Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish referendum on right to citizenship

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

As you know romanians still require work permits to work in IReland if they had not legally resided in Ireland prior to their entry to the union. It would be interesting to see for how long romania keep its citizenship laws in the future if more non eu people locate there.

I'm not sure that's true. Just as every country that entered the EU in 2004 and before, they do not require work permits.

They're now (since Jan 1st, 2007) legally entitled to live and work here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

They do for the first 12 months here - http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/bulgariaromania.htm

After completing 12 months on a work permit, then they are able to work freely. Or at least this is what enterprise, trade and employment are saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

The Irish are VERY like the British whether that suits you or not, we are influenced by them. We watch their TV channels, read their newspapers, we play sport with them collectively. We are by no means poles apart.

Sorry for going off topic, just replying to this one post.

absolute rubbish the Irish are nothing like the british, the british have a long history of colonising nations by force and as such are hated by many nations the Irish do not have this reputation, The Irish nation are distinct and seperate culturaly we have our own distinct Language, music, dance, and sense of community we are poles apart from the brits and please God always will be.

watching a few football games and soaps does not make us the same.

you need to educate yourself and stop this revisionist rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

TomRooney wrote: »
    absolute rubbish the Irish are nothing like the british, the british have a long history of colonising nations by force and as such are hated by many nations the Irish do not have this reputation, The Irish nation are distinct and seperate culturaly we have our own distinct Language, music, dance, and sense of community we are poles apart from the brits and please God always will be.

Depends where you live I guess. Although judging from my mother the places with this 'sense of community'(as in everybody knows everything about you) are not exactly brilliant places to live. Bit stupid the British are 'hated' really, but I do agree that the Irish as a whole are different, individually it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Just to note there is an upcoming test case due to be heard in the High Court on the 15th July in relation to whether the parents of Irish born children can be returned to their home country, taking into account the Constitutional rights of the IBC child and whether there are insurmountable obstacles to the family returning to their home country. Judgment will probably be reserved though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

absolute rubbish the Irish are nothing like the british, the british have a long history of colonising nations by force and as such are hated by many nations the Irish do not have this reputation,

The Irish were a large part of settling those colonised lands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

you dont live in the ireland i know

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

getz wrote: »
    you dont live in the ireland i know

it would seem that you dont know ireland at all.....

we may be *similar* now, on a superficial level (TV, sport, celeb worship etc)

we are nothing alike otherwise

zing zong wrote: »
    it would seem that you dont know ireland at all.....

we may be *similar* now, on a superficial level (TV, sport, celeb worship etc)

we are nothing alike otherwise

That's true, the British have purple and yellow skin and their mouths are on the back of their heads :rolleyes:

The highest number of immigrants in Ireland are the British. To think Irish people are unbelievably different to British people is nonsense. In fact, zing zong, we're all pretty much from the same group of people if you want to go far enough back.

That's true, the British have purple and yellow skin and their mouths are on the back of their heads :rolleyes:

The highest number of immigrants in Ireland are the British. To think Irish people are unbelievably different to British people is nonsense. In fact, zing zong, we're all pretty much from the same group of people if you want to go far enough back.

that group from far enough back, that you mention was pre roman settlement of Britain

alot has happened since

*espeacially* in the last few hundred years, this makes us very different

i dont think i need to spell it out do i?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

for **** sake, stop trying to make it out that all irish people are the exact same and thus have nothing in common with people in another country. i don't think 'we' are like the british or not like the british, their ****ing humans just like us.

**** STUPID NATIONALISM.

zing zong wrote: »
    that group from far enough back, that you mention was pre roman settlement of Britain

alot has happened since

*espeacially* in the last few hundred years, this makes us very different

i dont think i need to spell it out do i?

I really don't understand the ignorance that comes with remembering "the last few hundred years" mentality. Are you immortal? Were you alive during that time? No, you weren't. So stop banging on about it.

Always keep just one eye on the past. Not your full two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

for **** sake, stop trying to make it out that all irish people are the exact same and thus have nothing in common with people in another country. i don't think 'we' are like the british or not like the british, their ****ing humans just like us.

**** STUPID NATIONALISM.

We are the World, We are the chidern etc.

Am I right?

I really don't understand the ignorance that comes with remembering "the last few hundred years" mentality. Are you immortal? Were you alive during that time? No, you weren't. So stop banging on about it.

Always keep just one eye on the past. Not your full two feet.

i haven't "banged on" about anything

no of course i wasnt alive then, nor am i immortal, i mention the past simply because it shapes who we are today, there is no escaping that, it a simple fact.

i get the feeling you may be mistaking my post as some bitter republican rant, maybe you could calmly re-read it?

and as you rightly point out, one eye on the past, not two full feet, i agree 100%
    but just because the masses of both britain and ireland watch big brother with similar enthusiasm, does not mean we are the same

we are both more than fashion, tv, and sport

our history DOES play a part in our out look, our attitudes etc

opo wrote: »
    We are the World, We are the chidern etc.

Am I right?

in an ideal reality, yes

in actual reality , no

but wheres the harm, variety is the spice of life

Advertisement