Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

kona wrote: »
    Doesnt matter about the poet its the questions they ask about them.

I care to disagree. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We were just handed ours and were allowed to start when we received it.
    Is that wrong?

Honestly I'm not sure. I was in my own separate centre for mine and I was but I'm not sure if that's the same for everyone.

In 10secs?

Who mentioned 10 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes but if you know one poet you can drop all the other poets and just study every question on that particular poet, who you know is on the paper. Quite an advantage that is.

But thats whats done anyways? At this stage...22 hrs before the exam? its not a advantage its just going to **** up a students study plan for the day(the majority who heard through hear say)

Look i bet emily bishop will pop up. There are 2 female poets, ad in the interest of equality a female has always been asked since 2006. since AFAIK rich was asked last year, bishop is a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

In 10secs? doubtful.

Even more doubtful after a Paper1.
    Yes but the adrenaline rush of seeing the paper would make you read faster and plus more than one student saw the paper and together they would remember much more.

• Advertisement

Who mentioned 10 seconds?

News reported papers lifted immediatley, id define. >10secs not immediate.

But thats whats done anyways? At this stage...22 hrs before the exam? its not a advantage its just going to **** up a students study plan for the day(the majority who heard through hear say)

Look i bet emily bishop will pop up. There are 2 female poets, ad in the interest of equality a female has always been asked since 2006. since AFAIK rich was asked last year, bishop is a given.
    Yes if you gamble on one poet but when you know your decision is no longer a gamble but a certainty you have an advantage.

K-Bowie wrote: »
    I'm kinda of annoyed now to see Walcott and Deception came up :( I woulda goten a good results !

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I disagree, Id love to see just how accurate the TXTs were. Id guess not very, 18 year olds aint to good at remembering that much infor that quickly.
    A rumour is a rumour, I would have Ignored it TBH. Id have prepared for any eventuality so rumours at such a late stage is irrelevant.
    Im of the opinion that its totally the wrong decision to cancel it. Over reaction.

Are people saying that in 10 secs, students had time to realise, then remember accuratley under the pressure of exams. Then
    Do a full paper for 3 hours and remember it all word for word?

IMO if you think that your mental. News reports stated that the papers were lifted immediatley.

Just look back through this thread to see what was going to be coming up. The rumour comes up every year and nothing is done, so obviously it was accurate even by the time it reached here and Twitter. Also the fact that it took so long to be reported to me suggests the Super was hoping nothing would come of it, til he or she got caught out at 4 o'clock with details of the paper online.

It more than likely happens with a couple of papers every year, the students are usually just clever enough to keep their mouths shut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In 10secs? doubtful.

Even more doubtful after a Paper1.
    Firstly, where are you getting 10 seconds from?

The reports may have said "immediately" but that is just face-saving ... practically some students had access for at least a full minute, and that's assuming the supervisor reacted immediately (unlikely given the previous events) and sprinted round like Super(wo)man!

And people remember a hell of a lot in situations like that, when they're under stress and the adrenalin is pumping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

there are 8 poets, you study 4 and your sweet.

No you need to study 5 if there's 8.
    What if the 4 you studied were the four that didn't come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

Kournikova wrote: »
    Having given the situation some thought I have decided to study mostly geography tomorrow and then learn some quotes from 2 extra poets and just the general jist of their poems and will give it a lash.

I'm actually past caring about it now.

Ok good idea. Then spend friday evening/night studying english. I know all of this is a shock but in reality it's just a shift in the exam timetable.

Good luck with the geography. One exam at a time. :)

News reported papers lifted immediatley, id define. >10secs not immediate.

The word "immediate" can surely only have been quoted from the exam supervisor himself. He's hardly going to officially report that he waited a few minutes after realising the mistake?

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes but the adrenaline rush of seeing the paper would make you read faster and plus more than one student saw the paper and together they would remember much more.

yes but.

They could be on speed too.

They got **** all info off the paper. The dept should have had the cop on to know this. They should have been able to contain the issue to the school by monitoring the answers from students in the school.

Totally no need to cause such mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

I know I'm probably too late with this now as most of you probably wont be back here in the morning.

If the back up paper were the exact opposite of the leaked paper, then handing that out would be just as bad, coz everyone would still know what's coming up, so there's gotta be similarities between both papers. Basically, I think people are freaking out just a little to much. Cover another poet or 2, just in case, but really I'd say you wouldn't need to.

For all we know backup papers have been used in the past, but it was just kept quite, and the only reason this was made public was due to the rescheduling.

Oh, and one last thing, good luck

Anyway ladies and gents. I'm off to bed. Up early in the morning.

To those doing the LC, I know it's a confusing situation to be in but you, like every other student sitting the exams have to persevere with it.

Just don't waste any of your time tomorrow.

I wish you all the best of luck in the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 a x e 15

Right, 18 year olds (almost senile, tbh!) wouldn't for example be able to remember, for example, what poets came up on an exam paper they got a sneak preview of?

I'll say to you what I said to him, leave out the insults.

look dont mean to be big headed but i have photogarphic memory
    its the only thing thats gotten me through school so easly ... im hoping it will get me through college (criminal profiling go me) but tbh i reckon that 10 sec for someone like me is all it takes .... like i can remember almost half of R & J from J.C as in i can recite word for word ... ( yes im a freak ) so whos to say that theres not some one like me who was in that room lookin at that exam ...

The word "immediate" can surely only have been quoted from the exam supervisor himself. He's hardly going to officially report that he waited a few minutes after realising the mistake?

Im going on the facts that are given,you can make up stuff if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As far as remembering what's on the paper goes: if you're someone who reads the paper before hand, you'd probably have something like this:
    Filled with aprehension and adrenaline, you open the paper.
    You notice there isn't a "theme" where there should be and you become concerned.
    You flick through the pages and notice distinctly paper-2-like qualities.
    For a terrified moment you ask yourself: "Have they changed paper 1? Is this the wrong day? Did I sleep for an entire day? Oh no!"
    You either panic and freeze in terror/put your hand up, or you remain collected long enough to read the front of the paper.
    You then notice a mistake has been made.
    You are now filled with a terrible excitement and confusion. If you can keep yourself together, you flick back through the paper, trying to take in all the questions before anyone notices.

The issue that remains now is; if you get through these steps before the paper is taken away. If you've reached the final stage before the paper is gone, I would say you definitely remember it: how could anyone forget such an unusual occurrance, and a dream come true to some... Even if you don't remember the specific wording of the question, you would undoubtedly remember the emotions that come when you see the poets you studied/didn't study, and emotions are not easy to forget. Even if the paper IS taken away early, you might take in some on your initial leafing-through. Paper 2 isn't particularly long, and the topics are obvious enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

What is with all the pages in this thread rambling on about how long the students seen the paper? How the students leaked the info? How the students should have kept their mouth shut blah blah blah...

It doesn't matter if only three students seen the paper or 100 students - or if they leaked the papers contents or not... once it happened the superintendant is obliged to inform the SEC. End of

• Advertisement

No you need to study 5 if there's 8.
    What if the 4 you studied were the four that didn't come up?

you are correct.:o

yes but.

They got **** all info off the paper. The dept should have had the cop on to know this. They should have been able to contain the issue to the school by monitoring the answers from students in the school.

But they still would have told other students across the country and unless every student across the country knew exactly what the students who saw the paper knew an unfair advantage would exist.

Im going on the facts that are given,you can make up stuff if you want.

Surely the news report can only be factual if the information was cited directly from the supervisor report?

yes but.

Ok, look folks!!

Kona obviously knows better than the Department, the SEC, or indeed the other teachers, examiners, supervisors and students who have posted in this thread.

So can we wish him / her well in her new post as Education Supremo, and turn our attention elsewhere?

Like to bed maybe, for some of you? :P :D

a x e 15 wrote: »
    look dont mean to be big headed but i have photogarphic memory
    its the only thing thats gotten me through school so easly ... im hoping it will get me through college (criminal profiling go me) but tbh i reckon that 10 sec for someone like me is all it takes .... like i can remember almost half of R & J from J.C as in i can recite word for word ... ( yes im a freak ) so whos to say that theres not some one like me who was in that room lookin at that exam ...

Yeah but how many students, especially in Louth (sorry couldn't resist) would have photographic memories? Not a lot I would imagine that's why they would look at headings i.e Patrick Kavanagh, John Montague, Cultural Context.

Things like that. It doesn't take someone with a photographic memory to remember things like that.

Surely the news report can only be factual if the information was cited directly from the supervisor report?

[PontiusPilate] Truth? What is truth?! [/PontiusPilate]

Slightly OT: I had a gf who used to say things like "I'll be over immediately!"

4 hours later ... :rolleyes:

Ok, look folks!!

Kona obviously knows better than the Department, the SEC, or indeed the other teachers, examiners, supervisors and students who have posted in this thread.

So can we wish him / her well in her new post as Education Supremo, and turn our attention elsewhere?

Like to bed maybe, for some of you? :P :D

Oh look students its your mammy telling you its bedtime:rolleyes:

Id like to think id have handled it better than the dept. This is a disgrace and its embarrasing.

How can you claim to be correct, Its my opinion and im entitled to it.

and the report said.....
    Not a chance the Paper 2 was left out on show for more than 10secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 a x e 15

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah but how many students, especially in Louth (sorry couldn't resist) would have photographic memories? Not a lot I would imagine that's why they would look at headings i.e Patrick Kavanagh, John Montague, Cultural Context.

Things like that. It doesn't take someone with a photographic memory to remember things like that.

you make a very good point ....lol ...louth ... lol
    im not sure the exact figures but i was told by my doctor a few years back that the chances of being born wit photo mem is like 1 in 400,000 or something ...(ps this was bout 4-5 years ago and i aint seen the true figures just a docters word to go on) so i dout one of the like 10 that saw the exam have photo mem and cummon LOUTH ......ROFLMAO:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

and the report said.....
    Not a chance the Paper 2 was left out on show for more than 10secs.
    Time between "You may now start the exam" and every single paper being back in the hands of the invigilators = siginificantly more than 10 seconds, unless there's only 1 student in the centre, which I do not believe was the case. It can take a few minutes to gather all the papers, which is PLENTY of time for any student with copon to ferociously read and attempt to memorise the paper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement