Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miriam O' Gallaghan's new radio show

• 03-06-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Miriam O' Gallagahan is going to present a show on RTE Radio 1 later this year. No details as of yet, it will be interesting to see who she will replace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well knowing RTE they will kill off some innocent little programme that costs little and replce it with her on an increased salery! ;)

Seriously though, until the nature of the prog is revealed its hard to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I wonder will they send her on elocution lessons.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

A lot of fuss about nothing really. Miriam is just filling in for Eamon Dunphy for 8 weeks. She is in the papers today patting herself on the back because she claims to be doing the radio stint for "free".

Once again a RTE "Star" completely misses the point. For an organisation, that is losing over 1 million euro a week, to be paying its presenters what it does is just ridiculous. Labour market forces seems to be an alien concept in Montrose. Especially since RTE is once again looking for a hand out from the licence fee payers.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/rte-asks-public-to-bail-it-out-1765726.html

When is that on 0900-1000 on Sunday?

Flutter won't be tooning in,cannot stand her accent and poor diction.

Fluttering eyelashes and a good rack don't paper over the VERY OBVIOUS cracks for The Flutt.

Learn how to pronounce "H" Mrs O'C

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Deadhead, So shes giving up her saturday mornings throughout the summer out of her own free will and said she'd be quite happy to take a further pay reduction today in The Mail and your having a go at her why?

• Advertisement

RTE is facing between a 68 million and 100 million loss this year. So I can't see how it is justifiable to pay Miriam O'Gallaghan & Co. the salaries they are being paid. Under the circumstances a 10% cut is not nearly enough. And to compound it even further RTE are asking the licence fee payers, of which I am one, to help pay their wage bill because they are unable to.

So basically I think she is being paid too much as it is and her doing a saturday morning radio show for "free" doen't really change my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Miasima Goria

I'd imagine the new programme will be able to charge higher advertising rates than is normal for that spot, purely on the drawing power of the presenter.
    Thus RTE will make more money for probably little more outlay than it normally takes to create content for that hour.

If the issue is RTE and the licence fee, it seems harsh to target a particular RTE employee.

If TV3 would employ her on the same wage, would that be OK as after all, it would be market forces?

It's not really a new show, she is just replacing Dunphy while he is on holidays. Given the current climate it highly unlikely to affect advertism revenue. I'm not targeting one RTE employee, I have targeted them all on this issue pretty much since I started posting on Boards. I also think that RTE management is the real guilty party here.

And yes, if in the morning I no longer had to pay a TV licence fee, or face a large fine or indeed prison, then I woudn't care less what they are being paid. The fact that TV3 couldn't and wouldn't pay her the same amount further shows why she and the other RTE top earners are, in fact, being paid too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

deadhead13 wrote: »
    RTE is facing between a 68 million and 100 million loss this year. So I can't see how it is justifiable to pay Miriam O'Gallaghan & Co. the salaries they are being paid. Under the circumstances a 10% cut is not nearly enough. And to compound it even further RTE are asking the licence fee payers, of which I am one, to help pay their wage bill because they are unable to.

So basically I think she is being paid too much as it is and her doing a saturday morning radio show for "free" doen't really change my view.

How much of a pay cut and free labour did you volunteer for?

Flyer28 wrote: »
    How much of a pay cut and free labour did you volunteer for?

Lol, I'm not working a for company that is losing 1 million euros a week. I get paid the going rate for what I do - my point being, the RTE "Stars" don't.

• Advertisement

I agree 100% with deadhead there.

Bottom line folks...RTE "stars " are being paid too much; period.

They have far too much time off and need to get more productive.

Senior management, much like the Govt. failed to rein in the spending when advertisers were showering the money on RTE and now ,when that has dried up,like the stamp duty, they find themselves beached, high and dry.

Lost the run of themselves,that's what happened,pure and simple

dead head is absolutely correct.

Advertisement