Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish referendum on right to citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

the exit poll showed people voted for the wrong reason, ie xenophobia

I don't understand. If someone is xenophobic should they not vote in favour of that referendum? Surely if one is xenophobic the should have voted for it.
    OP I sympathise with your situation. I'd like to think your wife would be offered protection due to the fact that she has a child, is married to an Irishman and has lived here a while.
    The problem that was solved was people using loophole to get into the country. Even if you did support an increase in populace there's a right and wrong way to do it and an un-vetted loophole is a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

yep, i'd say pretty much close to that number is in some way xenephobic, strange country we live in, many actually do think we're being overun by immigrants, i mean i had a cousin over who lives in london and if you said dublin was 'multicultural' he'd give you the old roll eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

PaulieD wrote: »
    79% of Irish people voted for this change in the constitution. Now, to dismiss their legitmate concerns over this issue as simple racism is absurd. We live in a democracy, my friend. The people have a right to voice their opinions. If you dont like it try somewhere else.

In the most recent opinion poll on immigration "ALMOST TWO-THIRDS of adults in the State believe immigration policy should be made more restrictive given the worsening economic outlook". Are they all racist as well? Immigration is a major concern for some people at present, please stop using the racism card, any argument you may have is lost once you do so. It is demeaning to people who actually experience racism.

Now you claim we need major population growth to pay pensions. Well heres news for you, immigrants grow old too, they will need pensions in their later years. They dont live on air. So in effect, you are just delaying the inevitable. At the moment we are finding it difficult to provide services for the people already on this island. Education system stretched to the brink, students in prefabs, more cutbacks on the way. Health system is on par with the 3rd world. Social Welfare services at record levels. Do you really think importing more people is what we need at the moment, seriously?

Don't you just love that "MY FRIEND" crap. Its was pure racism, You see how ill informed people are, You have just highlighted the ignorance in your argument. People who emigrate here legally are no financial burden on the state. You must provide bank details to show you can support your wife. You must provide health insurance to insure hospital care is covered. Lastly you are not entitled to claim welfare in this state until you have been resident more than two years that applies to returning Irish too. Your argument might apply to asylum seekers, but that's not what I am talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

yep, i'd say pretty much close to that number is in some way xenephobic, strange country we live in, many actually do think we're being overun by immigrants, i mean i had a cousin over who lives in london and if you said dublin was 'multicultural' he'd give you the old roll eyes.

You think 79% of this country is xenophobic? Really? What a horrible place to live if you are an immigrant. They must be cowering in fear.:rolleyes:

Do you think it may be possible that normal decent people might have concerns over the amount of foreign nationals this country has absorbed in the last couple of years? Can one have rational concerns about immigration without being referred to as a xenophobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

samsham wrote: »
    A lot of people taught the same as you. Children born in Ireland will always have citizenship. regarding my child. If anything was to happen to me my child has the right to live in Ireland, but her mother does not. You hardly think the mother would leave her here alone. The mother can be deported. which means the child goes too. I don't think thats fair. Do you

The child can come back when they are of an age where they can assert their own independence. What's the problem? Just because you have a child in a country shouldn't mean you have automatic rights to citizenship of that country.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    The child can come back when they are of an age where they can assert their own independence. What's the problem? Just because you have a child in a country shouldn't mean you have automatic rights to citizenship of that country.

your logic would imply none of us would have any rights then, You were born here why should you have a right to a passport. Our first president should have been kicked out too. I am talking about the spouse of an Irish person, like your wife. You dont think she should have rights.

Don't you just love that "MY FRIEND" crap. Its was pure racism, You see how ill informed people are, You have just highlighted the ignorance in your argument. People who emigrate here legally are no financial burden on the state. You must provide bank details to show you can support your wife. You must provide health insurance to insure hospital care is covered. Lastly you are not entitled to claim welfare in this state until you have been resident more than two years that applies to returning Irish too. Your argument might apply to asylum seekers, but that's not what I am talking about.

I was being civil, try it some time. This may be an emotive issue for you, for good reason it effects the two people you love most, but you wont win people over by screaming racist if they disagree with you. Are you honestly suggesting 79% of the people in this country are racist? That is a lie and you know it. People who emigrate here are entitled to child benefits, are entitled to all the services that the state provides for citizens with an exception in social welfare. That costs money, which we do not have.

I am not talking about asylum seekers.

I was being civil, try it some time. This may be an emotive issue for you, for good reason it effects the two people you love most, but you wont win people over by screaming racist if they disagree with you. Are you honestly suggesting 79% of the people in this country are racist? That is a lie and you know it. People who emigrate here are entitled to child benefits, are entitled to all the services that the state provides for citizens with an exception in social welfare. That costs money, which we do not have.

I am not talking about asylum seekers.
    No I dont agree with you when I or my wife are sick the state pays me nothing. I have no free medical. I work. Who the hell these days gets free medical care? As for child benefit. My child is a citizen and so am I. Why should we be treated differently from you. Before the referendum Spouse of Irish were naturalized citizens trough marriage. This was changed, why? there was no flood of foreign women
    wanting to marry Irish men for citizenship. So what was the change about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

I stand corrected. I merely wanted to point out that the Irish naturalisation procedure is by no means a 'snap your fingers and it's done' process.

As someone who is currently going through the naturalisation process and hopes to see a positive and fruitful end to my application, it is frustrating to hear/read comments from those who think that the entire process takes a matter of months. It's a matter of years--long, frustrating years in which it is impossible to get any clear guidance or or even a guestimate as to when a decision will be taken.

Sorry for the mini rant. :)

the process is up to 3 years now i hear, thats after a minimum of 5 years living here before you can apply

so thats 5 + 3 years in state with no leaving the country for longer than few weeks, no claiming dole, paying taxes, not getting on gardai radar

i symphatise with you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

your logic would imply none of us would have any rights then, You were born here why should you have a right to a passport. Our first president should have been kicked out too. I am talking about the spouse of an Irish person, like your wife. You dont think she should have rights.

I'm not saying that your wife shouldn't have rights, I actually worded my response very poorly. What I meant to say is that I voted for the closing of a loophole that was open to abuse by mothers of irish born children claiming residency. I am happy that I voted to close that loophole. I think that there will always be exception in any case where a rule is in force. I would fully support anyone who goes through the naturlaisation process becoming a citizen. My issue is that we shouldn't have people short circuiting the imigration process by claiming that they have somehow a requirement to stay because they have a child who is a citizen, if they are not a citizen themselves.

• Advertisement

No I dont agree with you when I or my wife are sick the state pays me nothing. I have no free medical. I work. Who the hell these days gets free medical care? As for child benefit. My child is a citizen and so am I. Why should we be treated differently from you. Before the referendum Spouse of Irish were naturalized citizens trough marriage. This was changed, why? there was no flood of foreign women
    wanting to marry Irish men for citizenship. So what was the change about.

The system was being abused by people having anchor babies and gaining citizenship. It is unfortunate that legitimate cases like yourself are being hurt by the change in legislation.

Just to put some perspective on the scale of abuse, a recent article on immigration understates the problem with Nigerian immigration and social welfare benefits.
    According to the Department of Trades records, 332 work permits were granted to Nigerians over the years while fewer than 150 were granted refugee status during the same period by the minister for justice.

Stated Government policy and Irish immigration law prohibits the payment of welfare benefits to non-EU nationals, other than those granted refugee status. That, in effect, means the maximum number of Nigerians eligible to claim welfare benefits here is 150.

A massive number of Nigerians have immigrated to Ireland. The previous Minister for Justice stated that no amnesty was to be granted to these people, yet a scheme was designed to allow them remain in Ireland called the IBC/05 scheme.

This scheme granted the right of full welfare benefits to these immigrants.

Those who came to Ireland may, if they so choose, claim unemployment and rental accommodation payments and all other welfare benefits including medical cards.

In effect, the scheme created a new category of immigrant, one that has no lawful basis. Thousands of Nigerian immigrants have never worked in Ireland, yet the Irish taxpayer has to pay for them for the rest of their natural lives.

The IBC/05 scheme was grafted on to existing immigration law, even though no legislation for the provision of welfare benefits to illegal immigrants exists. No Bill to accommodate it was brought before the Oireachtas and no vote on this scheme was ever taken even though it requires a massive diversion of publicly raised funds destined for other purposes and voted on by Dail Eireann.

The scheme was implemented in January 2005. More illegal immigrants were granted leave to remain here under this scheme then than the combined total of legal immigrants granted work permits from non-EU countries over the past four years.

Some 23,178 Nigerians are registered with the Department of social welfare. How is this number possible?

Extrapolating from the figures published last week Nigerians alone are receiving a minimum of €100m in benefits per year. This figure is likely much higher.

The scale of the problem is apparent to ordinary Irish people.

The regulation and enforcement of immigration law and policies is currently in a state of anarchy. Resentment of this injustice against the Irish people is ignored by the political establishment and allowed to fester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

blame the government

asylum seekers are not allowed to work, even if they want to

Was it not Mary Harny that recently that recently blamed cheating lone parents for the huge welfare bill and demanded the fathers be named. Look you can get the figures you want to suit your cause. As for the changes in the referendum. They targeted babies for Christ sake instead of border controls. you cant get to America these days without being issued with a visa at point of departure. Simple, but we have to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

NORTHERN dole cheats are taking advantage of high social welfare payments on this side of the Border and are signing on here in substantial numbers further adding to already burgeoning dole queues, the Inishowen Independent can reveal. And the sharp increase in the volume of new claimants over the past 12 months in Buncrana and other Donegal social welfare offices is presenting more opportunities for fraudulent claims.

perhaps we should put the border back up ang get the soldiers out of the barracks

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do you think it may be possible that normal decent people might have concerns over the amount of foreign nationals this country has absorbed in the last couple of years? Can one have rational concerns about immigration without being referred to as a xenophobe?
    If people are concerned about having foreigners in the country, that pretty much makes them xenophobic by definition.

ionix5891 wrote: »
    blame the government

asylum seekers are not allowed to work, even if they want to

Regarding my post, all of those mentioned are entitled to work, instead they are on welfare. They have leave to remain granted under the IBC scheme, even though the Irish people voted against it. They have no democratic right to remain here, it is against the wishes of the vast majority(79%) of Irish people. That is fact.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If people are concerned about having foreigners in the country, that pretty much makes them xenophobic by definition.

If they are concerned with the numbers, that is not xenophobic. Using your logic, are all immigration control policies purely stemming from xenophobia?

People are concerned with the numbers. Pure and simple, nothing to do with xenophobia.

Do you think non nationals who come here and give birth should have the right to Irish citizenship and all that entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Reading your posts you come across as very naive, every country is entitled to control its boarders, surely before you married and started a family you looked into the status of your family should anything happen to you. I understand you’re predicament, As a child of an Irish farther and European mother, I am not an Irish citizen by choice, as I was born and reared in another country that of my mothers.

Unfortunately you are at the receiving end of a system that can not be reformed because unless the country’s immigration policy consists a free for all any border controls and immigration policy that is discussed and is not conforming to a passport and a right to residency for tom dick and Harry then everybody who opposes that view is a racist and xenophobic, which is nonsense.

you self have played on that fact calling people racist because they didn’t agree with your biased view, which is why the status quo exists had immigration policy being discussed in a mature manner without the usual chants of racism etc then maybe your problem wont exist because a legal mechanism could be used.

PaulieD post hit the nail on the head, complete abuse of a system, so don’t blame Irish people for stopping the abuse blame the people who abused the system in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't think it's a simple as that. that's from someone dealing with emigration officials on a frequent basis. When I first brought my wife to emmigration, I was ashmed to be Irish. Firstly your wife is photographed and finger printed. Then issued with an National Garda immigration identification card and told she must carry it at all times or could face arrest or deportation. Its my wife were talking about not a criminal. Meanwhile our Government who implements this policy goes to Washington cap in hand looking for an amnesty for our illegals. What a shower of hyprocrites. Beleive me I know noone who got nuturalization in five years. You are only intitled to apply after three years.

As I said I sympathise and I would hope and even expect your situation will be normalised sooner rather than later. I do think however, that unpleasant as it is, you are looking at it from your own perspective.

In my time in EU countries I have had my passport confiscated for three weeks for a residence permit, had to negotiate my way into an airport because I was unaware I needed a visa, been green carded in the UK on a number occasions, and had to spent the best part of a month's salary on a visa to get back into a country I was legally resident in. None of these experiences I would wish to repeat but they were part of an immigration system and I accepted that this was a part of it what I had to do if I chose to live in those countries at that time.

SWL wrote: »
    Reading your posts you come across as very naive, every country is entitled to control its boarders, surely before you married and started a family you looked into the status of your family should anything happen to you. I understand you’re predicament, As a child of an Irish farther and European mother, I am not an Irish citizen by choice, as I was born and reared in another country that of my mothers.

Unfortunately you are at the receiving end of a system that can not be reformed because unless the country’s immigration policy consists a free for all any border controls and immigration policy that is discussed and is not conforming to a passport and a right to residency for tom dick and Harry then everybody who opposes that view is a racist and xenophobic, which is nonsense.

you self have played on that fact calling people racist because they didn’t agree with your biased view, which is why the status quo exists had immigration policy being discussed in a mature manner without the usual chants of racism etc then maybe your problem wont exist because a legal mechanism could be used.

PaulieD post hit the nail on the head, complete abuse of a system, so don’t blame Irish people for stopping the abuse blame the people who abused the system in the first place.
    What abuse Ireland has the lowest numbers of foreign emmigrants in any european state. We had close to 500,000 foreigners during the boom, Just 40,000 were uninvited. 400,000+ were contributing towords our economy, the othere were not allowed. Like I said were an Island. Everything must fly in here. France and Britian were allowing migrants pass there borders to enter Ireland. There is a solution alright. Its protecting your borders, not leglislating against babies. WHO DID I CALL RACIST, I SAID THE REFERENDUM WAS RACIST.

What abuse Ireland has the lowest numbers of foreign emmigrants in any european state. We had close to 500,000 foreigners during the boom, Just 40,000 were uninvited. 400,000+ were contributing towords our economy, the othere were not allowed. Like I said were an Island. Everything must fly in here. France and Britian were allowing migrants pass there borders to enter Ireland. There is a solution alright. Its protecting your borders, not leglislating against babies.

What abuse? I showed you already, using just one group. I will look more indepth later and give you a full round up of the scale of abuse because of this loophole.

Citizenship should not be awarded just for giving birth on Irish soil. To say otherwise is absurd. Citizenship has to be earned, it is the greatest gift and compliment the Irish state can bestow on a non national. The Irish people voted in their droves(79%) to change it, if you dont like it I am sorry, but that is democracy. Its a beautiful thing.

The system was being abused by people having anchor babies and gaining citizenship. It is unfortunate that legitimate cases like yourself are being hurt by the change in legislation.

Just to put some perspective on the scale of abuse, a recent article on immigration understates the problem with Nigerian immigration and social welfare benefits.
    According to the Department of Trades records, 332 work permits were granted to Nigerians over the years while fewer than 150 were granted refugee status during the same period by the minister for justice.

Stated Government policy and Irish immigration law prohibits the payment of welfare benefits to non-EU nationals, other than those granted refugee status. That, in effect, means the maximum number of Nigerians eligible to claim welfare benefits here is 150.

A massive number of Nigerians have immigrated to Ireland. The previous Minister for Justice stated that no amnesty was to be granted to these people, yet a scheme was designed to allow them remain in Ireland called the IBC/05 scheme.

Those who came to Ireland may, if they so choose, claim unemployment and rental accommodation payments and all other welfare benefits including medical cards.

In effect, the scheme created a new category of immigrant, one that has no lawful basis. Thousands of Nigerian immigrants have never worked in Ireland, yet the Irish taxpayer has to pay for them for the rest of their natural lives.

The IBC/05 scheme was grafted on to existing immigration law, even though no legislation for the provision of welfare benefits to illegal immigrants exists. No Bill to accommodate it was brought before the Oireachtas and no vote on this scheme was ever taken even though it requires a massive diversion of publicly raised funds destined for other purposes and voted on by Dail Eireann.

The scheme was implemented in January 2005. More illegal immigrants were granted leave to remain here under this scheme then than the combined total of legal immigrants granted work permits from non-EU countries over the past four years.

Some 23,178 Nigerians are registered with the Department of social welfare. How is this number possible?

Extrapolating from the figures published last week Nigerians alone are receiving a minimum of €100m in benefits per year. This figure is likely much higher.

The regulation and enforcement of immigration law and policies is currently in a state of anarchy. Resentment of this injustice against the Irish people is ignored by the political establishment and allowed to fester.
    progress.gif
    Oh and by the way nobody was given an invitation by the Irish people to come here, they choose to off their own free will. Stop peddling lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^aren't those immigrants paying taxes like other people??

If you get down to numbers, i maybe wrong... But the money they pay in taxes would come to pretty much what they get back as social welfare...

Though Nigerian immigrants, who aren't asylum seekers can't get the full dole social welfare, like the Irish and rest of EU immigrants. All they get are some welfare benefits for kids and house rent...

Correct me if i'm wrong...

^aren't those immigrants paying taxes like other people??

If you get down to numbers, i maybe wrong... But the money they pay in taxes would come to pretty much what they get back as social welfare...

Though Nigerian immigrants, who aren't asylum seekers can't get the full dole social welfare, like the Irish and rest of EU immigrants. All they get are some welfare benefits for kids and house rent...

Correct me if i'm wrong...

They are granted leave to remain having never worked in Ireland. They get full welfare entitlements. I suggest you read my post before you reply.

These people where given leave to remain simply because they gave birth on Irish soil. Not granted refugee status. The Irish people voted against this and this is undemocratic. It should be revoked, when given leave to remain one must not prove to be a burden on the state. These people obviously are.

What abuse? I showed you already, using just one group. I will look more indepth later and give you a full round up of the scale of abuse because of this loophole.

Citizenship should not be awarded just for giving birth on Irish soil. To say otherwise is absurd. Citizenship has to be earned, it is the greatest gift and compliment the Irish state can bestow on a non national. The Irish people voted in their droves(79%) to change it, if you dont like it I am sorry, but that is democracy. Its a beautiful thing.

progress.gif
    Oh and by the way nobody was given an invitation by the Irish people to come here, they choose to off their own free will. Stop peddling lies.
    I know exactly what your reporting I lived next to a sea side resort in Tramore that housed these Asylum seekers. They were granted residency
    because of a time delay and backlog in dealing with claims. The claimed asylum here, and under UN agreements we have signed up to our Government accepted them. The debate on citizenship came later. Now do you have the figures for people giving citizenship in Ireland based on there child being born here, No you don't because there are none. Asilum seekers will always arive here. that's a different issue.

They are granted leave to remain having never worked in Ireland. They get full welfare entitlements. I suggest you read my post before you reply.

These people where given leave to remain simply because they gave birth on Irish soil. Not granted refugee status. The Irish people voted against this and this is undemocratic. It should be revoked, when given leave to remain one must not prove to be a burden on the state. These people obviously are.
    If they aren't asylum seekers then why are they getting full welfare entitlements??

As far as i know, no non-EU immigrant is entitled to welfare benefits. They can claim for little things like rent and child allowence but not full welfare/dole like where they get paid for sitting on their arse all day.

I think there has to be something like if the person is previously been living in the country for minimum of 5years, paying taxes, contributing to the society, then if the person gives birth in Ireland, they can claim welfare or citizenship.

If they came like 2 weeks ago and gave birth, then they can't claim.

Although, i do say there shouldn't be a social welfare for anyone to get paid for sitting on their arse all day. But thats a different debate.

I know exactly what your reporting I lived next to a sea side resort in Tramore that housed these Asylum seekers. They were granted residency
    because of a time delay and backlog in dealing with claims. The claimed asylum here, and under UN agreements we have signed up to our Government accepted them. The debate on citizenship came later. Now do you have the figures for people giving citizenship in Ireland based on there child being born here, No you don't because there are none. Asilum seekers will always arive here. that's a different issue.

I posted that post twice, I taught you might grasp the point. These people where not granted refugee status to remain. They were granted leave to remain as they gave birth on Irish soil. They are no longer asylum seekers.

If you had your way, just to sit your situation, this loophole would still be widely abused. I am sorry it effects you as you are 100% genuine but it had to be done. It was being exploited. Dont blame the Irish people for changing legislation, blame those abusing it,if there was no abuse it would not have been changed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

seamus wrote: »
    In any case, since deportations are usually decided upon by a judge, the odds of your wife being sent home based on the facts of her case would be minimal.

Unfortunately, deportations are an administrative act within the power of the Minister for Justice, and there is a clear bias among the Minister's staff in favour of deporting anybody they can. Judicial intervention in a deportation order is very restricted and is more or less limited to ensuring that fair procedures are observed and all material facts are duly considered.

If they aren't asylum seekers then why are they getting full welfare entitlements??

As far as i know, no non-EU immigrant is entitled to welfare benefits. They can claim for little things like rent and child allowence but not full welfare/dole like where they get paid for sitting on their arse all day.

I think there has to be something like if the person is previously been living in the country for minimum of 5years, paying taxes, contributing to the society, then if the person gives birth in Ireland, they can claim welfare or citizenship.

If they came like 2 weeks ago and gave birth, then they can't claim.

Although, i do say there shouldn't be a social welfare for anyone to get paid for sitting on their arse all day. But thats a different debate.

They are not asylum seekers anymore, they came here seeking asylum got refused but given leave to remain under the IBC scheme. Basically for giving birth on Irish soil.

Now, they are entitled to full welfare benefits and are clearly(see my post) exercising that right. The numbers I qouted never worked here.

The loophole is now closed and these where the last to be given leave to remain under the scheme, after the referendum. This is undemocratic.

They are not asylum seekers anymore, they came here seeking asylum got refused but given leave to remain under the IBC scheme. Basically for giving birth on Irish soil.

Now, they are entitled to full welfare benefits and are clearly(see my post) exercising that right. The numbers I qouted never worked here.

The loophole is now closed and these where the last to be given leave to remain under the scheme, after the referendum. This is undemocratic.

love to see where your getting this information. they were granted right to stay because of delays in dealing with there asylum claim. there were single men among these people. I know one of them working in the bridge hotel in Waterford

I guess the referendum worked fine there. If it stopped these "asylum seekers" from exploiting the system.

But as i mentioned, it made life difficult for genuine people like the OP.
    If there could be a clause where the person in living for 5 years paying his taxes and all (in which case he is entitled to citizenship) and then gives birth, then the person should be able to claim for the right to remain in the country (atleast for the kid).

• Advertisement

I guess the referendum worked fine there. If it stopped these "asylum seekers" from exploiting the system.

But as i mentioned, it made life difficult for genuine people like the OP.
    If there could be a clause where the person in living for 5 years paying his taxes and all (in which case he is entitled to citizenship) and then gives birth, then the person should be able to claim for the right to remain in the country (atleast for the kid).

Already in place. The OP is a bit over the top. He demands his wife given citizenship now. She will get it, but it takes time. Citizenship is a privilege not a right.

Advertisement