Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film and Music store rummaging in Cork

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

As a teen back in the 90's I remember trawling thru alot of decent music/film stores in Cork City. The joy of finding a rare single or obscure vhs video was usually possible in the following stores:

Golden Discs (poor range but the odd obscure music/film choice sometimes snuck in!)

Easons. Again mostly mainstream, but a few items that sat on the shelves for years could be found well after having sold out after initial release.

FM Music Store, when this was a decent music store in the 'Queens Old Castle".

HMV, Had a decent single collection, and often back catalog singles would pop up. Also had a decent selection of 'Widescreen' VHS before the 'intentional black bars' craze really took off!

Vibes n Scribes, a latecomer but great for those secondhand bargains, when others decided CDRs and DVDRs were enough and original pressings could be sold off.

Xtra-Vision, next to the English Market laneway, great for ex-rental VHS.

I am now living overseas, but recently came back and when wandering around was disappointed by the (apparent) lack of stores now present. Virgin Megastore, Golden Discs, Xtravision gone. HMV selection is generic and Easons is purely a book store.

Has on-line shopping and internet downloading influenced this? Do other decent shops exist?

I still love the thrill hunting thru stacks of old albums/videos in the back of a shop and finding something i've been looking for, for years.

One mans trash is always anothers man treasure....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Virgin Megastore became Zavvi, Zavvi went into Liquidation.

There are some places around where you can get good Vinyl and whatnot. And also places where you can get CD's from obscure bands.

But with the advent of the Internet we can listen to all the obscure music we want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Go to Plug'd Records on Washington Street. They have an excellent range of "obscure" music, they do 2nd hand CD's and the staff are very knowledgeable about music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 janelovestravel

rubberneck wrote: »
    As a teen back in the 90's I remember trawling thru alot of decent music/film stores in Cork City. The joy of finding a rare single or obscure vhs video was usually possible in the following stores:

Golden Discs (poor range but the odd obscure music/film choice sometimes snuck in!)

Easons. Again mostly mainstream, but a few items that sat on the shelves for years could be found well after having sold out after initial release.

FM Music Store, when this was a decent music store in the 'Queens Old Castle".

HMV, Had a decent single collection, and often back catalog singles would pop up. Also had a decent selection of 'Widescreen' VHS before the 'intentional black bars' craze really took off!

Vibes n Scribes, a latecomer but great for those secondhand bargains, when others decided CDRs and DVDRs were enough and original pressings could be sold off.

Xtra-Vision, next to the English Market laneway, great for ex-rental VHS.

I am now living overseas, but recently came back and when wandering around was disappointed by the (apparent) lack of stores now present. Virgin Megastore, Golden Discs, Xtravision gone. HMV selection is generic and Easons is purely a book store.

Has on-line shopping and internet downloading influenced this? Do other decent shops exist?

I still love the thrill hunting thru stacks of old albums/videos in the back of a shop and finding something i've been looking for, for years.

One mans trash is always anothers man treasure....

Got some fantastic bargains on foreign film, good for people who like quality film, seems the selection is all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Virgin Megastore became Zavvi, Zavvi went into Liquidation.

What about the new Director's Cut where Zaavi used to be? Has anyone been there? It's a discount DVD store afaik?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

simu wrote: »
    What about the new Director's Cut where Zaavi used to be? Has anyone been there? It's a discount DVD store afaik?

According to the Zavvi is replaced thread the new store opens this weekend. I'll go & check it out today, I love to rummage too.:D

• Advertisement

Had a quick look around Directors Cut & it isnt great. You would really have to spend a lot of time digging through the shelves which I didnt do.

They mainly had the newer stuff as you entered the store & a small section for World Cinema priced around 10-12 Euro (any idea how to get the Euro symbol on Boards?).

The best bet for picking up something worthwhile maybe in the previewed section which are priced about 6 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Director's Cut is pretty cool, although its layout isn't fantastic so you have to have a fair bit of time to root out any gems. The previously viewed sections are absolutely huge, but not in any kind of order so you could be at them forever. Having said that though I found some good stuff, and the 4 for 18 offer is great value (or 5.98 each). Their world cinema section is pretty good. The tv boxsets are fairly limited but you can't complain about the prices of them.

Happy enough with it overall, but as I said you really have to have time on your side going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

There is a place across from Casey`s furniture on Oliver Plunkett Street.

mudokon wrote: »
    They mainly had the newer stuff as you entered the store & a small section for World Cinema priced around 10-12 Euro (any idea how to get the Euro symbol on Boards?).

That's cool. World cinema dvds are ususally a huge rip-off in HMV etc.

simu wrote: »
    That's cool. World cinema dvds are ususally a huge rip-off in HMV etc.

The prices were good for them but the selection was a bit small & some of them I had seen for cheaper in HMV.

I went back today as I had a bit more time & found a 2 disc version of Ichi the Killer in the previewed section. Worked out at 4.50 for it as I got a few other films as well. I have only seen the single disc edition in town before & that was for over 30 euro. :D

It defintely pays to look around in there if you have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

They have a decent enough World Cinema section but not enough choice there, some nice movies though that you don't see very often. Most of them €9.99 but some of the rare or special ones more expensive (€30+). Some of them I was surprised to see on the shelf, including the most ****ed up/sick movie ever made.

Got O Brother Where Art Thou? because it was €2.99 and a couple of others at normal price, and a free copy of About Adam that will do nicely as a coaster.

Illkillya wrote: »
    Some of them I was surprised to see on the shelf, including the most ****ed up/sick movie ever made.

What film is that? I saw a film in there that I heard was supposed to be a ****ed up/sick movie but I havent seen it so I was wondering if we were thinking of the same film?
    a free copy of About Adam that will do nicely as a coaster.

I got the free coaster too. :rolleyes:

I noticed some of their DVD's didnt have IFCO ratings as well, wonder if they'll get in trouble for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

What film is that? I saw a film in there that I heard was supposed to be a ****ed up/sick movie but I havent seen it so I was wondering if we were thinking of the same film?

Didn't want to mention it in case the power of the negative suggestion (don't press the red button) resulted in someone from here getting it, but it is called Salo. I watched it expecting that the unpleasantness was over hyped, because people had told me before that movies like Audition and hostel were ****ed up, but they were actually just entertaining. But this one is just horrible, leaves a really bad feeling so that it is the only film I wish I had never seen.

Didn't want to mention it in case the power of the negative suggestion (don't press the red button) resulted in someone from here getting it, but it is called Salo.

I'd have probably been the same but the tagline of that on IMDB doesnt make it sound like there are any redeeming qualities to it.

I was thinking of I Spit on Your Grave Which I had heard about years ago & was supposed to be sickening too. I had forgotten all about it until going into Directors Cut & seeing loads of them on the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LadyLee

Had a quick look around Directors Cut & it isnt great. You would really have to spend a lot of time digging through the shelves which I didnt do.

The best bet for picking up something worthwhile maybe in the previewed section which are priced about 6 Euro

I was in there during the week and the world cinema section was HUGE, I have never seen such a section and thats including my trips to Dublin (Laser, Tower etc). They had all the tartan and tartan asia extreme titles,(got lady vengence 2 disc SE for 11.99!) Loads of BFI (now they were expensive but they are never cheap around) and a whole section of Artifical eye! Such great news after all the disappointment with the kino etc.
    Didnt find much in the Prev viewed section as I didnt have time to look through...Next time im in town ill have a good root and let ye know what goodies I find :D

LadyLee wrote: »
    I was in there during the week and the world cinema section was HUGE, I have never seen such a section and thats including my trips to Dublin (Laser, Tower etc). They had all the tartan and tartan asia extreme titles,(got lady vengence 2 disc SE for 11.99!) Loads of BFI (now they were expensive but they are never cheap around) and a whole section of Artifical eye! Such great news after all the disappointment with the kino etc.
    Didnt find much in the Prev viewed section as I didnt have time to look through...Next time im in town ill have a good root and let ye know what goodies I find :D

It has got much better in there recently, they have organised their pre-viewed stuff into alphabetical order which is a big help. I guess they just wanted to open as early as possible so just threw stuff onto the shelves.

There is a great collection of foreign films in there now as well which is one of the best things about the place.

Look forward to hearing if you find anything good. If you see a copy of The King of Kong in there hide it for me. :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LadyLee

It has got much better in there recently, they have organised their pre-viewed stuff into alphabetical order which is a big help. I guess they just wanted to open as early as possible so just threw stuff onto the shelves.

There is a great collection of foreign films in there now as well which is one of the best things about the place.

Look forward to hearing if you find anything good. If you see a copy of The King of Kong in there hide it for me. :cool::pac:

Ya its great- and no body has mentioned how good it is here! Guess people just like whinging! ("oh my gawd I cant believe the kino is closing"... whinge whinge... They probably have not been there in 5 years- Ok now i am just being bitchy )LOL If I find it ill buy it- throw on a few quid and sell it to you;) Only Kidding...

Interesting. I will go for a browse soon and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mutleyhound

Would recommend a trip to Dungarvan - found a shop called Ben ONeills there great selection of music really good - trad,blues,jazz,roots,reggae - pretty impressive

Advertisement