Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbeggan Lakes

Options
  • 03-06-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Rathbeggan lakes are still on the go? I tried calling them earlier and it sounded like the number is no longer in use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

they are but dont have the number off hand:osorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

They are doing airsoft on weekends there, so it's weekday fishing only I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Eventually got thru to them on a mobile number (086 8113259) - I understand that their landline is O.O.O. The fishing ons Saturdays is Pm onwards due to airsoft in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

If your heading there to fly fish i would'nt bother, its gone to crap big time. I went about a month ago and its not a place to go if your a keen angler, rubbish every where rip of prices and crap fishing. :mad: 1/10!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah a few months ago we went out about half 4 or 5 i think and there was only about 2/3 hours light left and the guy wouldnt give us any discount whatsoever. we eventually got a fiver off, but he was insisting on a half day price.

the lake is horrible looking and anyone who keeps what they caught would want to be either mad or starving. or both. also for the last 30 minutes of us being there one of them was flying around on a quad around the whole lake fixing the bins. it was really loud so not really ideal along the lake.

wont be going again ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭ravey

Just to clarify a couple of point here chaps.
    Apologies to those of you who apparently didnt enjoy their recent visits but heres whats really happening here at Rathbeggan.
    We are still open. Our landline is indeed out of order but our alternate number 087 4165851 is live and working. (The NRA are currently building the new N3 quite close so thats basically cut us off phone wise till they complete works.)
    Were open for fishing every day and every evening until about 10.30 or so at the moment except for Saturday and Sunday Mornings when we do play airsoft around the venue.
    If you arrive after 6.30pm you can have an evening ticket for just €15 catch and release.
    I really dont get the "Mad or Starving" comment, as all of our fish are quality farmed fish with good tails and range up to 6 lbs. We stock every week, and we certainly dont have any litter around the place!
    Generally the evenings are the best time anyway, and quieter too.
    Just setting the record straight.
    Remember, experiences differ over the months and i certainly dont think that Rathbeggan has "gone crap" or "rip off prices" ,
    Come along a see for yourself.
    Genuine anglers are always welcome.
    Dave:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Didn't make it down on Saturday in the end as the weather was too bad to take the kids out. Next Saturday is a maybe...;)

Weather looks reasonable for tomorrow. Nice bit of southerly wind due too so conditions should be perfect. Hope we see you.

We didnt close up till around 11.20pm last night and the fishing was brilliant. Grey Duster earlier in the evening worked very well and then a green bodied sedge was the late night favoured snack!
    We are still doing our €15 evening ticket from 6pm onwards so that looks like value. Despite what some people think, the daytime bait fishing has very little effect if any on fish rising to flies later the same day.
    Going to try and update the catch stats a bit more often, so keep an odd eye on the webpage www.rathbegganlakes.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

Fished here yesterday evening from about 6.30 until 10.30pm with my neighbour tried the coarse lake which was well stocked and both of us caught double figures bream and roach .Tried the big lake with no joy seen plenty of guys fly fishing and catching trout.We then tried the smaller pond and we both caught nice sized rainbows.So all in all it was a satisfying couple of hours fishing with friendly staff and i didnt notice any rubbish lying about anywhere!Will definitely fish here again and at eur 15 well worth the entry for 4 hours .

Neonlight wrote: »
    Fished here yesterday evening from about 6.30 until 10.30pm with my neighbour tried the coarse lake which was well stocked and both of us caught double figures bream and roach .Tried the big lake with no joy seen plenty of guys fly fishing and catching trout.We then tried the smaller pond and we both caught nice sized rainbows.So all in all it was a satisfying couple of hours fishing with friendly staff and i didnt notice any rubbish lying about anywhere!Will definitely fish here again and at eur 15 well worth the entry for 4 hours .

Thanks for the comments and its nice to see that most of our visitors enjoy the Rathbeggan Experience. We keep it stocked, tidy and as well managed as we can. After that its between you and the fish!
    See you again soon we hope!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

I have to be honest here, I fished Rathbeggan last year and taught it was a dreadful fishery. I have fished a lot of put and take fisheries both here and in the UK and to me the place was dier. The lake water was very brown despite resonable weather prior to me fishing so there was no chance of a bit of stalking. The bank was mucky with very little vegitation and the fish were to be honest patetic. The kind of thing I'd expect to see in Tesco's (small and finless). We did catch but the place really failed to inspire. I think it is more suited to beginners then experienced well travelled fly fishers, no disrespect to beginners but when you see how well maintained and stocked fisheries are run this place falls well short. I know this is not exactly a glowing reference for the place but I'm simply telling it as I saw it.

Advertisement