Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIRELESS ALARM WITH GSM

Options
  • 03-06-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am currently renovating my house in Dublin. Looking for a wireless alarm system with 5 PIRs, 5 Door Contacts, 1 smoke alarm, 1 Panic Button, External Sounder. Also would like GSM functionality that texts me when alarm goes off and that I can set and disarm via text - basically a self monitoring system.

Ive seen lots of these type online via ebay and retailers in UK but I dont really trust them.

Can anybody point me in the right direction here in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The SigNet 200p would be your best bet. Also gives you IP access over broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'll second the signet
    I would steer clear of ebay when looking for home security

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hey lads,
    I have never used the Signet but is it true what I hear about the problems with the batteries in their wireless stuff that they only last about a year?

I got an email a while ago from some company who was having a nightmare with their stuff and was looking for support.

I have some Signets that are installed at the start of 2007 and the batteries are still going but they will all be changed on the next service as a precaution. I could get more out of them but I'm not taking the chance.
    There were some problems with batteries but now each battery is tested before it leaves the warehouse.
    I've had problems with nearly all of the early panels that I installed. A firmware upgrade fixed this. PITA I know.
    The current version is rock solid and no more spurious crashes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hey lads,
    I have never used the Signet but is it true what I hear about the problems with the batteries in their wireless stuff that they only last about a year?

I got an email a while ago from some company who was having a nightmare with their stuff and was looking for support.

Hi fred funk,
    the sensors used on the signet are for the visonic system, they last up to two years depending on use.. have had problems with contacts and motions because of the general use, change them every year to be on the safe side, but shocks on windows are fine. .

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Hi fred funk,
    the sensors used on the signet are for the visonic system, they last up to two years depending on use.. have had problems with contacts and motions because of the general use, change them every year to be on the safe side, but shocks on windows are fine. .

Up to two years isn't really that good compared to Aritech, they last many years. What would be the difference with the two systems? I ask because I'm hearing some good things about the Signet and I'm starting to have a few problems with Aritech.

Cheers

Up to two years isn't really that good compared to Aritech, they last many years. What would be the difference with the two systems? I ask because I'm hearing some good things about the Signet and I'm starting to have a few problems with Aritech.

Cheers

I use the aritech cs250 myself, 16 zones wirefree, wirefree bellbox.
    never have any problems.. batteries last up to five years, dont like the sensors on the signet but they are bringing out a new design type soon.. what problems are you having ?

I use the aritech cs250 myself, 16 zones wirefree, wirefree bellbox.
    never have any problems.. batteries last up to five years, dont like the sensors on the signet but they are bringing out a new design type soon.. what problems are you having ?

Wire free bell box? The Aritech systems don't have a wire free bell :confused:

All my problems are with radio interference, apparently they will be using a different frequency soon, 846Mhz I think which is specifically for security systems. So the problems should be solved.

I've only ever used the aritech/sentrol on takovers and found it to be well made especially the sensor head. IIRC it's only 433Mhz which would account for the interference. The signet is 868Mhz which is more secure but has a shorter range. I always associated the lower frequency with cheap kit

From my understanding 433Mhz is supposed to be used by transmitters that emit small bursts of transmissions but what has happened is that some things have been manufactured that will cause 'chatter' over the airwaves which causes the problems. Although this is rare enough it is a problem when installing lots of systems.

• Advertisement

Wire free bell box? The Aritech systems don't have a wire free bell :confused:

All my problems are with radio interference, apparently they will be using a different frequency soon, 846Mhz I think which is specifically for security systems. So the problems should be solved.

They have a wire free bell box that can go on any system with a 6 core external bell. The receiver gets connected to the ext, int and tamper of the panel and just learn in the bell.. saves alot of hassle running the cable :D
    i have never had any interference with them, i just make sure i put the panel central in the house..

They have a wire free bell box that can go on any system with a 6 core external bell. The receiver gets connected to the ext, int and tamper of the panel and just learn in the bell.. saves alot of hassle running the cable :D
    i have never had any interference with them, i just make sure i put the panel central in the house..

My 'know when someone is joking' sense is turned off this morning. So you are telling me that I have been slaving away wiring bells for years when there was a wire free option. Please tell me you're joking :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My 'know when someone is joking' sense is turned off this morning. So you are telling me that I have been slaving away wiring bells for years when there was a wire free option. Please tell me you're joking :)
    And its made my GE??? No one told me either.
    Anyone got a link to this?

koolkid wrote: »
    And its made my GE??? No one told me either.
    Anyone got a link to this?

Please don't show me a link, I'll be sick as a dog :p

I'll gladly pay twice the price of an SABB for this.

no joke i am afraid..

koolkid wrote: »
    I'll gladly pay twice the price of an SABB for this.

it costs €135 + vat, thats the downside but well worth it..

it costs €135 + vat, thats the downside but well worth it..

Hi Altor,

Could you post where you can buy these and the model number please.

Cheers

Hi Altor,

Could you post where you can buy these and the model number please.

Cheers

AS610RF is the code, Scott & O'Shea Distribution, Ballymount, Dublin 12.

Very little in English about them on the net,
    2 Down sides to them

1) They are horrible looking
    2) They are still using 433 MHz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have seen worse! Stick a logo on it and it will look OK.

as610rf.jpg

If you are installing a wireless alarm system it is normally because the cables are not there or it is not possible/practical to install them. In that case a wireless SAB may be fantastic.

If all that is required is to comply with EN50131 then this unit is more than up to the job.

2011 wrote: »
    I have seen worse! Stick a logo on it and it will look OK.

as610rf.jpg

If you are installing a wireless alarm system it is normally because the cables are not there or it is not possible/practical to install them. In that case a wireless SAB may be fantastic.

If all that is required is to comply with EN50131 then this unit is more than up to the job.

they dont look great but they do the job, as i said they can be used on wired systems or wirefree.. handy for a hassle free install of the external bell..

Advertisement