Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How accurates do quotes have to be?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Like if you leave out a word or a letter do you not get any or lose marks?im talking about really minor mistakes for exmaple Lady macbeth : "When you durst do it then you were a man"
    If i slip up (obviously not in this quote but another example) and say "When you durst do it then you ARE a man" how strongly is this penalised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I've no idea. But I imagine the examiner is hardly going to have a copy of Macbeth in front of them so you'd probably be fine. Except maybe that particular quote you wrote because the tenses are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

No but for the important ones your examiner might look down on you if he's a massive Macbeth fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Get the words right, down worry about things like "has't" equally has not or whatever. And don't worry about punctuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 happyhappyhappy

Some examiners will be twats
    You should know quotes really well

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Very.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 happyhappyhappy

As well...my friend told me her teacher corrects and would consider your question a fail if you mis-quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fiscalstudent

If Macbeth is the text then you need to be fairly accurate as all the examiners know it inside out. In particular the more famous qoutes need to be accurate as it will be seen as an obvious mistake.

having said that, on the day don't panic if your unsure between 2 similar words, just pick one and go for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rough estimation of quotes to aim for in a Macbeth answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

2 per paragraph i'd say so about 9 or ten. Maybe with a few one or two worders thrown in like "brave Macbeth"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Like if you leave out a word or a letter do you not get any or lose marks?im talking about really minor mistakes for exmaple Lady macbeth : "When you durst do it then you were a man"
    If i slip up (obviously not in this quote but another example) and say "When you durst do it then you ARE a man" how strongly is this penalised?

Depends on the quote, depends how kinda well known or not it is.

The comparative you could throw down anything and get away with it.

And the poetry you could make a slip and get away with it handily enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement