Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get the required points for H.Dip.???

• 03-06-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I am interested in becoming a secondary school teacher of business and economics.

I have completed my honours degree, and recently a post grad all in business related fields. This is my current score;

Primary Degree- 41points
    PostGrad- 3points.

Total is 44. Ideally it appears I require 47 points to be realistically in with a shout of being offered a place (with business hdips incurring a strict cap).

So I have a shortfall of 3points.

I am planning to apply next year but as the deadline for applications is 1st December I am worried I wont achieve 250hrs teaching required to gain 3 bonus points and a Masters will not be considered as I will not have it totally completed till the following May. What should I do?

If any of my presumptions are wrong above-please don't hesitate to point it out. Please I am so confused- Help Wanted!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have no idea what this points thing you're talking about is, but plenty of people do a H.Dip after doing an arts degree. What result did you get in your degree and postgrad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I am interested in becoming a secondary school teacher of business and economics.

I have completed my honours degree, and recently a post grad all in business related fields. This is my current score;

Primary Degree- 41points
    PostGrad- 3points.

Total is 44. Ideally it appears I require 47 points to be realistically in with a shout of being offered a place (with business hdips incurring a strict cap).

So I have a shortfall of 3points.

I am planning to apply next year but as the deadline for applications is 1st December I am worried I wont achieve 250hrs teaching required to gain 3 bonus points and a Masters will not be considered as I will not have it totally completed till the following May. What should I do?

If any of my presumptions are wrong above-please don't hesitate to point it out. Please I am so confused- Help Wanted!!!!

First of all your uncompleted Master's will not be considered at all for next December. Only qualifications and experience before December 1st will be considered - this is according to the PAC literature on the course.

The good news is that it will allow you more time to get the extra three points, or four just to be sure so that you might be in a strong position to apply the following December with your Master's and the necessary experience.

Sorry that the story is not more positive but that is the actual reality according to the H Dip handbook. What you should do is concentrate on getting the Master's while putting as many feelers out as possible for subbing work in both Primary and Secondary schools.

No doubt you will have the naysayers telling you that there won't be any subbing work but if you're not in you can't win as they say, and you have from next September to the following December 12 months to try to get the necessary experience, though it is a fair amount to try to acquire in that time unless you were lucky enough to pick up a good run subbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

It can be done, Helpwanted1. I got 250 hours sub teaching between 26 August and 1 December last year, while working on an MA dissertation that was not finished before 1 December. Hence, I didn't get the 6 points the MA would have added, but I got the 3 I needed from my experience and I'm starting the PGDE in August. If you do happen to get a good run at subbing I'd advise you to prioritise that above your MA. Your college would probably understand even if you wanted to take a leave of absence and return to the MA when you've completed the PGDE (several of my friends took that option). Just a possible route if it comes down to that. Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

First of all thanks for the replies-positive and negative.

Secondly well done tangerine.Cant belive you had the guts to risk gettin the 250 hours.seems unrealistic to me with the cutbacks which makes your achievement even more impressive.

Can you give any tips on how you achieved this??For instance how you applied to schools, was subbing readily available from the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

I have a quick question to add to this, as I'll be doing the same and looking to get sub work before 1st Dec. Does it matter if your subbing work is with primary schools when applying for the HDip to teach secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

DaisyPem wrote: »
    I have a quick question to add to this, as I'll be doing the same and looking to get sub work before 1st Dec. Does it matter if your subbing work is with primary schools when applying for the HDip to teach secondary?

No it doesn't matter at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭helpwanted1

DaisyPem wrote: »

How many points do you think you will require from subbing Daisy?

Nice to know I am not the only one attempting this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

I have a masters, so thats 6 points, and I will get between 36 and 39 points for my degree (I'm not sure my exact grade). also I'm not looking to do anything business related in the hdip so will need fewer points. realistically I hope to get 1 or 2 points from sub work. the way things are now i don't know if there will be much work subbing next year. I'll go visit schools with my CV in August. hope it works out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zuri

Hi guys,

I have another question that someone may be able to help me with?...I am interested in doing the hdip starting in Sept 2010...I have a 2.1 degree in maths and computer science so that should give me between 41 and 43 points I can't remember my exact result.. I also have the ACA accounting qualification but i'm not sure how many points are awarded for this..is it classed as a masters/post grad? and so worth 6/3 points?..I dont have any teaching hours but need to start think about getting the required number if i do not have enough points..

Thanks, zuri

Advertisement