For anyone who's feeling anxious, frustrated or worried: take a deep breath, turn your computer off, have a nice cup of hot chocolate or something, and go to bed.
    Yes, the exam is later on in the week now, but you have to do it sooner or later. You haven't "lost" any time (unless you waste hours online freaking out), you just have to rejig your studying somewhat.

This is a nice way of saying: stop pulling each other's hair.

of course you might but in all probablility and realisticaly considering the conditions, Id say Not a hope.

there are 8 poets, you study 4 and your sweet. Doesnt matter about the poet its the questions they ask about them.

IMO the contingency paper will be the same poets but different questions on them
    Yes but if you know one poet you can drop all the other poets and just study every question on that particular poet, who you know is on the paper. Quite an advantage that is.

• Advertisement

Right, 18 year olds (almost senile, tbh!) wouldn't for example be able to remember, for example, what poets came up on an exam paper they got a sneak preview of?

In 10secs? doubtful.

Even more doubtful after a Paper1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement