Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions on drills..

Options
  • 03-06-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm considering picking up a new drill and have no idea about what brands are decent or what I should be looking for when buying one, so I thought I'd ask you guys. I'll be drilling into pre-set concrete which is a bitch so I imagine I'll need some kind of hammer action in the drill, but that's about the limit of my knowledge on the subject. I'd normally borrow my father's drill but it lacks hammer action and can't handle drilling the walls in this apartment.

So:
    Which brands are decent?
    What features are necessary and useful?
    And what kind of power rating/whatever would I be looking for given the above kind of work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I bought the 'challenge extreme' sds drill from Argos last year, the drill just falls through concrete like it was butter, also handy for removing tiles with the chisel attachment. about €80. it is a big heavy drill but if you have to drill holes for 5 curtain poles and a dozen pictures in block walls it saves a lot of time. I once spent hours raising my blood pressure trying to do a similar job with a regular drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

OwenM wrote: »
    I bought the 'challenge extreme' sds drill from Argos last year, the drill just falls through concrete like it was butter, also handy for removing tiles with the chisel attachment. about €80. it is a big heavy drill but if you have to drill holes for 5 curtain poles and a dozen pictures in block walls it saves a lot of time. I once spent hours raising my blood pressure trying to do a similar job with a regular drill.

I think this is an SDS drill is it. OP this is what i rec for personel use. The cheapest drill possible with SDS as you wont be using it much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

Don't know if they are available oversees, but I have had a lot of good experiences with Dewalt Drills. I have an older one, which is a hammer drill, and I got it after it had been heavily used and have put it to work myself, but it is still just as strong as it was when it was new...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

We have a Ryobi hammer action cordless drill that is surprisingly strong for a cordless. It goes through concrete without any hassle and we've gotten great use out of it for over 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you are looking for a drill with SDS (rotary hammer action) for only occasional DIY use then your best bet is a cheapie from ALDI/Lidl or Argos. For anything more (or if you want a drill you'll have for life, spend a few bob more an a Bosch or Makita from Axminster or another online retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

+1 on the cheap SDS drill, B&Q used to do them for 60 euro or so.

I would buy a good 5.5 drill bit though as the cheapys are made of cheese.
    If you can't get Hilti Bosch are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cheers all.

Advertisement