Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elections 2009 - how they work

Options
  • 03-06-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'll justify putting this in the Galway forum by saying that I'm in the city centre, and mightily disappointed by the candidates lack of interest in my vote: No one's knocked on my door, and I've had a grand total of two flyers through the letterbox, one from a party with two candidates and one from an independent. They might just get my vote because they bothered, even though I didn't like at least some of their promises.

But what I really want is some detail about the election process.

I believe that Galway city has three wards. I've been told that the central ward will have three councillors. Is that true? How many do the other wards get?

I've just realised that the "Vote 1" phrase on some of the posters implies that I can vote for more than one candidate. Is this full STV voting, where I can put ALL the candidates in order? Or less than that, eg the number from the ward?

And what about the MEP vote: how many successful candidates will there be for it? Is it also done with tranferable votes, if so how do they work?

Is there a website somewhere where I can find out more about how the electoral system works?

(I was going to pose all these questions to the first campaigner that I met - but due to lack interest from them boards.ie gets to pick up the slack!)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

All voting is STV proportional representation, be it the European, Local or General Election.

Vote in order of preference. Give number 1 to your favoured candidate and so on along the ballot sheet. You can fill it all the way down (i.e. with 12 runners, you can list preferences all the way down to your 12th) or not. If you were to stop at 3, then after the 3rd transfer, your ballot sheet is put aside and no longer counted.

There's 15 members on the City Council. 7 from Galway East and 4 each from the Central and West Wards.

For the Europeans, there's 3 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Robbo wrote: »

There's 15 members on the City Council. 7 from Galway East and 4 each from the Central and West Wards.
    QUOTE]

Correction: As and from Saturday/Sunday, Galway City East has 6, West has 5 and Central has 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Is it true there about 10,000 wards in Tuam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

jenno86 wrote: »
    Is it true there about 10,000 wards in Tuam?

:D:D:D:D brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

soundbyte wrote: »
    Correction: As and from Saturday/Sunday, Galway City East has 6, West has 5 and Central has 4.

wooooooooooooo getting more seats on da Westsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!

• Advertisement
Advertisement