Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jail for getting teens drink

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

with the number of teens drinking going off the radar,what about a one year jail sentence for anyone caught buying drink for teens,that would make you think twice before you get it for them
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

paddyboy23 wrote: »
    with the number of teens drinking going off the radar,what about a one year jail sentence for anyone caught buying drink for teens,that would make you think twice before you get it for them
    Up until now getting proof was the big hold back for prosecution with unlawful alcoholic purchases for minors.

Quite soon it could be a possibility for mandatory smart card ID for any alcoholic purchases along with electronic tagging on all alcoholic beverages. In the UK legislation is currently being drafted in requiring mandatory CCTV installed at all off sales counters.

In the not so distant future If a minor is caught in the possession of a can of beer all the authorities will have to do is swipe the can with a scanner and all information will be revealed. :eek:

Civil liberties groups will be up in arms over all this when it will be enacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

A jail sentence would be very heavy handed. We always used to get people to buy us drink. It was wrong but teenagers need to push their boundaries a bit and make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.
    They'll all settle down in a few years.
    In fact the upcoming generation are a lot better than most of the adults out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

That's mad!

I think we should lower the age limit for restaurants and cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I had a friend go to prison for a few days for buying drink for minors - did it as a favour, they got caught and squelt on him. He had a previous conviction for drunk and disorderly so got sent to prison for about five days. Ridiculous. Gardai have enough to be doing (or should be doing) than bothering about a few 16 year olds having a few cans in a field and causing no trouble to anybody.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fact the upcoming generation are a lot better than most of the adults out there today.

You'll find that the vast majority of people think the very opposite,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

jdivision wrote: »
    I had a friend go to prison for a few days for buying drink for minors - did it as a favour, they got caught and squelt on him. He had a previous conviction for drunk and disorderly so got sent to prison for about five days. Ridiculous. Gardai have enough to be doing (or should be doing) than bothering about a few 16 year olds having a few cans in a field and causing no trouble to anybody.

i understand what your saying but your not getting my point,how many 14,15,16year olds do just that have a few beers and go home none thats not the way it works, if parents are allowing kids drink not much gardai can do anyway other than take it off them and they just go get more, ive seen what this drink can do when it gets a grip on you and if this buying drink for teens dont stop were going to see a lot more of it so a custodial sentence for anyone caught buying drink for them,this is going to be a serious problem for our kids if its not sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

A jail sentence would be very heavy handed. We always used to get people to buy us drink. It was wrong but teenagers need to push their boundaries a bit and make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

thats the problem kids today dont grow up they live in a fantasy world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

You're kidding me?! If kids want to drink they'll drink! We were all kids once and we all remember the stuff we used to get up to. Some of my funniest memories involve being locked with some friends. I drank the odd time from when I was 14. I'm now 23 and I don't drink that much at all.. so it had no bad effect on me apart from enjoying it.

Yes go and make it harder for kids to get drink, but end of the day they'll still get it. Its not knowing what to do with it that causes the problems or not having harsher penalties for vandalism is where its lacking. I get asked the odd time to buy drink for kids(16 or so) when going into my local shop. I always say no and then get cursed out of it. I remember what it was like wanting to go out and have some fun but not being able to get the drink and not understanding why someone wouldnt buy it for us when they're going in there anyway.

I'd say 40% of 16 yr olds+ go out to clubs. Its what you do at that age. I don't see how so many people criticise this problem when the path was paved by them in previous years.

thats the problem kids today dont grow up they live in a fantasy world

I think you are under valuing teenagers value system. I didn't drink when I was a teen (well not until the age of 17). And I amn't a big drinker (I can hold my drink, I know when to stop). Teens know. They know all about drink. There are plenty of people who just don't drink, because they don't like the feeling it gives them or because they don't like the taste.

Reducing the age to 16 in Restureants and Cafes would be a much better idea, but it couldn't just become a "cafe" just to serve 16 year olds drink.

I remember being stop by some younger kids when I was about 19 outside a shop, I just said no your too close to the shop otherwise I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

i understand what your saying but your not getting my point,how many 14,15,16year olds do just that have a few beers and go home none thats not the way it works,.
    I disagree entirely, very few teenagers cause anti-social behaviour, it's usually in particular areas and it's caused as much by the Gardai not being interested in doing anything about it than anything else

if parents are allowing kids drink not much gardai can do anyway other than take it off them and they just go get more,,.
    Parents are allowed give their kids alcohol in the family home. I think this is a sensible way to introduce teenagers of 16+ to alcohol, a glass of wine the odd time with dinner etc.

ive seen what this drink can do when it gets a grip on you and if this buying drink for teens dont stop were going to see a lot more of it so a custodial sentence for anyone caught buying drink for them,this is going to be a serious problem for our kids if its not sorted,.
    Your experience with alcohol is your own. Teenagers have always drunk in this country and always will. If somebody doesn't buy it for them they'll just use fake IDs. Your proposal is not a solution imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Originally Posted by BarneyMagee
    Cabaal wrote: »
    You'll find that the vast majority of people think the very opposite,

That's exactly my point. The vast majority of people seem to have a virginial and pure memory of their youth when in reality it was no different and was even worse than what kids of today are doing.
    When I was teenager there was virtually no sex education, alcohol was easy to get hold of, no community/garda repsonse to anti social behaviour.

Us in the media are probable to blame for portraying today's teenagers as wild, out of control kids but I have no fear for the future. They'll all settle down in a few years and in 10 to 15 years time they'll be saying. "My God, aren't the kids of today out of control. when I was their age were never did anything like that."

Teenagers always had a bad reputation for no real reason. I think it is jealousy. (Those bastards).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Moved to After Hours - meant to do it the other day but forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Do adults still buy drink for teens? I know people who have changed their date of birth on their passport to buy drink and get into pubs, your suggestion is redundant OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What's the point? There isn't an empty gaol cell in the country.
    You don't have a spare bedroom, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

A fine would be better surely.

Jail terms aren't the problem here anyway, it's the Guards completely over look teenage drinking and don't do anything about it. If jail sentences were introduced, which they won't, they'd rarely, if ever, be handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Ye are all wrong.
    To curb teen drinking we should gather up all the 13 year old kids & make them drink at least 6 cans of Fosters & have a few swigs from a naggin of vodka, no mixer allowed.
    They'll be sooo sick they probably won't ever want to touch alcohol ever again.
    No need to thank me, I know I'm a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Who's going to pay for all this alcohol?

You have to think these things through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

So for rape you can get a suspended sentence and for buying a few tins for 17 teen year olds a year in mountjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Ye are all wrong.
    To curb teen drinking we should gather up all the 13 year old kids & make them drink at least 6 cans of Fosters & have a few swigs from a naggin of vodka, no mixer allowed.
    They'll be sooo sick they probably won't ever want to touch alcohol ever again.
    No need to thank me, I know I'm a genius.

Is that not what some of them do already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It was wrong but teenagers need to push their boundaries a bit and make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Like the teenagers that killed the two Polish guys in Dimnagh?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0301/drimnagh.html

What fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

A few cans & some vodka wouldn't be as expensive as getting your stomach pumped &/ or getting knocked up because you were locked drunk. Doctors & nurses time isn't being unduly wasted & little 'Britney' will have less chance of draining your taxes because she wasn't concieved in a 10 second ride.
    Also the government would be leading by example if they supported Irish retailers by buying the drink off them.

It's all in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Noes! Who is the government going to appoint to fill in for our drink buyers? Im telling ya the TFMHALD are going to cause war over this!

They dont even need people to buy them drink. They just buy it themselves.

My sister just turned 17 and can get in anywhere(and has been for the last year) using my older sisters driving license and that appears very common now.

It was quite funny there a few weeks back we were going into the night club for my sisters 21st. She didnt have her id,and was refused entry, as my younger sister had the id and we were at the back of the queue. She came back and got it leaving my young sister with no ID up we walked and she wasnt even asked, I thought it was very funny.

Oh and no fecking way should there be a year in jail for it. I wouldn't agree with people under 16 drinking but after that I wouldn't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Blay wrote: »
    Do adults still buy drink for teens? I know people who have changed their date of birth on their passport to buy drink and get into pubs, your suggestion is redundant OP.

HOW ?

the new passports are not able to be easily altered ,if they were there would be no point in having them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Martin

I think the teens should be given a bible, not a prison sentence, my congregation this year is going to show a lot of chivalry but we usually throw a bible reading sesh in the hall for the weekend, mixed teens slamming a few verses or just kickin it by the jukebox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Quite soon it could be a possibility for mandatory smart card ID for any alcoholic purchases along with electronic tagging on all alcoholic beverages.

With extreme, near page-tearing, emphasis on the word could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

TheZohan wrote: »
    Like the teenagers that killed the two Polish guys in Dimnagh?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0301/drimnagh.html

Yes because every teenager who drinks then goes around stabbing Polish people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

delllat wrote: »
    HOW ?

the new passports are not able to be easily altered ,if they were there would be no point in having them

I'm not going to detail passport fraud on the internet now am I?

But believe me it can be done I've seen it first hand. The passport can still be used to travel etc, it doesn't alter the actual passport as it was issued in any way as the alteration can be undone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

So some kid raids their parents drinks cabinet, goes out and ends up in casualty and their dad ends up in prison for a year and loses his house because he can't keep up with the mortgage payments, loses his job and can't get another one because of his criminal record, and the whole family ends up in care / on welfare / joining the queue for a council house.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement