Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No power in kitchen

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Hi experts,

Hopefully someone can help. The nearest answer to my question is in this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055339409

Basically all power in the house went yesterday but for the lights, got it going today except for sockets in kitchen. One circuit is tripping and switching off all the power ( I'm not an electrician so I hope my poor explaination makes sense).

Tried unplugging everything in the kitchen but even then the when I try to switch the circuit back on the main switch trips.

I am at a loss. I changed the main fuse but the old one hadn't blown.

Just hoping there might be an obvious solution or guide someone can point me to before I get a fella out to tell me I should have just pressed a button somewhere.

thanks in advance. No prize for anyone that says "call an electrician".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

There is most likely something still plugged in that you are missing. Dont forget things like washing machines or dishwashers. You would be surprised how many times people don't realise something is still connected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Thanks for the reply Davy but I have gotten everything on the third sweep. Extractor fan/hob hood, hidden dishwasher plug.....I have nothing left in my kitchen connected to anything. Absolutely positively........

Except the oven and hob,which are directly connected to the mains and still working. Could either of these be affecting it? I'ves not tried that as they are not "plugged in"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you really have got everything unplugged then it sounds like leakage to earth on the kitchen circuit. By main switch I assume you mean the RCD - the unit with the test button on it? If this is tripping and the kitchen MCB is not then that would point to a fault. Check again for kettles, toasters, fridges, freezers etc still plugged in. Also look for any water spillages or leaks which may have got into a socket backbox, especially under countertops near washing machines, dishwashers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Cheers Pete,

I've read this possibility a couple of times. I'll pull out the dishwasher and washing machine tomorrow. Washing machine is going grand so it must be on another circuit (it's not in the kitchen) but the dishwasher isn't going so you might be onto something. Is it just a matter of containing that problem and moving on or does the dishwasher need to go into the proverbial bin?

Dishwasher is unplugged by the way if that makes a difference??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

Pete67 wrote: »
    If you really have got everything unplugged then it sounds like leakage to earth on the kitchen circuit. By main switch I assume you mean the RCD - the unit with the test button on it? If this is tripping and the kitchen MCB is not then that would point to a fault. Check again for kettles, toasters, fridges, freezers etc still plugged in. Also look for any water spillages or leaks which may have got into a socket backbox, especially under countertops near washing machines, dishwashers etc.

I agree with Pete67. If it is the RCD - the unit with the test button it almost always means that an electrical circuit has contact with water. (Particularly where everything worked fine previously.)

Kettles, dishwashers, central heating pumps, immersion heaters, anything in contact with water are all suspects. Maybe water has got into a wall socket?

• Advertisement
Advertisement