Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garden overgrown

Options
  • 03-06-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Built a house last year and got the gardens levelled and topsoiled at the same time. In November a friend came in and levelled the garden and put down grass seed in the front. Dont even know why I let him!

Anyway the front garden now has shed loads of weeds and no grass coming up at all. It needs to be rotivated and started from scratch again. But before I rotivate it do I need to spray the garden to kill off any weeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi folks,

Built a house last year and got the gardens levelled and topsoiled at the same time. In November a friend came in and levelled the garden and put down grass seed in the front. Dont even know why I let him!

Anyway the front garden now has shed loads of weeds and no grass coming up at all. It needs to be rotivated and started from scratch again. But before I rotivate it do I need to spray the garden to kill off any weeds?

Spray area with Roundup and groundwork can commence `within 7 days +/-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Spray area with Roundup and groundwork can commence `within 7 days +/-

Was thinking Id have to do that. Dont know why I bothered paying this guy when all he's done is made the damn thing worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Hi folks,

me thinks putting down lawn seeds in november should not have been plan A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What are the weeds?

You might do better to improve the soil - some 'topsoil' can be less than successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

luckat wrote: »
    What are the weeds?

You might do better to improve the soil - some 'topsoil' can be less than successful.

He actually spread out the topsoil we had in November and then proceeded to seed the front garden. There are weeds and thistles growing. Kind of looks like scutch grass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Eww, scutch grass. Sorry to hear that. Nasty stuff to get rid of.

When you do put down new grass seed, put in a bit of nice compost with it, or something like peat moss to bulk out the soil. Then spread netting over it, held up a couple of inches, to keep the birds off, and water it every morning until it's well established.

The grass your friend seeded may simply have died from lack of love and attention. The more gurrier-like scutch grass thrives without human aid.

Advertisement