Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Supplies online

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

coolwings wrote: »
    I don't want to sound corny but buying flies online might be self defeating.
    In this way:
    Calling into the local tackle shop to buy a few flies tends to be a drip feed regular visit. You will (while you are there) get informed about hot flies that are catching fish at that time. Timely information, which is worth much more when it is recently acquired, seeing as the hatches change as the weeks go by. And the LTS guys do get fresh information al the time. They pass it on to regulars who they see as their friends.

Not saying you shouldn't buy flies online. But think about it when the locals seem to catch more than you do.
    I do very much agree with that logic. But personally I'm a bit of an information junkie, so if somebody was to recommend a fly to me I'd need to google it and find out everything I could. If somebody suggests a couple of flies, I'd spend an hour or two reading up from several different sources, comparing, contrasting etc. It would be a hell of a lot easier to just ask in a shop but that's always been the way I've worked with everything. I've also got a pretty poor memory which means I have to keep doing it over and over :) So for the moment buying online suits my quirks, but as I start to get to know more of the flies and types and actually remember them,, so if somebody says to try a dun or a buzzer I won't have to run to google, I'll start transitioning more and more to buying them a shop. Especially if mobile broadband prices come down, so I can look through a shelf of flies with one hand and by searching google with the other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Hi, you should try www.jims.org.uk, or commonly known as jims discount tackle, their based in cornwall, and have a huge range of fishing tackle covering coarse,sea,game etc, also sells hardware, tools etc, even with the exchange rate you ll save money compared to tackle shops here, i have bought loads from them and you ll definitely save money.

Advertisement