Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the United states.

Options
  • 03-06-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am a 22 yr old student and I am thinking of heading over to the states for the summer. I had not originally intended on going but a change in circumstances has left me unemployed and living at home. Because I had not originally intended on going away, I never applied for a J1 visa.

The closing date for this visa through USIT/SAYIT/GO4LESS is now closed so I am wondering does anybody know of any other routes you can go down to get sponsored to work for the summer is the USA? Essentially you cannot get a DS-2019 (main legal work waiver) unless you go through an agency such as one of the 3 mentioned above. As far as I know these are the only 3 companies in Ireland that sell US J1 visa's but surely there is some other way that I can apply for one?

The J1 is part of the 'Inter exchange' programme which is open to students of all nationalities to enter the USA and work for 3 months. I spoke with somebody from SAYIT travel who told me that your nationality is not a requirement when booking a J1 from them or any of the other 2 agencies in Ireland. This is most likely the case for most countries.

Does anybody know anything about this or can offer any help? I can't seem to find much info about it on the web.
    Thanks.

Advertisement