Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desert Island Disco

• 03-06-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Nicky Holloway's night, IMO he has come with a great concept, basically the music played is voted by you the punter,if a tune gets enough votes it gets played so you could inevitaby hear all types of music mashed up in the mix sounds deadly,seen the photos for the launch night on facebook where Carl Cox showed up to give his support ,i see they are having a club night every Monday in Ibiza throughout the summer which will be a success IMO.
    "Desert Island Disco" aims to bring to you an honest account of what people like you & me really like. No record companies are involved in any way to influence what is in our charts. It's ground up and not the other way around and even though I may not necessary like a certain track, if it gets votes then it gets in.

What started as a bit of fun on facebook is about to turn into something rather more.

Get involved

Nicky Holloway

http://www.desertislanddiscos.com/index.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Was doin a preview of it the other day Jonhnny, i might give Boho a bash myself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

How do you vote though? do you vote on the day? or is it internet voting?

Because if it's the latter i think Ibiza just got it's first Speedcore night courtesy of 4Chan

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

never ceases to amaze me how enthusiastically the great unwashed engage in 'interactive' nonsense.

This is such a retarded idea. So the difference between this 'desert island' thing and a jukebox with a big system is?

jtsuited wrote: »
    So the difference between this 'desert island' thing and a jukebox with a big system is?

Nicky Holloway will be mixing the tunes together!

I can't wait to see him try and mix Iron Maiden, Basshunter, Rotterdam Terror Corps, Aqua's "Barbie Girl", The Blackout Crew and Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" album together...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Nicky Holloway will be mixing the tunes together!

I can't wait to see him try and mix Iron Maiden, Basshunter, Rotterdam Terror Corps, Aqua's "Barbie Girl", The Blackout Crew and Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" album together...

:D

somehow i don't think any of those particular tunes will be included;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonny68 wrote: »
    somehow i don't think any of those particular tunes will be included;)

Ah but if they get enough votes! Remember the BBC online voting a few years back and the winner?!

Actually I reckon an Ableton set that included Iron Maiden, Basshunter, Rotterdam Terror Corps, Aqua's "Barbie Girl", The Blackout Crew and Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" album would probably be a hell of a lot more fun than 99% of the stuff you're likely to hear on Ibiza these days anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

never ceases to amaze me how enthusiastically the great unwashed engage in 'interactive' nonsense.

This is such a retarded idea. So the difference between this 'desert island' thing and a jukebox with a big system is?

Id echo these sentiments, I mean they do this type of **** all the time now. I mean the hawtin cube, where you can talk to hawtin and the gang if you have an iphone or whatever, why would you go to a techno event to do that? Surely you just want to get mad out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

There are different reasons to go to see a dj.

Mine are:

1. Get mad out of it!
    2. Hear music that I've hopefully never heard before that makes being mad out of it a completely deadly buzz.
    3. Get even more mad out of it.

REasons I don't go to see a dj:
    1. To get on the guest list and talk to said dj (unless he was a real hero of mine).
    2. To let someone other than the dj decide what music to play.
    3. To see some sort of gimmicky interactivity/democracy that would even put reality tv to shame.
    4. To hear people go on about what festivals they are going to (last september, EVERY girl I met was just sooooo looking forward to I Love Techno).

Ah I'm rambling here...

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Ah but if they get enough votes! Remember the BBC online voting a few years back and the winner?!

Nicky Holloway would attract a more mature older audience therefore i highly doubt any of the aftementioned tunes would be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So is it guaranteed that every song with the most votes gets played? I'd say there's an awful lot of creative selection that goes on by the DJ......."not playing that, not playing that, not playing that.....ooh might play that....not playing that, not playing that, not playing that......hmmm interesting, not playing that, not playing that"

It's like when you hear people ringing into a commercial station asking for the DJ to play the latest Beyonce song. :rolleyes: Why request it? He's gonna play it anyway.

It's just a gimmick really, akin to something you'd see dishcotec in da country, "We're no takin requests boy!"

jonny68 wrote: »
    Nicky Holloway would attract a more mature older audience therefore i highly doubt any of the aftementioned tunes would be included.

Wait till 4Chan get their hands on the online vote....

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

4. To hear people go on about what festivals they are going to (last september, EVERY girl I met was just sooooo looking forward to I Love Techno).

You mean girls go to these festivals? Wow, who knew? ;)

Nicky Holloway takes the p*ss out of Dragons Den,classic :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeKx6T9-xoM

Advertisement