Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of representation in West Wicklow

Options
  • 03-06-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I don't know whether any others on here have the same problem with their political party but I'd been receiving letters from said party inviting me to constituency meetings in Ashford. What they dont seem to realize is that there is a mountain range splitting Wicklow down the middle and there is no public transport unless you go all the way into the centre of Dublin and then back out again.

Anyway I emailed the concellor who organizes these meetings asking him for his thoughts on West Wicklow as a whole and to either hold some meetings that would cater for party members on the west/forgotten side of the county or to stop sending me invitations as it is unfair to expect me to be able to attend them. Of course he chose the latter of the two and I never received a reply, furthermore I haven't received any letters from the party since.

With my house literally yards from the Kildare border I would feel far more satisfied with Blessington being part of the same constituency as Naas. I realize that it is highly unlikely that constituency borders would ever be redrawn though, shame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I sympathise with you entirely.
    Its easy trying to feel part of the county when everything is so lob-sided.

I'm from wicklow town and I'm a good example of the problem because I've never in my life even passed through west wicklow.

I just checked on wikipedia and the populations of Baltinglass & Blessington combined are less than 10,000.
    I think your right about being folded into the Kildare constituancy, I thinkit would help regarding engagement overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's a bit of a pain alright. The mountains are a serious divide in the county. Are any of the WW TDs from the west of the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

FG's Billy Timmins is from Baltinglass. 4-1 to the east side

Advertisement