Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a new lens for my Pentax

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

That's a good price for that lens.
    I bought it in the US last year and paid more.

I find that lens good and get loads of use out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

jen_23 wrote: »
    That's a good price for that lens.
    I bought it in the US last year and paid more.

I find that lens good and get loads of use out of it.
    Hi mate, thanks for that, how do you find the focusing speed of it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

The Sigma is a great lens with the advantage of macro. The Pentax 55-300 is also very good - in my experience noticeably sharper - but doesn't have macro which can be annoying for certain shots. If getting the Sigma, make sure it's the APO version not the cheaper version which has quite a lot of chromatic aberration.

TJM wrote: »
    The Sigma is a great lens with the advantage of macro. The Pentax 55-300 is also very good - in my experience noticeably sharper - but doesn't have macro which can be annoying for certain shots. If getting the Sigma, make sure it's the APO version not the cheaper version which has quite a lot of chromatic aberration.
    Whats the difference between the APO and standard ? I'd be looking at getting the standard one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looks like there is a standard (non-APO) version of the Sigma 70-300mm for Pentax on sale over on adverts. Note that the photo of the lens shows it with the red band near the front of the lens which indicates the APO model but this is probably a stock photo as the ad. doesn't mention APO.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=117465&cat=51

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Looks like there is a standard (non-APO) version of the Sigma 70-300mm for Pentax on sale over on adverts. Note that the photo of the lens shows it with the red band near the front of the lens which indicates the APO model but this is probably a stock photo as the ad. doesn't mention APO.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=117465&cat=51
    Its the DG one I think, has DG on the box anyways. If he accepts the offer I'll take it but I won't go any higher I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I know you are hoping to do motor sport - i haven't done that myself but the following might give you the jist of how it performs.

All the following on the Pentax K20D with the Sigma 70-300 DG Macro.

At last weeks Rás that lens gave me this @ 190mm focal length;

85CD9D219BE1421BB647880507E7079C.jpg

I had the shutter cranked up way (no really waaaayyyyy) too much so some of the distortion is actually sensor noise rather than anything to do with the optics of the lens.

I have to admit being a little surprised (plesantly) by the lens performance which although a proud owner I didn't rate overly high. I was shooting on continuous focus and continuous shooting and it did a reasonable job considering the speed at which the Rás boys flew by.

More samples from this model lens at the Rás are here;

@300mm - a focal length which I try to avoid due to aberration but I was happy enough with the result.

04A54130AD294A20AD1C519A3FF6758A.jpg

Lighting wasn't perfect on the dog but still it performed fine - not exceptional but not bad at all.

a high contrast b/w version of this here (a little processed / a little unsharp applied)

A black and white of a candid portrait taken with it again @ 300mm which has its aberration;

43A8DB29C9BA42C9B28317DDEFD5C2E4.jpg

All the above were taken with the Pentax K20D and the Sigma 70-300 DG Macro.

The following are all taken with the older brother - the Pentax *ist DL and the same Sigma 70-300 DG Macro.

A macro taken a good while back for a boards challenge to demonstrate bokeh;

B3ACE50A2E7A46E88F6CF5CEA85252E7-800.jpg

Again focal length @ 300mm / used macro setting as far as I can recall which by the way works in the 200mm - 300mm range (funny considering the 300mm is one i try to avoid i appear to be posting lots with that range - ah well warts and all).

Out at the other end of the focal length (again that which you should avoid) you get this;

932B4C9F1EBF4CA69FEC7165C9542823-800.jpg

70mm.

Click in on it and go to sizes in pix.ie and select original size which will demonstrate the aberration particularly visible along the lines of the white shirt.

The sweet spot of it should be a bit like this but i can still see the aberration in close - could also have been the intensity of white lit by the sun and my poor metering :pac:;

1003A38C41954A3F8781264B710418B1-800.jpg

During the snow it also did a reasonable job on this again @ 300mm (note to self - stop cranking the zoom ;) ;

1C2952B9CA064769A6BD425A956D67B7-800.jpg

The processing that I would generally dabble in is crop, contrast/curves/or levels, saturation, and brightness. So to varying degrees you'll be able to fill in for any flaws in the lens with a little post processing (i don't spend too much time at it - maybe that tells ;) ).

Hope the above helps.

Thanks mate, I appreciate that :)

Ordered the Sigma non-APO version from Pixmania.ie, should be here in a few days so I'll post up a few pics then. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

photoshop does a great job in correcting ca imo.. i wouldnt make ca a deal breaker

• Advertisement
Advertisement