Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Leaked- Keep All Discussion to this thread- DUPLICATE THREADS LOCKED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

awhir wrote: »
    yep one of them was on that 2fm show yesterday evening , she staying with the rabi for the day , lets hope there nothing like our priests :D

The girl I know is going to her Rabbi's house, he has 8 kids.

Rabbis are gettin some!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I honestly didnt mean any reference to the christian brothers thing if thats what you're thinking. Im implying that theres no way our religion would be taken as seriously.

Yeah. I don't go to mass myself but would even really devout Catholics rest on Sunday? Like not go shopping or do "work".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Any tips for OL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

That_Guy wrote: »
    Blown out of proportion or what? He didn't fcuk up your entire LC. It's one paper out of many. Just go and study for your exam tomorrow and be done with it.

he didn't **** up my entire leaving cert. I meant like he'd feel awful and he'd feel like he ****ed up the entire leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

Ok so with around 10 hours to go, what are the final predictions for the new paper 2? I'm praying for Longley, Cultural Context and either an imagery or deception essay in Macbeth.
    Maybe I should become Jewish suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

sarah+1 wrote: »
    Ok so with around 10 hours to go, what are the final predictions for the new paper 2? I'm praying for Longley, Cultural Context and either an imagery or deception essay in Macbeth.
    Maybe I should become Jewish suddenly.

We all had a really good stress-relieving laugh today at lunch; just making random jokes like.

"Hey I'm Jewish can't sit the exam today see you next Sunday or something kay bye"
    "Wait up how do we know you're Jewish dude?"
    "I'm circumcised, look I'll show yo--"
    "WOAH, WOAH DUDE CHILL FCK OK UM RIGHT YEAH KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH BRO TTYL"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

ALincoln wrote: »
    Ok, just an obseravtion based on some things I have read here. There is no point in blaming people from Louth, especially the students. It is not their fault that the paper was leaked to them - they certainly didn't ask for this to happen. The paper would have been cancelled regardless of whether they spread the word - from the moment the wrong paper was distributed, this exam was technically up for nullification. Regarding the supervisor - more diligent scrutiny of the paper would have been advisable, but when the error occured, he had no choice but to follow protocol. So for doing so, it's both pointless and wrong to hold him culpable.

This is an unfortunate situation, both for people who have only covered a limited number of poets, and people who covered the breadth of the course but need to use the weekend to prepare for other subjects. The only advice that can be given is that the contingency paper will probably cover the same topics, albeit from a slightly different angle.

So lads; hold it down, be smart with revision and don't lose your heads, either to panic or to fire the blame at somebody else.

what do u mean he had to follow protocol? the guy didn't even report it! if he reported it when it happened instead of waiting for 7 hours until a parent rings the school to complain and the school tells the department then maybe we could have had our paper on Thursday... he was clearly trying to save his own ass. And i witnesses a bag of papers being opened today. you cant miss the big writing! and he's supposed to be a maths teacher? its a shame he cant tell the different between 1 and 2!

Claypigeon wrote: »
    We all had a really good stress-relieving laugh today at lunch; just making random jokes like.

"Hey I'm Jewish can't sit the exam today see you next Sunday or something kay bye"
    "Wait up how do we know you're Jewish dude?"
    "I'm circumcised, look I'll show yo--"
    "WOAH, WOAH DUDE CHILL FCK OK UM RIGHT YEAH KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH BRO TTYL"

Yeah we did the same, except there was a bit of controversy surrounding the use of the word "quarantined" in relation to the Jewish community. Seems a bit backward really?

It's only quoting what a Jewish man said himself on the radio - it's all in jest and no-one was being offended by it - what harm.

It's only quoting what a Jewish man said himself on the radio - it's all in jest and no-one was being offended by it - what harm.
    Oh I know, what I said was meant to be in jest too. Maybe my sense of humour is being over shadowed by my overwhelming stress. Trying to learn a poet in an hour does not work!

• Advertisement

sarah+1 wrote: »
    Oh I know, what I said was meant to be in jest too. Maybe my sense of humour is being over shadowed by my overwhelming stress. Trying to learn a poet in an hour does not work!

You don't learn the poet - you have an idea of the poems just from even having seen them a few times - learn quotes, make statements, explain them, back them up, repeat. You'll get it done no bother. Don't be worrying and joining the hoardes of lunatics that are around at this busy time o' the year!

You don't learn the poet - you have an idea of the poems just from even having seen them a few times - learn quotes, make statements, explain them, back them up, repeat.

Thats exactly how I do it. Learn the basic ideas of the poet and then link in a few of his styles and what not. Its not as hard as you may think it is.

You don't learn the poet - you have an idea of the poems just from even having seen them a few times - learn quotes, make statements, explain them, back them up, repeat. You'll get it done no bother. Don't be worrying and joining the hoardes of lunatics that are around at this busy time o' the year!
    Everyone else is freaking out so I feel like I should. Maybe I can see the future, I have a clear vision of me opening the paper and seeing Longley, deception and Cultural Context.
    Be thinking of me tomorrow if my vision doesn't come true.

Thats exactly how I do it. Learn the basic ideas of the poet and then link in a few of his styles and what not. Its not as hard as you may think it is.
    I have a few quotes from Montague and Bishop too I think.
    I just hope I don't do what I did in my 5th year tests and call Elizabeth Bishop "Emily".

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Saw lots of Junior Certs on the tiles tonight,hangin' loose,releasing pent up tension and stress.No quarantine for them .They've got beer fever.Best of luck tomorrow L.C.folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭claudtreacy

if your doing the exam tomorrow guys, and your planning on studying more..
    id recommend going to bed now and getting up early, rather than studying now and sleeping in..
    best of luck! if what you've planned hasnt come up, take a deep breath, and start listing possible solutions for the questions asked..:)
    xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

what do u mean he had to follow protocol? the guy didn't even report it! if he reported it when it happened instead of waiting for 7 hours until a parent rings the school to complain and the school tells the department then maybe we could have had our paper on Thursday... he was clearly trying to save his own ass. And i witnesses a bag of papers being opened today. you cant miss the big writing! and he's supposed to be a maths teacher? its a shame he cant tell the different between 1 and 2!

Obviously that post was made in the immediate aftermath of the incident, at a time when all the relevant facts were not known to the public.

In any case, I think that this is now a matter to be dealt by an official investigation. The paper must be sat, and with less than 12 hours left before its commencement, you would be better served by concentrating on course material than engaging in arguments about how the situation unfolded - this will not alter reality.

Poetry from what I've read is 12% of the overall mark (the prescribed stuff). So even if you do really badly it's still only 5-6% odd percent you've lost out on - not gradebreaking stuff if you're sound elsewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

On the subject of the Sabbath etc. My cousin went to Kuwait to work for a number of years. While there, she had to respect the traditions of the country. Even though she was (and is) Catholic, she had to respect the fact that her colleagues were observing Ramadan. She did not have the opportunity of practising her religion and had accept the fact that she was not living in a country that was a predominantly Catholic country. By making the choice to live and work there, it was part of the compromise she had to make.
    I am a very inclusive person. It just makes me wonder though, that seeing as this is a predominantly Catholic country, what is this about minority religions in this country, expecting special treatment, when that is certainly NOT something afforded to Catholics in other countries that are NOT predominantly Catholic??

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

I honestly feel that this is a very fair question. Perhaps those of us who are Catholic should be more forceful and standing up for our rights in other countries as some minority groups seem to think is their right in this country. Once again, I stress that I believe in an inclusive society but I also believe, ' When in Rome do as the Romans do.' and 'You can't have the tail wagging the dog.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yes do as the Romans do but also have compassion and understanding for other religions and ways of life.
    But this is not the place to discuss the treatment of minorities in other countries, ours or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Geog wrote: »
    I honestly feel that this is a very fair question. Perhaps those of us who are Catholic should be more forceful and standing up for our rights in other countries as some minority groups seem to think is their right in this country. Once again, I stress that I believe in an inclusive society but I also believe, ' When in Rome do as the Romans do.' and 'You can't have the tail wagging the dog.'

What do you think our rights in other countries should be, This is not really a catholic country anymore. How many people go to church on sundays or follow the bible anymore? You expect us to be respected it in other countries when we don't follow it in our own:confused:

Really, if; it's a sabbath day for 10 students and they had to "quarantined" for 2 days, i wouldn't call that special treatment, i'd call it faith though. I doubt many irish students would be bothered about taking an exam on a sunday, the day of "rest"

The issue should lie with the superintendant who made the mistake in the first place, not a few innocent students who happen to be of a diiferent faith,

Sorry for going off topic but had to say it. Good luck tomorrow guys, including my sister :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

just makes me wonder though, that seeing as this is a predominantly Catholic country ...
    Is it? ... on paper, perhaps, and for births, marriages and funerals, but otherwise I think an awful lot of people don't follow the practices of any particular faith very religiously (:pac:), whether or not they actually believe in God.

Certainly, I doubt too many 17-18 year olds would have a crisis of conscience about missing mass in these circumstances. But for Orthodox Jews (those who follow the stricter observance) this IS actually a big deal.
    ... what is this about minority religions in this country, expecting special treatment, when that is certainly NOT something afforded to Catholics in other countries that are NOT predominantly Catholic??
    This state recognises freedom of religion, and respect for other religions, as a core tenet of its civic philosophy in a way that many other states do not. That to my mind is a mark of a civilised community. It's not all about expectation, there is an openness to meeting such needs under certain circumstances.

Yes, we also have our own baggage ... lord but we've seen that over the last few weeks ... but we still have it a lot better than some countries when it comes to freedom of expression, of religion, of movement, of assembly, of a whole lot of things which are problematic in many regimes.

And yes, it can also get a bit extreme at times, and you will get certain people jumping up and down about nothing. This is not one of those times, in my view, and a reasonable accomodation has been reached.
    ... as some minority groups seem to think is their right in this country.
    It IS their right in this country, by law and constitution, and long may it continue to be so.

Attack one personal freedom, you undermine them all, and we all eventually suffer.
    star-pants wrote: »
    But this is not the place to discuss the treatment of minorities in other countries, ours or others.
    >_>

Mea culpa!

Soz! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I am a very inclusive person. It just makes me wonder though, that seeing as this is a predominantly Catholic country, what is this about minority religions in this country, expecting special treatment, when that is certainly NOT something afforded to Catholics in other countries that are NOT predominantly Catholic??
    Because we live in a "civilised" country, which means political correctness is a YES and offending religious minorities is a NO, even at the expensive of fairness. I'm sure if people had first communions or confirmations to attend they sure as hell wouldn't be allowed to reschedule.
    I don't mean to offend anyone but I seriously don't think allowances should be made for religions.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I seriously don't think allowances should be made for religions.
    So if you had a Jewish friend coming over to dinner, you would insist on serving ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

So if you had a Jewish friend coming over to dinner, you would insist on serving ham?
    Vegetarian here so that's not really a problem! Anyway, this isn't about food preferences. A group of people getting special treatment on a national scale because of their religious beliefs is not comparable to some not wanting to eat meat because of their beliefs.

A group of people getting special treatment on a national scale because of their religious beliefs is not comparable to some not wanting to eat meat because of their beliefs.
    It's not exactly the same, but it's quite comparable.

Orthodox Jews don't eat ham because they consider it a sin.

Orthodox Jews don't engage in work of any kind on the Sabbath because they consider it a sin.

And honestly, do you want the "special treatment" they're getting?

They have to worry about English II for another day, while everyone else has it behind them.

They can't even study for that day, they have to just fret about it instead.

They do English II, and they then have to face into Monday's exams.

Strikes me they are (voluntarily accepting) the worst of the deal because they believe in something.

Why should that bother anyone else?

Now, if the SEC had said "Oops, sorry, folks ... we forgot about that bit, we're going to have to re-schedule again!" then you would have something to complain about!

In fact, I'd be the first person to say "hey, that's not on!!"

But as it stands it's skin off no-one's nose except theirs. (Karma forgive me, I was SO tempted to make a very bad joke there!!! :o)

OK, more to the point ...

... the finale of this saga is almost in sight!

D minus ~1.5 hours!

Here's wishing you all the very best of luck, on my own behalf and on behalf of the LC mod team (permanent and temporary).

May the paper be everything you could wish for; may your brains seethe with jewels of wisdom; may your pens drip gems of articulate prose onto the paper; may every quote you ever learned spring to the tips of your tongues; may you cause the examiners to faint with your serendipitous use of the English language ...

... in other words, gerrouthere and give it loads!!!

Go, Team Boards!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So... Tired...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Christ am i nervous about this paper. only have cultural context, longley, kingship and Lady Macbeth. I need a B in english

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement