Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish referendum on right to citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

PaulieD wrote: »
    You are American. Dont you dare lecture an Irish man about the war in Iraq. Its your war, we allowed you yanks stop off in Shannon. End of. Your compatriots are the ones blitzing the place. Not us, paddies.

If Ireland is not a desirable place to relocate too, why have thirty odd thousand foreigners applied for PPS numbers this year alone. Also, the government had to open emergency schools in parts of Dublin for recently arrived foreigners. I put this to you, prove foreigners,as a whole, benefit the economy.

If I was a guest in another persons country, I would not be so sanctimonious.

Sir...can you stop all your ranting...you allowed the yanks to stop over at Shannon...knowing fully well their intentions and motives ...we are just as culpable.

Your last statement is very laughable considering that the Irish government are literarily begging the American government to give asylum to thousands of Illegal Irish .There was absolutely nothing sanctimonious about the qouted poster.

Sending 1.5 billion home per year. http://baltic-ireland.ie/2008/08/3024/

20% of dole claimants are foreign nationals. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snmhqlidkf/rss2/

Cost of teaching immigrants english exceeds 126 million. http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/cost-of-teaching-english-to-immigrants-exceeds-8364126m-1372313.html

Massive welfare fraud committed by foreign nationals. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2006/0911/1156791558637.html

90 million on child benefits for children not residing in the state. http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/02/21/story55787.asp

25% of jailed criminals are foreign nationals. http://breaking.tcm.ie/ireland/kfidkfojcwoj/

150 million being claimed in rent supplements. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/united-nations-of-claimants-costing-state-8364150m-1446654.html

Most of the immigrants are used as cheap labour, therefore pay little tax as they are on minimum wage(or lower).http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1216/breaking70.htm

Irish health service workers are being forced abroad as there are no jobs for them. Why are we importing foreigners when we are exporting our own?

Have a look at this Paulie....

http://www.libraryireland.com/Maguire/XVI-1.php

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2008/sep/28/irelands-skilled-workers-flock-to-australia-in-sea/

http://www.spiked-online.com/Printable/000000005570.htm

http://freemansjournal.wordpress.com/2009/04/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

KINGVictor wrote: »

Your first link belongs in the history forum. Every european country has history of emigration to the United States, yet the left in Ireland use it as an excuse for us to pay penance in the modern day and as support of mass immigration from the 3rd world and eastern europe.

Your second, well, Irish workers represent 3% of the total number of Australia's population of foreign workers on business visas. They need visas to get in to Australia, meanwhile we let the accession states nationals saunter through Dublin airport. Germany, europes largest economy, on the other hand operates a work permit scheme.

Your third link, Brits are our largest minority here, we are one of theres. We have had reciprocal agreements long before the EU. Unlike eastern european and 3rd world immigration, which is one way. Transfers of cheap labour to the west.

Lastly, they US estimates that 50,000 Irish citizens are illegally there. Fine, deport them and allow us deport all failed asylum seekers and illegals. A win win situation. I dare say the average American may be more concerned with the 20 million or so illegal hispanics.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Sir...can you stop all your ranting...you allowed the yanks to stop over at Shannon...knowing fully well their intentions and motives ...we are just as culpable.

Your last statement is very laughable considering that the Irish government are literarily begging the American government to give asylum to thousands of Illegal Irish .There was absolutely nothing sanctimonious about the qouted poster.

We allow them to refuel in Shannon airport, yes, but we are not the ones blitzing the place. The yanks are. To compare the two is absurd. Especially coming from a yank.

You do realise the difference between an asylum seeker and an illegal immigrant, dont you? Why would the Irish government be calling for its own citizens to be given asylum.:confused:

Irish illegals should be deported, as should 97% of failed Nigerian asylum seekers who still reside in this state.

Let us prove our dedication to the asylum process by removing ourselves from all current conventions and conducting an emergency intervention programme in actual warzones. Let us fly planes to Darfur, to the Ivory Coast, to Uganda, and to the other places at actual war (unlike Nigeria or Romania) and give a new life in Ireland to people who actually deserve it.

In most of the places on the planet where people have the greatest need of asylum, Irish charity workers are already on the ground. We should consult these NGO workers to establish who ought to be given the chance of a new life in Ireland and use them to establish screening processes to keep out criminals.

*The 97% comes from Department of Justice figures for numbers of asylum seekers whose cases were refused.*

**Furthermore, the only Irish I have ever heard of seeking asylum in the USA are a tiny handful of former Republicans and Loyalists**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

samsham wrote: »
    We had a referendum a few years ago on the rights of people with Irish born kids to live in Ireland. Shamefully we vote as our Government wanted. We ended the right of people with Irish Born kids to live in Ireland. My wife is Asian I am Irish, My child is Irish. Recently I had a health scare and this vote came back to haunt me. Obviously I voted for the rights of parents to stay in Ireland. But because the majority in Ireland voted with the Government, this means if I died my wife and kid can legally be kicked out of Ireland. I was married in 2007 so my wife is not a citizen yet. But were my health to fade and I died, my wife and child who obviously would stay with its mother can be kicked out of Ireland. I just wondered if Irish people knew this when voting. Because to me this referendum was nothing but pure racism. The government acknowledges in order to pay for our growing senior citizens pension we need population growth. So would someone who voted for this please explain what the hell they were thinking of?

Both your wife and your child are entitled to Irish citizenship. Why dont you get it for them and you wont have to worry about deportation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Both your wife and your child are entitled to Irish citizenship. Why dont you get it for them and you wont have to worry about deportation.
    Don't know how you figure that one out. My wife is not entitled to citizenship. My wife has not lived long enough in this country to apply for citizenship.

If you are a foreign national who is married to an Irish citizen, you may be able to become an Irish citizen if you meet certain conditions. Foreign nationals married to Irish citizens can apply for citizenship through naturalisation. The conditions relating to residence are more favourable than those for people who are not married to Irish citizens but there is no longer an absolute entitlement to citizenship through marriage. The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has discretion to grant or refuse your application.
    Up to 29 November 2005, it was possible to become an Irish citizen by making a post-nuptial declaration of citizenship (pdf) but this scheme has now ended.
    Rules

If you are the spouse of an Irish citizen who is applying for Irish citizenship you must meet the following conditions:
    • You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
    • You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous "reckonable residence" in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application
    • You must have been living on the island of Ireland for at least 2 of the 4 years before that year of continuous residence
    • Your marriage must be recognised as valid under Irish law
    • You and your spouse must be living together as husband and wife
    • You must be of full age, good character and intend to continue to live on the island of Ireland
    • You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.

We allow them to refuel in Shannon airport, yes, but we are not the ones blitzing the place. The yanks are. To compare the two is absurd. Especially coming from a yank.

We allowed them to refuel and transport suspected terrorists..so we were adequately aware of this facts...unless we are a naive nation..which I doubt we are...the "yanks",british and other allied forces are responsible for the "blitzing"..but we are equally responsible for the logistical pathway while been fully aware of the intents...its just like providing the bomb to the suicide bomber( knowing what his intentions were ) and later accuse him of being a terrorist.

You do realise the difference between an asylum seeker and an illegal immigrant, dont you? Why would the Irish government be calling for its own citizens to be given asylum.:confused:

So what are they desperately as a matter of policy asking the US government to do.Give the "undocumented Irish" their God given right!!!
    These people went to the US and intentionally overstayed their visas...decided to work and live illegally and now lobbying the US government to stay in the US because they have ostensibly built a life for themselves and their families so they cant return to Ireland...call it illegal,undocumented,asylum...whatever...they are just as guilty of the people you are complaining so much about.

Irish illegals should be deported, as should 97% of failed Nigerian asylum seekers who still reside in this state.

The government,and a lot of Irish people would disagree with you about the "former".Yes I agree that all failed asylum seekers irrespective of their country of origin( I am sure that some are not Nigerians) should be deported as long as they have exhausted all legally binding routes and I am also of the opinion that the Asylum system should be overhauled to make way for a fairer,comprehensive and concise one.

Let us prove our dedication to the asylum process by removing ourselves from all current conventions and conducting an emergency intervention programme in actual warzones. Let us fly planes to Darfur, to the Ivory Coast, to Uganda, and to the other places at actual war (unlike Nigeria or Romania) and give a new life in Ireland to people who actually deserve it.

Thats a splendid but also complex idea...how would you put such policy in place.How would you be able to decipher who truly deserves it or not...by looking at them or their country of origin? That would be very myopic and stupid...because everyone is an individual with different experiences in life.

In most of the places on the planet where people have the greatest need of asylum, Irish charity workers are already on the ground. We should consult these NGO workers to establish who ought to be given the chance of a new life in Ireland and use them to establish screening processes to keep out criminals.

And lets pray they have not been raped yet..lol.......an Irish NGO operating in Louisana during the hurricane would tell you of the sufferings of many families...would you take them in because of that...or they would be able to tell who is a criminal because it is very visible on their foreheads.Sudan is a very big country and you cannot possbly envisage that every national of that country needs asylum...some are medical doctors,engineers who would earn a relatively decent living and because South Africa or Nigeria that are richer wont have people who would genuinely have a need to seek asylum...bandwagon fallacy.

*The 97% comes from Department of Justice figures for numbers of asylum seekers whose cases were refused.*

Give us a link to that information

**Furthermore, the only Irish I have ever heard of seeking asylum in the USA are a tiny handful of former Republicans and Loyalists**

Thats what you have heard...the Irish that are shown on Rte begging the US govt to give them legal papers to stay do not strike me as loyalists or republicans...just ordinary people that made wrong choices and praying for respite.I dont think Bertie Ahern,Brain Cowen,Micheal Martin and the President Mary would be actively lobbying if it was just the aforementioned people.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

@OP

I feel for you and the situation

what should be realised is that, YES, while the wait for citizen ship may seem like a long wait, it has to be endured, for the simple reason of weeding out the scammers as was pointed out earlier in the thread...

wholesale fraud has been, and is being carried out

there has to be a balance this is the fairest way, if you have a better idea please share...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

zing zong wrote: »
    @OP

what should be realised is that, YES, while the wait for citizen ship may seem like a long wait, it has to be endured, for the simple reason of weeding out the scammers as was pointed out earlier in the thread...

wholesale fraud has been, and is being carried out

there has to be a balance this is the fairest way, if you have a better idea please share...

That's a terrible argument. Length of time waited does not and never will equate to proper investigation.

It's a piss take at best, deliberate at worst. Other countries manage to process far larger numbers in far shorter time-periods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

zing zong wrote: »
    @OP

The fallacy with regards time taken has been dealt with above by Mena.

I might point out that if it was to do with "scammers", surely the onus would be to find them as soon as possible and thus remove them from the country.

Also, theres vast inconsistencies with regards the amount of time between individuals.

Mena wrote: »
    That's a terrible argument. Length of time waited does not and never will equate to proper investigation.

It's a piss take at best, deliberate at worst. Other countries manage to process far larger numbers in far shorter time-periods.

Citizenship is the biggest gift a country can bestow on a foreign national. Nobody is entitled to it. It has to be earned. Many people got citizenship for giving birth on this island, anyone who got citizenship through the IBC loophole should have it revoked as the Irish people voted against it. It is undemocratic.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the departments in question are inundated with applicants and that it takes time to review each and every one?

We should adopt the Swiss approach regarding citizenship.

http://www.switzerland.isyours.com/e/immigration/citizenship/index.html

Citizenship is the biggest gift a country can bestow on a foreign national. Nobody is entitled to it. It has to be earned. Many people got citizenship for giving birth on this island, anyone who got citizenship through the IBC loophole should have it revoked as the Irish people voted against it. It is undemocratic.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the departments in question are inundated with applicants and that it takes time to review each and every one?

No! the biggest gift would be to live as a family without fear. Not to be in fear some day something my separate your family. In this present climate when jobs are going at an unnatural rate. I must fear going on the dole. Because going on the dole can effect your wife's citizenship claim in the future. Perhaps if you had a foreign wife, you might see things differently.

samsham wrote: »
    No! the biggest gift would be to live as a family without fear. Not to be in fear some day something my separate your family. In this present climate when jobs are going at an unnatural rate. I must fear going on the dole. Because going on the dole can effect your wife's citizenship claim in the future. Perhaps if you had a foreign wife, you might see things differently.

The majority(79%) of Irish people support the changes the referendum brought. I genuinely feel for man, but the law had to be changed as it was being abused. It is unfortunate that it has effected genuine people like yourself, blame those that abused the system, not those that changed it.

May I suggest you get in touch with the DoJ or get your local TD to take up your case?

The majority(79%) of Irish people support the changes the referendum brought. I genuinely feel for man, but the law had to be changed as it was being abused. It is unfortunate that it has effected genuine people like yourself, blame those that abused the system, not those that changed it.

May I suggest you get in touch with the DoJ or get your local TD to take up your case?
    with respect already done, no help

Citizenship is the biggest gift a country can bestow on a foreign national. Nobody is entitled to it. It has to be earned.

What is the relevance to my comment?

Many people got citizenship for giving birth on this island, anyone who got citizenship through the IBC loophole should have it revoked as the Irish people voted against it. It is undemocratic.

I'd be far more worried about retrospective laws being introduced than a tiny minority of babies that were granted citizenship as per the Irish constitution prior to the change.

The figures are paltry. Someone has already done a comparison of the numbers in a thread here in the politics forum. Their are only two ways the delays can be rationalised.

1. Gross Incomptitence from the INIS. Based on the performance of the government as a whole, I'd put my money on this one.

2. Deliberate delays in the hope people will go home before their applications are considered. Problem here is most people applying for citizenship are already home, in Ireland.

It's the 12 years you're referring to ain't it? On what basis exactly?

Here are the figures I was referring to previously:

278. Deputy Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of pending naturalisation applications that were filed in 2006; the number that were filed in 2005; and the number that were filed in previous years. [18802/09]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The following is a breakdown of the number of applications for certificates of naturalisation received from 2002 - 2006 and the number pending a decision.

Year....No. of applications received....No. of applications pending

The checks that are run as as follows:
    Margo wrote: »

The checks that the DoJ undertake include the following:
    1. Checks regarding length and periods of residency. These details are sent in as evidence by the applicant in their Passports. The DoJ also have computer records of all Visas granted and periods of stays
    2. Financial checks. Applicant has to send in EOY Financial Records (P60, P45, P21 etc.) for each year. This information is also available from the Dept of Social Welfare. If you request this information individually it takes less than a week to have it supplied to you. No idea how long this is taking the DoJ.
    3. Character (Security) Checks: This involves checking with the Garda Siochana that the person has not been involved in any crime during their period of residency. This takes 1-2 weeks if one applies individually, but it is taking the DoJ 3-8 months

It can only be totally gross incompetence or deliberate delays that cause the process to drag on for over 3 years, and that's over and above the 5 years you need to be here already.

http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/press_detail.php?id=91#

That shows processing times in other countries, where they obviously know what they are doing...

82913.JPG

That was my argument with relation to the time it takes, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

We are bankrupt and cannot affford this, refund their PRSI and suggest they return home.

FF bankrolling their buddies has nearly bankrupt this country. Paying me all my PRSI back and sending me home along with hundreds of thousands of other foreignors WILL bankrupt your country. Hell I'd almost do it just to see Brian Lenihan have a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

No country grants citizenship when you turn up. In the US it takes petitioning for a green card ( if you dont have one), and then for citizenship. Although I have no idea why anyone would want US citizenship.

For a worker on a H1B that would take 3 years of working there, 5+ years for the Green card ( which can be refused if there is a downturn in the industry), and a few years for the citizenship.

Worst case, alright. I lived in the US, though not as a immigrant ( specifically a non-immigrant visa) and was refused the green card. I didnt care ( they company applies for me) but so it goes. Its a tough old world. If large countries control and protect their citizenship, so too should small historical countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Mena's statistics dont take into account the time you have to live in a country before you apply for naturalization.

• Advertisement

asdasd wrote: »
    No country grants citizenship when you turn up. In the US it takes petitioning for a green card ( if you dont have one), and then for citizenship. Although I have no idea why anyone would want US citizenship.

For a worker on a H1B that would take 3 years of working there, 5+ years for the Green card ( which can be refused if there is a downturn in the industry), and a few years for the citizenship.

Worst case, alright. I lived in the US, though not as a immigrant ( specifically a non-immigrant visa) and was refused the green card. I didnt care ( they company applies for me) but so it goes. Its a tough old world. If large countries control and protect their citizenship, so too should small historical countries.

You're totally missing the point again. All I am saying is I expect a speedy response, be it yes or no, not being dragged from pillar to post for 4 years for no good reason. Anyway, this is going totally off-topic, we should probably go back to the thread concerning this.
    Mena's statistics dont take into account the time you have to live in a country before you apply for naturalization.

I don't see how that's relevant, but:

UK - Six Years

Canada - Three Years

Australia - Five Years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

If large countries control and protect their citizenship, so too should small historical countries.

I have yet to see anyone argue that countries have no right to control who gets citizenship. No one has said that you should get immediate citizenship. Do I actually need to point this out? Or is it just that you can't be bothered actually listening to what people are concerned about or is it just fine with you that the government does whatever it wants to foreignors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

It's an interesting discussion of State responsibilities; a proposal that our Irish State has a responsilility to encourage/enable Irish children to be brought up here (despite the Ryan report), including granting leave to remain to bereaved foreign-national parents- almost certainly the action which the Minister would take in the unhappy event- has merit.
    But 'worry' about an Irish child being raised in a foreign culture seems a bit unenlightened. My logic: If the mother of an Irish-born child does not have four years residence in her own right, the child must be aged three or less. Children of this age are adaptable and take changes of domicile and vernacular language in their stride. There could also be benefits to the child of increased maternal self-confidence,( being at home in her own culture), and from having the support of mother's extended family. Worry should not be universal in these circumstances.

Irish nationals from Waterford, and other places, should be worried by this, which impacts directly and invariably upon their children's experiences and education:
    [/QUOTE]Cost of teaching immigrants english exceeds 126 million. http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/cost-of-teaching-english-to-immigrants-exceeds-8364126m-1372313.htmlQUOTE]

126 million Euros a year! That's an indictment of how our Government has managed the recruitment of workers for our economy. There was no requirement to have the working language of the country! This is a terrible deal for the Irish taxpayer; currently paying more than 376 Euro per year for each foreign national in employment (total number minus 80,000 on live register) to provide extra English teaching in Schools. A subsidy, by the taxpayers to employers, who are the only people to gain an economic benefit.
    126 million Euros pa could have improved the quality of schooling for all Irish children!

It's an interesting discussion of State responsibilities; a proposal that our Irish State has a responsilility to encourage/enable Irish children to be brought up here (despite the Ryan report), including granting leave to remain to bereaved foreign-national parents- almost certainly the action which the Minister would take in the unhappy event- has merit.
    But 'worry' about an Irish child being raised in a foreign culture seems a bit unenlightened. My logic: If the mother of an Irish-born child does not have four years residence in her own right, the child must be aged three or less. Children of this age are adaptable and take changes of domicile and vernacular language in their stride. There could also be benefits to the child of increased maternal self-confidence,( being at home in her own culture), and from having the support of mother's extended family. Worry should not be universal in these circumstances.

Irish nationals from Waterford, and other places, should be worried by this, which impacts directly and invariably upon their children's experiences and education:
    Cost of teaching immigrants english exceeds 126 million. http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/cost-of-teaching-english-to-immigrants-exceeds-8364126m-1372313.htmlQUOTE]

Again a reference to Eastern European legal emigrants and the cost of teaching English. Were inviting Croatia to apply for EU entry next. With that will follow freedom of movement like other EU citizens. You see on one hand we are opening our doors to Eastern Europe. Then you expect me to understand our Governments emigration policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

126 million Euros a year! That's an indictment of how our Government has
    126 million Euros pa could have improved the quality of schooling for all Irish children!

I know where 7 Billion has been spent to shore up the decisions of a group of maybe 20 people....
    http://www.angloirishbank.ie/

If you want to start complaining, start there, instead of money spent on education.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

In fairness, there can be different circumstances that might make the Irish child older - for example, if they lived in the UK with their parents until they were three, and then moved to Ireland, they might be six or seven, in school for a few years. A child might also have extended family in Ireland with whom they have close relationships, and who might also be providing a support network for the child and for the widowed non-Irish parent.

In some cases, the non-Irish parent might choose to leave Ireland with their child, either to return to their home country or to travel elsewhere, but in cases where the parent feels that it's in the best interests of their child to remain in Ireland, I think that they should be facilitated. If the Irish spouse dies and the widow/widower wants to stay in Ireland with their Irish child, I think that they should be given permanent residency if they have not been in Ireland long enough to qualify for citizenship and if, when they have resided in Ireland long enough to qualify, they choose to apply for citizenship, there should be a way of fast-tracking it so that they're not waiting around for years.
    126 million Euros a year! That's an indictment of how our Government has managed the recruitment of workers for our economy. There was no requirement to have the working language of the country! This is a terrible deal for the Irish taxpayer; currently paying more than 376 Euro per year for each foreign national in employment (total number minus 80,000 on live register) to provide extra English teaching in Schools. A subsidy, by the taxpayers to employers, who are the only people to gain an economic benefit.

To be honest, I think that the government should never have been paying for English language support within the school - if you move to another country with your child, I think that it should be up to you to arrange and finance any additional language teaching your child needs, if he or she does not speak the language of the school. However, since they've been paying for it until now, there's bound to be resistance to the idea of withdrawing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Nodin wrote: »
    I know where 7 Billion has been spent to shore up the decisions of a group of maybe 20 people....
    http://www.angloirishbank.ie/

If you want to start complaining, start there, instead of money spent on education.

When he has finished complaining about Anglo and the state of Uganda and the lack of world peace and the blandness of Tesco mayonaise or whatever other utterly non-related issue that takes your fancy....

Then, and perhaps only then, assuming he has sorted out those problems, do you think it would it be OK if he blames the Government for screwing up immigration (non) policy?

Originally Posted by cabinteelytom viewpost.gif

Your fantastic. easy known it's not your child. A child born in Ireland is culturally linked to Ireland. (Being at home in her own culture) How would the child even know another culture. What about her extended family here. Grandparents aunts Uncles and cousins. Perhaps you wouldn't worry, but I think no parent would disregard the child's rights just like you have just done. What about if this country is a basket case, destroyed in poverty. Still you just send an Irish citizen packing back to the slums of god knows where.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

126 million Euros a year! That's an indictment of how our Government has managed the recruitment of workers for our economy.
    The government has no role in the recruitment of workers, apart from public servants.
    There was no requirement to have the working language of the country!
    Presumably the ability of immigrants to speak English was sufficient for the jobs they were employed to do.
    This is a terrible deal for the Irish taxpayer; currently paying more than 376 Euro per year for each foreign national in employment...
    How much tax do you suppose each of those foreign nationals pays in a year?

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »
    I'd be far more worried about retrospective laws being introduced than a tiny minority of babies that were granted citizenship as per the Irish constitution prior to the change.

It is undemocratic. 18,000 parents got leave to remain for one reason, giving birth on Irish soil . This was after Irish people voted against this. It is an outrage. Citizenship should be revoked and if they are a drain on the economy, ie unemployed, they should be deported.

We are a nation, not a charity. A bankrupt nation at that. Charity starts at home.

Advertisement