Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

landrover freelander

• 03-06-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

whats everyones views on the freelander 2.0 diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

What year? There's three completely different 2.0 diesels in the freelander. The first generation had either the L-series Rover engine which was a fine engine in it's day but that day is long past, it also had a far superior BMW common rail lump which was badged TD4. The latest model has a Peugeot derived diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

I'd stay well away from Freelander's. There impossible to sell and when you try and trade them in nobody wants them hence they give you a very poor price.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

good advise man, i had an alfa gtv i bought for 7k before and no garage would touch the thing with a barge pole when i wanted to sell it, i want to go with a good diesel, i had a 406 and it was excellent, i was thinking an a4 or a passat 130bhp, any advise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Series II Freelander is nowhere near as bad as the Series I was.

OP, tell us what your requirements are in a car and how much your budget is. We then might be in a better position to recommend something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Is reliability an issue? - if yes, buy a Hilux.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

freelanderheadgasket.co.uk

Just stay away from them no matter what engine is in them!
    Im told they're very economical though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Make sure there is a towing eye on the front of it, you won't need one on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

thethedev wrote: »

Have you actually read that web page? Do you know what engines it refers to?

Its just ignorance OP, the diesel freelander is great. Had one alongside a Kuga for a while and honestly the Kuga (although it gets great reviews) is a bag of sh*te. Freelander is much better all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Get that info right, that only refers to the 1.8k series rover engine. The td4 is a beamer engine and its really good. Op if you can get one cheap, i'd get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Get that info right, that only refers to the 1.8k series rover engine. The td4 is a beamer engine and its really good. Op if you can get one cheap, i'd get one! And the freelander2 is quite good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why has no one mentioned that they have the most tiny cramped cabin? Smaller than a ford focus.there are far better cars for less money.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why has no one mentioned that they have the most tiny cramped cabin? Smaller than a ford focus.there are far better cars for less money.

Are you talking freelander II? They have quite a large cabin, definitely bigger than a focus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

The diesel in the series I td4 may be bmw sourced but it is noisy, unrefined and slow albeit reliable.

I think the OP needs to clarify if he is considering the Freelander I or Freelander II as they are entirely different propositions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

i think im gonna stay away from them now, but im strongly concidering a 130bhp audi or passat diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

As a former Freelander owner steer well clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Nothing majorily wrong with the Freelander 1 TD4, and if you can afford one post 04, it has a facelift and a much fresher interior.

The only thing that would worry me in the TD4 and window regulators. Make sure they're all working, and like everything, that it has a full service history.

Can't go too far wrong IMO, if you get one for the right money.

Advertisement