Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Wouldn't it be hilarious now if someone handed out Paper 2 in Maths in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

blue-army wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be hilarious now if someone handed out Paper 2 in Maths in the morning. :)
    It would be very difficult to get much information out of it though. Just perhaps proofs and the option question. Otherwise you would have little advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

This post has been deleted.

If they had kept their mouths shut and not told people I wouldn't have minded.
    I suppose I wouldn't have known actually.
    All I would have known is what I hoped would come up, did come up, and I would have been happy.
    Like max. 30 students saw it, if they could have kept their mouths shut that wouldn't have made a huge difference to anything.
    Now while english will probably be fine because I've revised thouroughly, my plans to study french on friday evening are scrapped. This mean I'll have to study it the night before french and history, most likely affecting my grades in both those subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Well all in all they want to keep that stupid "Grade curve" in subjects Which is retarded but ya same amount of grades all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

blue-army wrote: »

If they hand out the contingency English Paper 2 tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

1) We should know the course anyways? We didn;t know what was coming up today like we wont on Saturday??

2) We don't miss out on any study time as we had this morning to study instead of Saturday.. Study now what you would have on Saturday.

3) Yet again, Your fault for not studying.

4)Most people dont want a day off??? My exams were runnin everyday for a week.. Im getting more done with this day off.. Just popped on for a break

5)You're 5th point is stupid? A day off doesn't mess the whole leaving cert up

6)Its not really stress nobody knew what was gonna come up anyways. If you're so stressed get off the internet and study?

*thinks* i wonder what happened to that examinator who gave out the wrong paper?
    Knowing Ireland she/he is proberly still supervising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Mr.S wrote: »
    What was predicted pritty much came up on the paper though.

But theres nothing to say it wont be the same on the backup.

At the end of the day, you can't change it. The papers on Saturday, just deal with it and study. I bet once you finish paper 2 on saturday, you'll be laughing at the fuss you made.

I honestly really hope i'm back on this thread apologising for making a big deal of it :p But ya, just had to vent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lipi

Leave them alone you miseries and show some empathy.:(

I did my leaving in 1997 and am on this site to get some help for my little sister who got stressed for the first time during this process when she got the news last night. It's an awful thing to happen as it's only the start of the exams and they are trying to settle down.

So don't criticise them as you're not in their shoes today and simply don't understand! Whatever exam technique they have is their business and it really is pretty sad to sit in judgment.

Good luck everyone and get back to studying your other subjects. Whatever paper you get will be fair and you're all in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 debz_x

"Just heard that The SEC have informed examiner not to mark critically because of the change.
    Also, the material on both papers will be the same, just phrased differently.
    The differences aren't major"

A text I just received...Lets see how long it takes for that one to get around the country ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Ok, the amount of people saying "whats the big deal, so its 48 hours later, stop complaining".....there is SO much more than that.

Not really.

It's just the leaving cert. Take the advice from the above poster.

There's no point wallowing in self pity and looking for sympathy from others. You have more important things to work on now.

Just study your a$s off and do the damn exam.
    In under 12 months you'll no longer care about this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Just keep looking over what you had learnt for today, chances are it will come up again on Saturday. Look over 1 or 2 different poets if your worried.

Not really too bothered bout english, more the irish cramming session. But ya, thanks :)

I got that same message, but i don't believe it. As i already said the SEC have that "grading curve" and a little slip up with the handling of the papers isn't going to change that. If we all do brilliantly we get marked hard, if we all do bad we get marked easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gorgeous_george

Anyway, is there anyone on here who goes to St Olivers and was there when it happened??
    It'd be interesting to know how long the students actually had the papers in front of them for - like clearly if they had time to look through the whole paper, they were not collected "immediately" (RTE) :confused:
    Ha and that poor supervisor - he must have been white as a sheet :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Frolick wrote: »
    Come on Montague or Longley!

My thoughts exactly! I've covered both of them so here's hoping.

Comparative is fine, I've done 2 out of 3.

But Macbeth?? I'd covered Deception! :(

Can't afford to do English today as need to do Irish & Biology because that time has been taken from me on tomorrow & Sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

"4) Most people don't want a day off today. The last few weeks has been nothing but expectation, then finally we've got into the swing of things, to have it suddenly broken up like this."- This is what bothers me the most,not the chance of the poets being different. I am very particular about timetables being set and I need to have my work and leisure times in blocks. There are people with OCD and other conditions who might get distressed about the change,or just people like me who need stability and order!
    I know everyones angry and I hope we all get what we want in paper 2,but I feel a little bad for the superintendant in Louth who now has the guts of 50,000 students baying for his blood. He mustn't feel very good right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Kiara. wrote: »
    1) We should know the course anyways? We didn;t know what was coming up today like we wont on Saturday??

We should indeed know the course, but we are the first year who will have no predictions going in on the exam. Call having some predictions a pointless advatage but its still an advatage nonetheless

2) We don't miss out on any study time as we had this morning to study instead of Saturday.. Study now what you would have on Saturday.

3) Yet again, Your fault for not studying.

How is that her fault? She had a specific idea of what to study when based on the timetable but that was cocked up by someones blundering

4)Most people dont want a day off??? My exams were runnin everyday for a week.. Im getting more done with this day off.. Just popped on for a break

5)You're 5th point is stupid? A day off doesn't mess the whole leaving cert up
    It messed people up to the extent everyone was ready to get english done and dusted but that all that peotry crap in ours head still needs to be retained.

6)Its not really stress nobody knew what was gonna come up anyways. If you're so stressed get off the internet and study?

Yeh cause studying releases so much strees doesn't it:rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is this rescheduling has messed up the vast majority of us, even if it is just for inconvience sake. I now have to cover all of maths and geog today, and then after doing those exams that night I have to cover the english course AGAIN! If that isn't an inconvience I don't know what is

Fad wrote: »
    If they hand out the contingency English Paper 2 tomorrow :D

HAHAHA that would be so funny! Especially after all of this stress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

.......This is terrible......I don't know what to do......stupid louth.......blah blah blah.......

Off topic question, how many pages are in those booklets, I didn't think about counting mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its been reported that he is now suspended.

If he had of just rang the sec in the first place, we would all have a lovely english paper done now!!

There woulda been time to get out the contingency one, or they could have kept the class in lockdown!!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eykfmheyqlsn/rss2/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

1) For anyone depending on english, needing high points, this paper could be completely different to the original, predicted one. And dont say we should have learned 5 poets to cover our arses, to learn them all in depth is near impossible with all the other work we have to do.

Anyone depending on English for high points shouldn't be banking on predictions on what is supposed to be an unpredictable exam. I gambled 2 years ago, and it paid off. I learned 2 poets and only Plath came up, which I didn't see at first, and felt horrible until I got to that section and read it again.
    2) For those who are not depending on english for points, but are for say maths and irish, there is now 3 hours and 20 minutes of english on saturday morning, which would otherwise have been dedicated to studying.

3 hours and 20 minutes you had this morning. Over the course of 21 months, that amount of time is miniscule.
    3) At 1.00 today, i was planning on being completely finished with english, and able to study for maths tomorrow. Now i have poetry and macbeth hanging over me. As for those who have geography tomorrow...

Tough? I mean, you now get a whole day for Maths 1.
    4) Most people don't want a day off today. The last few weeks has been nothing but expectation, then finally we've got into the swing of things, to have it suddenly broken up like this.

I think you'll find that most, including my sister, are perfectle happy with a day off.
    5) We've gone from having 3 days exams, 2 days study, then a heavy day of irish/maths on monday, to having 4 days of the leaving cert, 1 day off and straight into a full week.

Still nothing compared to the pre-2008 leaving where a lot of us clocked up ~22 hours by the end of the Monday. For the record, most people now have 1 day of exams, 1 day off, 2days of exams, 1 day off.
    6) Having something like this changed at such short notice is adding on a certain amount of stress to everyone, whether they are bothered about the actual english paper or not. We thought we'd got over the initial hurdle of the first day of the exams, till we had the horror that was last night, and the "is it/isnt it" worry all evening.

Stop thinking about it. Continue preparing as normal. It changes nothing, and you're crying over spilt milk. I know a few LCers, and barring a couple of them, there were no hysterics. Everyone just took note, and adjusted accordingly. I remember when I did the LC, there was quite some talk of a leaked Physics paper, which had a number of us in the "is it/isn't it" state. But we couldn't let that affect us.

What's done is done. It's not unfair as everyone is facing into the same situation. It's unfortunate, sure, but in the grand scheme, it's not more than a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Jade182 wrote: »
    "4) Most people don't want a day off today. The last few weeks has been nothing but expectation, then finally we've got into the swing of things, to have it suddenly broken up like this."- This is what bothers me the most,not the chance of the poets being different. I am very particular about timetables being set and I need to have my work and leisure times in blocks. There are people with OCD and other conditions who might get distressed about the change,or just people like me who need stability and order!
    I know everyones angry and I hope we all get what we want in paper 2,but I feel a little bad for the superintendant in Louth who now has the guts of 50,000 students baying for his blood. He mustn't feel very good right now :(

I agree! my study plan has been made since may and its really hard to change it all around this late!

I dont feel at all sorry for the superintendant. There are two main aspects to his job, hand out the paper and make sure no one cheats. He failed spectacularily at both of these tasks, causing further stress to 50,000 already stressed people. he deserves whatever he gets....well unless someone shoots him or something. that'd be a bit strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Anne-Marie I completely agree with your points.

Before anyone starts telling me to study I'm on my lunch break.

My timetable read:
    Thurs - Eng 2, then study biology and bitta french & maths
    Fri - Maths 1, then study some biology & irish, evening off
    Sat & Sun - study

It now reads:
    Thurs - study biology, irish, bitta maths
    Fri - maths 1, study for eng 2
    Sat - eng 2, study for irish & if time biology
    Sun - dedicated to irish

I've had to cut out french revision because I simply wont have the time. I'm grateful I do ordinary maths but it has a much more severe knock-on affect for students who are doing higher maths and also geography.

Body clocks are affected also. Students are entering into a week of exams next week and there is not much time to recover and study affectively that will be of benefit.

Wait, did a question on Banquo come up?
    If so, i'll be pissed, i studied my arse off for that

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

debz_x wrote: »
    "Just heard that The SEC have informed examiner not to mark critically because of the change.

A text I just received...Lets see how long it takes for that one to get around the country ;)
    just got it, im in tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gorgeous_george

timmywex wrote: »
    Its been reported that he is now suspended.

haha really?! i heard people saying that they shouldn't have allowed an older person to do it! But if it was a young teacher they'd blame lack of experience !!

at first i felt a little sorry for the superintendant but ive just read the news articles and they all seem to say that he knew he made a mistake bu chose not to tell anyone...that seems kinda strange for a professional to do...he was probaly just tryin to cover himself and didnt realise how pleased as punch teenagers would be to be able to help their friends out via internet with the tests! Hehe,well at least everyone seems to be calming down a little. By Sunday I'm sure we'll all be laughing. I've heard from various people(oldies and youngsters) that continguency exams are usually quite similar in content. It may involve the change of one poet or just the rephrasing of the questions so I'm sure we'll be fine.Even if its totally different,we are all intelligent individuals,so I'm sure we'll do well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

(i mean wtf, what kind of student tells their parents that, and then lets them call up the school, COMPLAINING, that their child saw a paper? .

An honest one ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Denzillacey

debz_x wrote: »

I don't believe this is true...According to the State Examination's Commission Press Release it says:
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    This is a deferred sitting of the Leaving Certificate English examination. The paper will be marked in accordance with the established standard.

and
    All of our examination papers, including our alternative papers, are prepared in accordance with our published principles and protocols. The SEC would like to assure candidates that the alternative paper is of an equivalent standard to the paper that was withdrawn [/FONT][/FONT]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement