Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hedge - Can I spray weeds only?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 5:11pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    I put down my hedges there about 3 months now. The grass and weeds are growing mad around them, there are 400 hedge plants down so as you can imagine individually weeding around each could be painful! :)

Is there are a weed killer out there that would kill only the weeds and not the plants? I suspect there isn't. :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yop,

When I planted a mixed hedge( whitethorn and field maple), the local farmer told me that I had to stamp down the grasses etc which were engulfing the hedgling, it took ages to do so, he then sprayed them, easier after they were trampled. It was a pain, still doing it now after 3 seasons but not to the same degree or anything like it.

Secman

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oh jesus!! There goes my summer lol!!!!

If it has to be done it will have to be done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

What spray can you use that will kill off grass and weeds but will not affect the hedge if it gets sprayed accidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

At the moment I am strimming the grass from around my hedge plants but it takes ages and has to be done every week!
    I believe you can get a hood for the tip of the sprayers to narrow the field of the spray - so if you use roundup etc which is absorbed through the leaf of the plant/grass you should be able to concentrate on hitting the grass and not the plants.

I havent tried that myself though yet ;)

Advertisement