Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

Numerous posters on www.allhonours.ie are claiming to have called the helpline and been told that the poets will remain the same with different questions. Take it for what you feel it is worth, if numerous people on this forum can confrim this I will believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Jade182 wrote: »
    .Even if its totally different,we are all intelligent individuals,so I'm sure we'll do well. :)

Thanks!
    But if its completly different I'm ****ed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 artemus

Ogham wrote: »
    An honest one ?
    thats not honesty....its just plain stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Irish is a broader course and needs more work. I'm good at irish so I've left the polishing off for this week-end. Have done the learning for paper2 but paper1 needs attention.

I've done more continuous work for french so it will a night before job. As the exam timetable is Irish1 on Mon afternoon, it leaves little time for going over Irish2 for Tues morn. I have all Tues afternoon to go over French.

It all has a knock-on effect on revision and performance during exams in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Mr.S wrote: »
    I can see where the guy was coming from, i mean if the students had just not told their parents (i mean wtf, what kind of student tells their parents that, and then lets them call up the school, COMPLAINING, that their child saw a paper? Wheres the logic in that) Then we'd have already finished paper 2 on the original paper.

Yeah,I guess you're right. I would tell my mam if that happened but she would have just been like "Cool! I'm delighted for you!".I don't know why the parents complained to be honest. Maybe the guy that everyone is badmouthing so much was actually trying to look out for us in the end...
    Anyways,we should all be grand on Saturday.We'll think of something in the end.I need English for a huge proportion of points and I'm a little anxious about Saturday but I'm going to spend today studying maths to improve that grade,and then tomorow night I'll get stuck into te English again...for awhile there I felt really frazzled. I really don't like it when routine gets mixed around!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Does anyone know what the EXACT questions were? Any links?

Ogham wrote: »
    An honest one ?

A selfish one more like, everybody would have been thrilled if the original paper II had come up, yet this kid, in a moment of baffling self-righteousness, decided that telling his parents would make the whole thing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eze

To quote Macbeth: "So foul and fair a day I have not seen" However "what's done is done {and} what's done cannot be undone" Discuss with reference to the Paper 2 fiasco.

(50marks)

Does anyone know what the EXACT questions were? Any links?

No links obviously, but I have heard from numerous sources that the questions were as follows

Poetry: Keats, Bishop, Longley and Walcott all came up.
    Macbeth: Theme of deception and Banquo was the character question.
    Comparative: Cultural context and I haven't heard what the other one was.

It would have been a delish paper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Dumbledore wrote: »
    No links obviously, but I have heard from numerous sources that the questions were as follows

Poetry: Keats, Bishop, Longley and Walcott all came up.
    Macbeth: Theme of deception and Banquo was the character question.
    Comparative: Cultural context and I haven't heard what the other one was.

It would have been a delish paper anyway.

2nd comparative was general vision & viewpoint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Casok

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah, but its a pritty stupid thing to do if you think about it.

These people who rang up/told their parents are probally pissed off now that its on Saturday :rolleyes:

Anyone else care to imagine how we'd feel if we had sat the paper, written A answers and then been told that the exam had been "compromised"??

The students would obviously still have put it on the internet and sooner or later the SEC would have found out! What do you think would have happened then?

The SI is the only person to blame in this situation, anyone who tries to cover themselves at the expense of 50,000 teenagers deserves no sympathy whatsoever.

As for studying, we all have to cope with the same f*ck-up so there's no point in complaining about it, we just have to get on with it and do the exam ... I wonder if they'll ever release the name of that super ...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

well we all have the poets that we predicted would come up covered...the hope is that at least one of them will still be on the replacement paper...to be honest i'm not really even worrying about saturday anymore,im so worn out from the anxiety. I was up till just a few hours ago stressing out and I've just decided its not worth it anymore. If i let it bother me anymore,my other exams will suffer. This was a terrible thing to happen to us,especially because we get the double whammy of being the first class to graduate into a recession also,but its over now and the news is already moving away from it.The pieces on it were already short anyway. So lets all just take a deeeeeep breath,exhale and try to focus on kicking the butts of these exams!
    Mexican wave anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Yeh cause studying releases so much strees doesn't it:rolleyes:

Well I don't know about you but i'd rather be studying and preparing for the exam than sitting there doing nothing but stressing about what might now come up.

And I don't know how people are saying it messes up their study plan.. Im not gonna study english, Cos surely it should all be learned off now??

You would have had the exam already, whatever you've studied already, you never knew whether it would come up? Just like you dont know if its going to come up on Sat..

And I love how everyones putting the blame on Louth because they messed up their "dream paper" So let me guess if the predictions had not of come up would it be your teachers and Jim Lusbys fault for predicting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnnyraw

main thing is to not stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Casok

Dumbledore wrote: »
    A selfish one more like, everybody would have been thrilled if the original paper II had come up, yet this kid, in a moment of baffling self-righteousness, decided that telling his parents would make the whole thing better.

See my previous post, why does nobody realise this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I'm pretty skeptical trusting the people who 'rang up' at allhonours.ie, since, well, did any of you ever see the way they type?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I heard that the SEC will be narrowing it down on the news tonight. Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Gawd, listening to people whining on Joe Duffy, it's painful..... Should've, would've, could've.....

This feck-up is going to high-light the difference between the students who can handle stressful situations and get on with it and those who can't. Advice; keep the head, stop blaming other people and focusing on the negative and just keep on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Gawd, listening to people whining on Joe Duffy, it's painful..... Should've, would've, could've.....

This feck-up is going to high-light the difference between the students who can handle stressful situations and get on with it and those who can't. Advice; keep the head, stop blaming other people and focusing on the negative and just keep on going.

guess who isnt doing their leaving cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mitzie

we all need 2 remember, everybody is in the same boat... everybody cut corners in terms of poetry like!! they r going 2 hav 2 mark reletivly easy now which could work in our favour and maybe it will be a beautiful paper similar 2 the original!!!! we need 2 think positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Joe duffy is having a field day!!

Its ******* hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

i was one of the whingers last night.. because it was a deadly paper

Butttt...

my friends aunt is a teacher and she rang up the principal of the school she works in to find out about the contingecy papers and the principal said they only vary very slightly, like it may be same poets different questions or something, you know? (im not 100% but im fairly sure)

so i duno about you guys but im just gonna stay focused on the stuff i was always focusing on and just hope for the best!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Unlucky LCers its a balls to have to sit the exam on a day you thought was free, although the snotty feck on Joe Duffy giving out makes me chortle.

If you guys really think the new paper is going to be the same you are dreaming, i assume they are using the reserve paper that was printed at the same time as original exam. If they really were going to ask the same questions then why bother cancelling the original:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

timmywex wrote: »
    Joe duffy is having a field day!!

Its ******* hilarious!!

Listening to it myself. Remember,its gonna be sensationalist,so don't let it freak ye out. :)

Lol at this old guy? Was he only going to sit English and then jet off to Portugal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Is the program on right now yeah?

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ click the listen now, I think its nearly over though. It will be podcasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

People - stop worrying so much.

The poets are not guaranteed to change. In fact, to avoid disrupting people too much (or their predictions) they will most likely not change poets, and only change the questions on the poet(s).

As for Macbeth, let's face it, if you know the story and you have a fair few quotes, as an Honours English student you should be able to write an essay even without knowing the exact question in advance. If your English skills rely on learning off essays made up from notes you've taken from random books, you aren't a good English student and you shouldn't be in Honours.

The comparative is much the same, tbh I never prepared a comparative question prior to the Mocks and came out with a very high grade in that question purely from knowing the general stories, themes and a few (emphasis on few) quotes.

All in all, remember you are not being marked entirely on what you can bank up and regurgitate on the page on any given day, you're being marked for your English. It's your own personal views, opinions and criticisms or praise being articulated that they are looking for.

I am by no means saying that it is tolerable that such a slip-up occured. It is ridiculous that in this day and age such an error occured and then hurriedly covered up only to be exposed by a student. I think it's a dark day when such an important exam was going to be undermined by some superintendent and his attempts to save face.

Calm down, relax for a bit and revise what you have ready. Learn your key quotes, key moments and all the other bits and pieces. What will really get you the marks is how you put them into your essay and how you explain and show your understanding of each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Is the program on right now yeah?

Yes,on for another 30mins afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

Should have been the following Saturday, this is ridiculous.

At least our papers will be marked easy as f**k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement